1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tell me how the Jazz are going to defend us

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Apr 15, 2019.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Via the Ringer...
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/...even-thoughts-sixers-warriors-raptors-celtics

2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

They can’t.

3. xaos

xaos Member

Ask Pat Bev

I had to go for the low-hanging fruit on this one

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

They will trade for Thong Maker and shut the mediocre Capela down.

lnchan and D-rock like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Ricky says no changes for Game 2.

I’m convinced the reason he says this is because the Bucks’ look is the same defense as when Utah played ICE against the PnR last playoffs, dropping Gobert (the “Blue” defender in ICE) and steering Paul and Harden one way, eliminating our ability to use Capela’s pick. We recall Paul would snake dribble that and shoot the midrange. And Harden didn’t like the Utah ICE Gobert drop.

The answer to that (well, one answer) is to forego the pick and place Capela on the short corner behind Gobert’s drop position, and let Harden ISO. And the Bucks/Jazz answer to that this year is to still do ICE, even for ISO’s — not just PnRs.

Same defense. Thus, Rubio says they aren’t going to stop doing it. Basically, they aren’t going to stop doing ICE with Gobert dropping.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we should be running a pick for house instead to shoot into the paint backdoor at the same time and provide even another lob option for harden

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We destroyed their defense. There’s plenty of things we did last night to both merely drive into the dropped Gobert, as they want, and also to eliminate their primary ICE defender doing the extreme shade — via PJ/House picking, or giving the ball to Paul, or getting Harden on the move without the ball ... e.g. Thru Series plays.

I’m just trying to explain why Rubio says they won’t change.

pippendagimp and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. SemisolidSnake

"they"

Sure, Ricky. It was definitely you guys that kept him off the line.

9. SemisolidSnake

"Houston is a team that, at any point, will have at least three ball handlers on the floor..."

This is a weird statement, but it gives me a chance to talk about something I did like last night: Austin Rivers.

First of all, let's look at this statement, though. Houston's not actually heavy on ball handlers. It's heavy on ball-handler salary, for sure. And you have two legendary ball handlers on the team for that.

However, who else do you have? Gordon had a good game last night including work around the basket. I am still hesitant to give him too much time handling the ball, because I've seen what happens when he's bad at it. Only two games ago, in fact. Gordon's a solid 0.5 in everything: either on or off. House can get around, but if I can just having him shooting threes and busting straight lines to impressive jams, I'm quite content with that. He's still young and learning. Nobody else is a ball handler.

Except Austin Rivers. First of all, let's get some props out there: Rivers was a +23 in 19 minutes last night, second highest +/- on the team. He's quiet, but he's important to this team. Specifically, what I noticed is what happens when you put Rivers and Harden on the floor together. If you shade Harden on his right, he has the option to pass it to any number of other players including Rivers. And he did that once. And Rivers blasted past everyone to the rim for a layup. So, you think you've taken Harden's explosive driving ability away by forcing him to his weak side. Nah, you have Austin Rivers to be Harden's explosive right side to the basket.

So, yeah, we have a third ball-handler on the court sometimes, and he's an extra crack in the shading defense's armor. Good luck with that, opponents.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If "force Harden right" is your ace in the hole then I do believe you have already lost.