1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PJ likes to pass up shots

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. jaychi

jaychi Member

Really frustrated seeing PJ pass up wide open shots especially 3 points shots not on the corners. He passes up shots to teammates more covered than him. I understand if that is his nature or he is just used to setting screens but he could have been a Brook Lopez type out there when he was the center. He also overshoots his shots when he is not confident. The funny thing is when he makes it, he always looks at someone to brag about it. I just think he should not rush his shot and not to be conscious if he missed a few shots before. I just think he loses his confidence when he missed a lot similar to the Bucks game. If Capela is not there and he is the 5 then he should shoot it with confidence like Brook. They were spreading out their offense with a 5 out. Harden can completely drive without a center in the middle. they did it once a while ago in the fourth and they did not follow it up and shot threes.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There was one play last night where he passed up a shot, but afterwards it looks like there was something in his eye that was bothering him. Maybe that was the reason.

hongxingli, Bo6, Voltik and 3 others like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Does he ever attempt shots from other areas than the corners?

I think not often.

harold bingo likes this.
  4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

he Did this last night to Eric Gordon and Gordon got potatoes that ball back to pj with the quickness. Gordon seemed clearly irritated with Tucker about passing up that open look.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Its not his spot, everyone knows it.

Bo6, Deuce, amaru and 1 other person like this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

PJ knows his high percentage shots.; he knows what he's doing out there. the doesn't shoot well from certain parts of the key.

Bo6, HP3 and harold bingo like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The bigger problem is that PJ was the only one to shift to an open 3. Other guys should be thinking if I'm not taking the corner three, I'll switch PJ's guy and take that spot.

AroundTheWorld and roslolian like this.
  8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

All of our role players were shook last night from their home crowd, possibly the top 2 or 3 home crowd in the league. k

I'd say Warriors, Jazz, Celtics have the loudest home crowd advantages. Houston is like bottom 3 amongst the playoff teams because the majority of the loud Houston sports fans are too busy sucking the Texans dicks.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think PJ is fine. He will take the corner 3's without hesitation if open. If there is a close out, he mostly takes them, but it is dicey that they are made because he is rushed.

Now, above the break 3's? He'll look to pass first, but if he is WIDE OPEN he will take them. It just a much more difficult shot for him juxtapose the corner 3's. He knows his limitations, but at the same time knows the demands of the offense and how it operates.

RudyTBag and Invisible Fan like this.
  10. SemisolidSnake

A major problem with the Rockets' three-point strategy is that nearly every shooter is a snowflake. Tucker has to have his threes in the corner or he won't even shoot them. Green is off and on randomly, but he seems to be best when he's shooting with as little thinking time as possible. Gordon usually needs to be wide open and 10-ft behind the line, but he's your best bet from different positions. Rivers doesn't want to shoot and will try to drive at every opportunity.

Paul is getting more versatile as this season goes on; earlier in the season, he had to be wide open to make the shot. Harden is best with a guy in front of him, but that's because he's always the one handling the ball, so catch-and-shoot is extremely rare for him.

But, yeah, trying to get the ball to the right player and also in their favorite place is a real chore for the distributors. I'm not sure why they even line up some of these guys in positions we clearly know they're going to pass on. It's a real mess, especially for a team that lives and dies by the three.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

He also likes to impose his will on opposing players

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Then he shouldn't be spotting up in that position .

Passing up an open shot is one of the worst things you can do . Unless it's a capela 3 ( think like <10% ) lol .

AroundTheWorld and deb4rockets like this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah, but at the same time, Tucker is at his absolute capacity to make 3pt shots. I can't believe he makes this many already.

What's bothering me much more than Tucker is how Paul trying to launch rainbow midrange jumpers over big men instead of going around them. He has 0 confidence in his driving ability.

RichieBanks and deb4rockets like this.
  14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You pretty much nailed that observation.

15. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

He is soo on and off that its not even funny. Atleast he plays defense 99% of the time....soo its all good... kinda.... not...yea....no.....ugh... just shoot the open jumper and do it with some balls would ya, PJ?

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

PJ is carrying on the legacy of his dads Chuck Hayes and Shane Battier. Both of these Rockets legends were reluctant shooters.

17. Lovemachine2000

To be fair, getting around Gobert under the basket is a tall order. CP3 does drive to the hoop when opportunity presents itself, such as semi-transition possessions or favorable switches.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's ok if he avoids Gobert under the basket but he doesn't have to take that shot. A lot of times he's matched up with Favors and he needs to blow past that guy. Same with Rubio or Mitchell. These guys are not tough to drive past. Like you said he's mostly just running top speed on semi-transitions, but that's different than using explosiveness.

He doesn't seem to have confidence and the matchups are going to be tougher in the next round. I don't expect a prime Paul, just the same one we had last playoffs. He is going to be guarded by Curry, and if we don't exploit that matchup we'll struggle.