1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

“Clampcity”- article request

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by phantoman, Apr 20, 2019.

1. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

hi guys. Does anyone have a subscription to the Athletic? There is an article on Eric Gordon.

https://theathletic.com/933315/2019...ba-playoffs-utah-jazz/?source=freeweeklyemail

‘I’ve always been able to play defense’: Inside Eric Gordon’s two-way value

[​IMG]
    By Kelly Iko 2h ago[​IMG] 1
    “You gonna feel me, I promise.”

Eric Gordon was seated at his locker, taking off his socks after a blowout win in Game 1 against the Utah Jazz when he said those words. It took me a minute to figure out to what exactly he was referring.

“Clamp City?” I asked, after putting two and two together.

“Clamp City,” Gordon responded.

Much like the opening scene of a movie, or the intro to a song, the beginning sequences of a playoff game often set the tone for what’s to come.

Within 10 seconds of Game 2 tipping off two days later, Gordon had already forced a turnover on Donovan Mitchell, getting his hand in the way of a pass from Joe Ingles.

On Utah’s next possession, Gordon caused the ball to roll off Mitchell’s leg and into the backcourt. The two raced down the floor in pursuit, but Gordon wanted it more. He picked up the ball and finished a reverse layup. And-1. The Toyota Center...

2. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

I can't praise EG's defense in words.

In the face of EG, Mitchell was like a kid who made a mistake.

D-rock, cbs1507, RichieBanks and 3 others like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

@phantoman

“You gonna feel me, I promise.”

Eric Gordon was seated at his locker, taking off his socks after a blowout win in Game 1 against the Utah Jazz when he said those words. It took me a minute to figure out to what exactly he was referring.

“Clamp City?” I asked, after putting two and two together.

“Clamp City,” Gordon responded.

Much like the opening scene of a movie, or the intro to a song, the beginning sequences of a playoff game often set the tone for what’s to come.

Within 10 seconds of Game 2 tipping off two days later, Gordon had already forced a turnover on Donovan Mitchell, getting his hand in the way of a pass from Joe Ingles.

On Utah’s next possession, Gordon caused the ball to roll off Mitchell’s leg and into the backcourt. The two raced down the floor in pursuit, but Gordon wanted it more. He picked up the ball and finished a reverse layup. And-1. The Toyota Center erupted. “That’s what it’s all about,” Gordon said. ” We have to go out and dictate from the jump.”

Heading into this series, which continues Saturday night in Utah with Houston up 2-0, much was made about who would be tasked with defending Mitchell, a dynamic guard coming off an impressive 24-4-4 in only his second season. P.J. Tucker seemed most likely to get the assignment. Instead, Gordon was given the task, with input from associate coach Jeff Bzdelik and Chris Paul. “Gordon usually takes the toughest matchup,” Paul told The Athletic. “If it’s a guard, [he takes it] every night.”

In Game 1, Gordon and Mitchell matched up on 34 possessions, good for 47.9 percent of the time. When being defended by Gordon, Mitchell managed just two points (1-of-5 shooting from the field), no assists, three turnovers and had one of his shots blocked.

“Well, Eric is one of the better defenders in the league, without a doubt,” head coach Mike D’Antoni said following the win. “Nobody ever talks about it, because he’s pretty understated, but he’s so strong. Nobody can post him up. He puts his chest on people and keeps them out of the lane. He’s just really good at what he does.”

It could have easily been chalked up to an off night for Mitchell. Shots didn’t go his way, and he would bounce back in Game 2.

Gordon wasn’t done just yet. In the second game, Gordon squared off with Mitchell 33 times, good for 45.2 percent of the time. Mitchell mustered six points against Gordon, missing seven of 10 shots, including all three of his 3-point attempts, committing two turnovers and having one shot blocked. This isn’t just a one-off anymore.

Clamp City.

“Eric is a very good defender and he’s probably underrated both sides of the ball,” D’Antoni added. “… Guys of (Mitchell’s) caliber you don’t stop, you just try to make it harder for them.”

With the increased national coverage, the playoffs do a good job of highlighting some aspects of players the casual fan might not be aware of, and Gordon’s defense is exactly that. Often thought of as a strictly offensive player, Gordon conjures up images of deep 3-pointers, a quirky combination of handles and finishing ability. But since the All-Star break he’s third in defensive rating among guards and second among starting guards (100.4). What sometimes gets overlooked is the size, the strength, the lateral quickness and the defensive IQ. But the slight is not news to him.

“I get overlooked in a lot of different aspects,” he told The Athletic. “A lot of people just look at me as a 3-point shooter, but I’ve always been able to play defense throughout my career. I’ve also always been able to knock down shots.”

During last season’s Western Conference finals, Gordon often found himself matched up with Steph Curry and Klay Thompson, and even at times Kevin Durant — as Golden State hunted isolations and mismatches.

Gordon says he seeks those matchups on purpose, based on his confidence and ability. “I’ve always been able to do that,” he added. “I always take the biggest or toughest task as far as the toughest guard out there. I love the task. I want to be the best I can so we can win.”

#3 Reeko, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Jontro, D-rock, slothy420 and 17 others like this.
  4. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Nice piece, hopefully Clamp City travels well.....

D-rock and vlaurelio like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

continued...

Disrupting Donovan
    When it comes to defending a guard of Mitchell’s size, skill and speed, what’s the smartest way to go about it?

“Well, you just have to be aggressive,” Gordon said. “He is a really good scorer. He can score in many different ways. We’re just trying to be a little physical with him and stick with him throughout the whole game.”

The Rockets took some of their experiences from last year’s meeting with Utah and expounded on them. Speaking with those within the organization, I got the general sense that with Jazz guard Ricky Rubio in the fold now, the fear isn’t as big as it was last season. Then, Mitchell was the primary ball handler and was a menace. Everything was initiated through him and he hunted mismatches. Now, with creation duties split between Mitchell, Rubio and Ingles, the load is more manageable for the Rockets.

Make no mistake, Houston still respects the hell out of Mitchell. “Don’t get carried away, Donovan Mitchell is a really good player and you can have a couple of off nights,” D’Antoni said. “We’ll just try to do the best we can.”

Gordon knows Mitchell likes to attack downhill. He’s also an excellent ball handler and often switches hands before he starts his drive. In the video below, Gordon uses his lateral quickness to get through Rudy Gobert’s screen and recognizes when Mitchell’s stutter-step is coming. Gordon smartly strips Mitchell on his drive and deflects the ball out of bounds.

“Yeah, you know. That’s what you have to do, try to break the rhythm up,” Gordon said. “He is the one guy that can really get them going. So you just have to try to break his rhythm up as much as possible.”

In this next clip, Gordon knows the crossover is coming and that there’s likely to be contact again with a screening Gobert. Gordon sticks with Mitchell, using his chest to make it uncomfortable enough for him and doing it long enough to force him away from the rim. Gordon bumps him at the last possible second, and Harden comes in to block the shot.

For the next two games in Utah, Gordon will do his best to continue to get Mitchell out of his rhythm.

Gordon’s two-way prowess is a large factor why D’Antoni reverted to the three-guard lineup, and Paul agrees — whether Gordon started or came off the bench, it was the same intensity.

“When we came in the game, me and him, it was hell for the other team,” Paul said.

Mitchell, at this point, no doubt agrees.

#5 Reeko, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

One of the most underrated players in the league. On a more prestigious team, he'd be getting the JJ Redick or even Klay Thompson treatment.

He's also a big key to our success. He's the secret member of our big 4.

7. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

D-rock, Htown Legend and Reeko like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Nice. Sounds like Gordon is having fun.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. 523744

523744 Member

Fun City

slothy420 likes this.
  11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Great article. So far Gordon has shut Mitchell down - great matchup for us with Favors and Rubio starting. Neither guy csn shoot well enough to punish a sagging help defender.
    Plus Rubio has 0 offence, so he is just a waste out there.

Jazz need to bench Rubio to win a game, go bigger with Royce ONeal and have Mitchell attack CP3 (Mitchell is too big and will get in the lane and finish).

D-rock and Hakeemtheking like this.
  12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's funny that last year all of the talk was about how the Jazz needed Rubio to contend with us. Now they have him and the Rockets are like, "Thank god Rubio is healthy! This is way easier!"

D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Our underrated defensive hero. I have always been amazed at his impact against bigger, taller and
    and younger players. I felt he would get tired like he did at times during the regular season. Defense is very hard work, fortunately it hasn't affected his shooting at all. Eric knows clamp city is another variation of clutch city. He has also found a capable ally in Austin Rivers. These guys won't give up, but I'm concerned that the refs in Utah will blow whistles for phantom fouls. However, we can still win with good focus and determination.

Go Eric! Go Houston Rockets!

D-rock, snowconeman22 and Reeko like this.
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Gordon is better at defense than he is at ball handling as a guard.

D-rock and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Whenever ClampCity fails, it's because we become ComplaCity

amirite @DaDakota

D-rock likes this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, because his primary role is as a shooter and defender. He has lost some explosion which I miss very much. He was great at that last season. Austin should attack the basket frequently.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He's probably a B or a B- when it comes to handles for a guard .

He's probably a B + to A range on defense .

saleem likes this.
  18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

While I agree they should bench Rubio, why would CP3 be guarding Mitchell in any scenario. Paul would just guard Royce O’Neal. Can be even post up?

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

And this is prime reason why House is not a starter.

EGo is too good and to important to the Rockets, on offense and defense.

Hakeemtheking and saleem like this.
  20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

No - but he can also drive.
    Plus switch on everything means it isn't impossible to get the matchup you want...