1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Joe 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

So humble.

Next.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

He's too old. He would be 78 entering office and 86 at the end of eight years in office.

My parents are both 89 years old. They are both pretty sharp mentally for their age. But, there has been a significant decline in both of them physically and mentally over the past ten years. The decline can happen very rapidly.

I would feel much more comfortable having a President in the 40-65 age range. The job is very demanding for anyone who is doing the job properly.

Look, I'll confess that I've never been a big Biden fan to begin with. He's never seemed like the brightest guy to me. I would of course choose Biden, or just about anyone else over Trump. But, I think the Dems can do better than Joe Biden.

I do think Biden is generally good person. I do think that is important.

BruceAndre, dmoneybangbang and B-Bob like this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Nook and justtxyank like this.
  5. Anticope

Anticope Member

I haven't seen anything to indicate this being the case but I think there's a good chance that Joe runs as a one-term candidate. With his age, he'd be 82 when running for a second term and while I don't think age will hurt him all that much this go around with Trump also being up there age-wise, I think it would become an issue if he ran again in '24. I also think there's some appeal to a one-term lame duck presidency as it would give him more flexibility politically while setting up his vice president, whoever that possibly ends up being, to potentially take over the ticket in '24.

Nook, justtxyank and B-Bob like this.
  6. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There was some talk that he would promise to be a 1 year candidate as part of his campaign but he backed off because
    A) he isn't sure he only wants to be a 1 term president
    B) That would essentially make him a lame duck president on day 1

Nook likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ann Althouse is pissed that Biden is using the "fine people on both sides" talking point in his announcement video:

April 25, 2019
    Biden's announcement video is anchored in a demonstrable lie.

I'm blogging this morning in a public place, so although I've put up 2 posts about Biden's announcement video, I had not yet listened to it. I finally got out my headphones out so I could listen, but I could not get through to the end, because I became so angry at the LIE and the continued music and montage became torture to me.

In the part that I did see, we were shown images from the Charlottesville march — replete with the "Jews will not replace us chant" and swastikas — and then Biden's blandly earnest face asserted that Trump said some of them "are fine people." But Trump did not say that! It's absolutely established that Trump excluded those people explicitly before saying that there were some fine people on both sides of the question of keeping Confederate statues. (At the time of the fine people remark, Trump said, "I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and white nationalists because they should be condemned totally.")

How dare Biden rest his campaign on a blatant lie — a lie that has been used to stir up fear and racial discord?! The hypocrisy of offering to bring us together and embrace lofty values when he is either repulsively ignorant or just plain lying!

I could not finish watching that video. I tried, but I couldn't force myself. It's utterly toxic bilge.

If Biden does not come forward and retract this video and apologize and commit himself to making amends, I consider him disqualified. He does not have the character or brain power to be President.

Posted by Ann Althouse at 10:33 AM

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2019/04/bidens-announcement-video-is-anchored.html

9. justtxyank

Yeah how dare a candidate base a campaign on a divisive issue that people think is dishonest. LOL

TRUMP2020

Nook, dmoneybangbang and biff17 like this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

well, in this case it goes a bit beyond some "people think is dishonest," no?

11. justtxyank

Yeah...in this case...

The president has built his entire life on lies.

Nook likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

so you're saying . . . what about Trump? c'mon now, surely it is acceptable to criticize Biden or any other candidate without having to immediately default to the what about Trump Orange Man Bad rebuttal. just sayin'

cml750 likes this.
  13. justtxyank

I think it's silly for a Trump support to blog about being offended that Biden would use a lie in his campaign.

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Ann Althouse is HARDLY a Trump supporter. Honestly, if you don't believe me, go back and see what she wrote at the time of the campaign and the election

15. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Good to see the left is spinning Biden's sloppy campaign launch as humility. LOL

16. cml750

cml750 Member

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

if at first you don't succeed . . .

18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_2000_presidential_campaign

LIL BIMBO ERUPTIONS

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's only some people, the grammarians who think only the logical sequence of words communicate meaning. We saw what Trump was trying to do, soft pedal the offense of that march to avoid insulting sympathizers. The particulars his defenders want to point out, condemning racism and whatnot, were cover your ass efforts. The main idea Trump tried to get over, and succeeded at, was that he officially frowns on overt racists but agrees with the sympathizers who think their white culture is under attack and needs to be defended and/or glorified. So, I don't think it's really all that dishonest.

If we dig enough, we might unearth Paul Manafort.

Nook likes this.
  20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Your kind have set the standard for Presidential behavior with your acquiescence to Trump so it rings pretty hollow to b**** about anybody else.

TheFreak, Rashmon, Nook and 1 other person like this.