1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Dec 28, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Barring a trade up, Texans won't pick again until Round 5/161 overall

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um....the problem with Coutee was his hamstring. When he played.......he was VERY effective. Both TEs had good moments and showed improvement. Rankin missing all offseason was his problem. Let's see where he is this training camp.

There is also a pass rusher that RAC didn't use enough that should be used this year.

His drafts have been very good...imho.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Why you gotta make me sad face?

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

So far maybe one starter was drafted(Scharping). This draft was supposed fix what wasn't fixed in free agency. Not too good of a job so far. Just okay was not what we were expecting but that is what we got.

CallMeTheDream and cjvnyc like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

As AT&T says...[​IMG]

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think Howard and Warring could surprise. I can't imagine Howard starting against NFL caliber left tackles right away, but I could see him being used after the bye or something.

Warring will be a situational matchup guy, but I think he'll get play right away.

I think Lonnie Johnson is a day one nickel or third corner.

Might as well be three stsrters.

I'm upset with a project guy that probably won't start as a first round pick. Hopefully he surprises.

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Great draft for the Texans so far

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

My "knee jerk reaction" to the Coutee pick was "love the player, but taken a round too early". I think the Texans could have traded back to the 5th and still gotten him. But I can't get too mad about that. They tried really hard to make the tight ends work. They tried. But I thought there were better tight ends available (Ian Thomas, Schultz, Dissly). It seems so many of the players they draft are projects. Rankin's problem was the position he was drafted to play. I'm sure he'll end up being good (most likely at guard) but doesn't change he was drafted to play the wrong position. Duke is still a question mark, as he was when he was drafted.

Nook likes this.
  9. htownbball

htownbball Member

Still some good value CBs to be had in the 4th. Julian Love might not be a fit given his lack of size and speed, but the pedigree is there.

Amani from Penn State is still there as well as the high ceiling Isaiah Johnson from UH. Doubt we trade back up but we could use the depth

DE Charles Omenihu could be a rotational piece at DE with his size at 6'5 280lbs

HstnSprtsFan101 likes this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I agree with the dislike of projects. It goes back to the quiet noise you hear about the Texans staff thinking they're the smartest guys around.

So far the coaching hasn't borne any fruit to support that.

coachbadlee, cjvnyc and Nimo like this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Texans don't have a fourth. Except they trade up, it's going to be a while before they pick again. Most of those guys are going to be gone.

13. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The Panthers got quarterback, will Grier. Cam Newton needs more heart.

14. HstnSprtsFan101

lol

Fulgore likes this.
  15. Bob Barker 007

I like Omenihu as a late round pick. Texas has had multiple good players who have gone really late or undrafted, like Poona Ford and Holton Hill.

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. You wouldn't have gotten Coutee in the 5th. He shown he is should have been a 2nd round pick. The TEs were fine. Thomas showed showed himself to be a redzone WEAPON and a good blocker. Atkins was starting to show in the season half the season. They were not used enough. Hopefully, the new OC does a better job. Rankin was never draft to be a tackle. They thought he could play RT, but he was drafted to be a guard/center.
    He progression was hurt by the broken foot.

This stupid idea.."let's keep trading back for MORE picks" is just idiotic. Trading back in the 4 round or later is just not wise. If you have a player u like, take him. The odds you find a bunch a later round Gems gets ridiculously small the later the draft goes.

Roc Paint likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

In what world do you live? Coutee didn’t show he should be a second rounder. He can’t stay on the field to save his life. No team in the NFL would give up a second rounder for him right now. None.

Rankin was drafted to be a tackle. Dope head himself said so last year. He is a guard and everyone but the Texans knew it.

I am fine with the Thomas pick. Good blocker and very talented.

Texans draft has been okay but no one is in a position to say he has been all that good or bad at the draft after so little time.

Nimo likes this.
  18. Nimo

Nimo Member

According to WalterFootball, Coutee was ranked as the 12th best WR. He wasn't on most other lists as they didn't rank more than 10. He was the 11th WR selected. It is very conceivable he would have been available in the 5th. The guy only played one year of good football at Tech; on a big 12 offense. He was average the year before. Like I said I liked the player, I'm not complaining. I just don't think it was an amazing pick. Time will tell but Justin Reid is the only known sure-fire commodity from last year.

Only a Texans fan would call four touchdowns in a season as a reszone WEAPON!!!! (cue: lowered expectations). Obviously the Texans disagree as they signed a TE and just drafted another one. Rankin was absolutely drafted to be a tackle. The Texans said it themselves. And they had just signed two guards prior to the draft.

Someone needs to tell the rest of the league that they have stupid ideas. What are teams like the Patriots, Seahawks, Vikings, Rams, and Colts thinking? Don't they know Mr Scarface thinks trading down to get more picks is "idiotic"?

Nook likes this.
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Their body language screams ... that their dog just died. Like all of their favorite players got drafted one slot before their pick.

CallMeTheDream and Nook like this.
  20. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Have y'all not talked about the Colts and Chris Ballard yet or did I miss it?
    Can't stand that team but damn I love their draft picks in EVERY round so far. Ballard is just coming out ahead once again.

Nook likes this.