1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Congrats Tiger Woods - 5th Masters - Welcome Back

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Dude been through some hard times.
    Congrats to him

Rocket River

Houstunna, jcf, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Pretty amazing story.

Nook likes this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Just Do It

Nook and Jontro like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I thought his back was broke?

5. Nook

Nook Member

A couple of contemporaries of Woods claim that he was quite nasty and not likeable in the past, but his struggles have made him a kind and gentle man.

He has worked very hard to comeback just from a physical stand point. Very, very few people would have comeback from the injuries he has had to his knee and back.... that doesn’t even include the sex addiction, losing his very controlling father, nasty divorce, public shame and drug addiction and mid life crisis.

I think he will win at least one more major.

jcf, B-Bob and bobloblaw like this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I believe all of it
    Which is why I am legit happy for him
    He was knocked down very very low
    And was able to rise up again

I was never his biggest fan
    But I cannot help but admire him rising again

Rocket River

seclusion, gatsby, Nook and 3 others like this.
  7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Good for golf. Good for tiger.

seclusion and Severe Rockets Fan like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he had an awesome tournament

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

When Tiger is good, golf makes insane money so everyone is happy for Tiger.

10. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Why is that? I never understood why. Even when he was playing like crap everyone still watched / favored him.

11. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

12. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Because those of us who watched him in his prime consider him a legend. Same reason why people still tuned in to watch Jordan with the wizards. As long as they're playing you have a chance to see something special.

seclusion and Nook like this.
  13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He's baaaaaack !!!

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wish him well

Rocket River

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

dang it's like seeing michael jordan win another championship

Houstunna and seclusion like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Extremely charismatic and the first 8 years of his career were the best span any golfer, or pro athlete has ever had. His level of dominance hasn’t ever been seen.

His first eight years were so good that he was able to be mediocre for the next 13 years... and is still at worse, the second best golfer ever. He still has a chance to be the best ever.

So people watched, waiting for him to re-emerge, in hopes of a little of those first 8 years came out. Also he is the most iconic and important figure in golf history. The closest to him as far as being an icon is Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer, and they are not close from a famous stand point.

Houstunna likes this.
  17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Last summer I bet a friend of mine $100 who said that Tiger was washed up that he would win a major within the next two years. It only took him one try. :)

I chided him that he could give me the $100 or send $50 to Warren’s presidential campaign. He chose the $100.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  18. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

I thought Jack Nicklaus was the GOAT?

Also what makes Tiger so good? Can he drive the farthest? Putt the best? What makes him so special?

19. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Jack may still be the GOAT based on major wins, if he can hang on.

Tiger at his peak was the most dominant athlete, in any sport, in history.

15 years ago Tiger was better than any golfer in ever facet of the game. But what will always set him apart is his determination and focus. He wants it more than anyone else, and has the ability to gain a psychological advantage on his competition that can’t be measured. When he is contention, other players wilt. We saw it for years, and we saw it again today.

Richie_Rich and Nook like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Jack and Tiger are considered the greatest. Jack has more Majors. Until Tiger fell apart, it looked like Tiger would win 30 Majors by the time he was done. The first 8 years of Tiger’s career is the most dominant stretch any athlete has had when considering the odds of winning in a sport.

At 20 Tiger Woods had the most dominant Performance ever in a major..... he won the Masters by a record 12 shots. He was the #1 ranked player in the world for 550 out of 586 weeks from 1999-2010. He was PGA POY 11 times between 1997 and 20013. He has 15 Major (3 behind Jack) and has more tour wins than Jack.

What makes Tiger so good? Well before his back surgeries and knee surgery, he was a combo of well rounded and capable of hitting the ball a long way. He had exceptional distance, explosive middle game and good putting.... that Tiger is gone. Now Tiger relies a lot of consistency and finesse. He can still hit the golf ball well but not like before. His putting is better than before.

Tiger still has a chance to catch Jack for total majors and Sam Sneed for all time tournament wins. Tiger is over 40, but he only needs 3 Majors and a handful of tour wins. Jack Nicklaus won a Major at 46. Ben Hogan won 3 Majors in one year past 40.

Odds are against Tiger to win 3 more Majors, but he has taken care of his body better than Hogan or Palmer or Player or Nicklaus did. Further there is no single dominant player either. So If Tiger plays until 50, he can get 3 possibly. He does that and he will be the unquestioned best ever. Even if he doesn’t win another, a lot of people consider Woods the best ever.

Rocket River and Juxtaposed Jolt like this.