1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SPOILERS THREAD] Avengers: Endgame

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

When did they hint at Namor? Whales in NY? I don't like Namor as a character, but I'm sure they can rewrite him. It'd be a cool way to properly introduce mutants as something to fear and hate.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Watching it again, there's more continuity issues... Nebula dead but didn't disappear back to the Future style (I know, I know...).

Tony could still use the stones to wipe the baddies into their uninterrupted past but that dusting animation seems reserved for one thing only.

I like gamora but after hearing how the stones are almighty and even all six stones can't undo the soul contract, I'm not sure how they bring her back short of cloning her on a volcano planet and doing a mind meld.

namor is a mutant...Prob caused a rights issue because Disney hated muties and let wanda in for her sexy good looks.

3. marky :)

marky :) Member

The Nebula that died was from an alternate timeline and based on the time travel rules they established in the movie, whatever happens in the past will not effect them in the future. I think they even specifically said in the movie the Back to the Future time travel rules do not apply.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I guess the only thing the ancient one cares about is getting her Green bling back.

If we're going with lame theories, Rogers could consult with the ancient one for some kind of El Chapo spell. His face would be different to anyone he wanted to hide from... Even pictures.

I still think his timeline is the same as everyone else's.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Our Cap used a Pym particle to travel back to our timeline and pass the shield to Sam.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Underwater Earthquakes

Rocket River

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

What? Who has the rights? I thought Marvel Disney now has all the rights?

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

MASSIVE Breakdown by the writers themselves. Too big to post here: LINK

BUT...they do clarify and even give my 'Return the Soul Stone for BW' theory here:

Why does Natasha Romanoff have to die?

McFEELY Her journey, in our minds, had come to an end if she could get the Avengers back. She comes from such an abusive, terrible, mind-control background, so when she gets to Vormir and she has a chance to get the family back, that’s a thing she would trade for. The toughest thing for us was we were always worried that people weren’t going to have time to be sad enough. The stakes are still out there and they haven’t solved the problem. But we lost a big character — a female character — how do we honor it? We have this male lens and it’s a lot of guys being sad that a woman died.

MARKUS Tony gets a funeral. Natasha doesn’t. That’s partly because Tony’s this massive public figure and she’s been a cipher the whole time. It wasn’t necessarily honest to the character to give her a funeral. The biggest question about it is what Thor raises there on the dock. “We have the Infinity Stones. Why don’t we just bring her back?”

McFEELY But that’s the everlasting exchange. You bring her back, you lose the stone.
    This is literally what Cap does, in my theory. He HAS to take the stone back....and to do so, he loses the stone and brings her back!

BruceAndre likes this.
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Going back on Wednesday. This time I think I'll enjoy it more

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The movie was really well done. I'm surprised by how few issues they have considering they introduced time travel into it, which normally just breaks any movie. I think my only true issue was that it didn't make sense that Captain America would be there as an old man if he stayed with Peggy Carter instead of traveling back. It should have created an alternate timeline and he never would have been there to say goodbye. But that was a minor thing and one I forgave in order to have Cap be able to get to live a life with his love AND say goodbye and pass on his legacy.

The Dr Strange seeing the future and determining there was only one iteration of the future events in which they won was a teensy bit of a copout, to me. It automatically nixes any other idea you might have as to how they should have done things differently. Per Strange, somehow it still would have failed.

My initial thoughts were that if they were limited on Pym particles, then rather than travel back to multiple different times with smaller groups of people, they should instead travel to the planet where farmer Thanos retires, the 30 minutes or so before he snaps his fingers. Then they can be there to meet him when he teleports (and remember, he was super weak after the finger snap in the previous movie...so to me he would have been weak enough for the collective group to somehow get that gauntlet off him). Then you don't have multiple plans that have to all come off without a hitch. But Dr Strange said only one way, so I guess somehow that would have failed.

Still, it was a fantastic movie. I totally agree with whoever said that the Avengers Assemble part was worth the price of admission alone. Anything else that might have felt slightly off prior to that moment was INSTANTLY forgiven, because they just nailed that moment and that whole sequence perfectly. I went in to this film CONVINCED that Cap was going to die. It would have wrecked me if Captain America had died, but he was going one-on-one with Thanos and holding his own with the hammer until he gets knocked down. I just knew in that instant that I was about to see his end...and then everything changes. It was so fantastic. I want to watch the movie 3 more times over just to experience that again.

So happy to have lived through this series with all these characters. I can't see anyone else ever pulling something off like this ever again. The degree to which it succeeded, the sheer volume of amazing characters and the perfect casting choices with each. I'll still watch the next phase of Marvel but I just can't see it being the same.

Kim likes this.
  11. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I can't remember, did Thor cut Thanos's arm as well or was that someone else?

12. marky :)

marky :) Member

Yeah it was Thor when they first ambushed Thanos on his farm.

BruceAndre likes this.
  13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Sort of. It appeared to me that he used the prototype gauntlet created for the Hulk and secretly modified his armor to handle the power of the infinity stones.That was always his backup plan I suppose. At any rate it was well played byTony Stark even though it cost him his life.

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Right. If you go back to Infinity War, Dr. Strange tells Tony that he would sacrifice all their lives to protect the Time Stone. Yet, when Thanos impales Tony, Strange saves his life by handing over the Time Stone telling Tony that "it's the only way". Then in Endgame, when Strange shows up with the others to fight Thanos' army, during the heat of the battle Tony asks him about what he saw and Strange says "If I tell you it won't happen". That's when I realized that Stark/Iron Man was going to die which was borne out when Strange and Tony lock eyes onto each other during the battle where Strange looks at Tony and appears to say "You know what must be done". It was also the only way Tony could ensure that the current timeline would continue for Pepper and his daughter. Having the hero make this ultimate sacrifice is a recurrent theme throughout science fiction. The same thing happens in Five Million Years To Earth, FailSafe, Star Trek II, Lifeforce and Babylon 5.

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

At least we know now that If they ever fight a stronger enemy, they can just jump back in time 4 times and grab extra captain marvels

jcf, Jontro, dmoneybangbang and 2 others like this.
  16. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Any argument against Wanda being the strongest avenger currently? (Because Rune god Thor and world breaker Hulk don’t exist yet).

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So is the logic that:
    A) Used our portal to go back in time
    B) Got there and decided to stay so removed the GPS
    C) They fired our portal up and no one came through
    D) He lived his life and somewhere along the line taught someone in his timeline how to recreate the time travel mechanism that Tony Stark develops so he could travel forward to this time again to give the shield

LOL?

or:
    A-C stay the same
    D) he just lived to this point and snuck on them and sat down on that bench without them noticing?

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

Either her or Marvel.

They’ll probably just introduce another stronger minority female character in phase 4

19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

They established that you can time jump with the GPS watch only. I think the portal on the return side acts as a beacon to jump back to.

He shouldn't be able to live his life with Peggy and walk to that bench unless he time jumped. It's a completely alternate reality.

20. DreamRoxCoogFan

Enjoyed the movie and have seen all the MCU. My only issue is- I never truly understood Thanos' convictions. He so strongly believed that the universe was overpopulated that he needed to destroy half the population. And that was the motivation for getting the stones. Then in Endgame, he decides that his original plan was misguided because no one is able to move on, so instead he will wipe out the entire universe and create a new population? Then why bother doing anything at all in the first place if you're planning to destroy everyone?

I get that you need a villan, but the premise is... odd. But then again, thats only half as odd as a universe with a billionaire that cares about other people.