1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zion Williamson

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Deuce, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I’ll get flamed for this, but I could see Zion being a bust in the NBA

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

another game, another zion dominance. carried them

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah he is too athletic to be a bust in the NBA.

What I can see happening though is him blowing his knee out during a dunk against some scrub in the NBA and never be the same again ala Amare Stoudamire.

4. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Exactly, his conditioning is worrisome. Also not a great outside shooter

Ketchup&Mustard and roslolian like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

I feel like outside shooting is more due to effort rather then ability we've seen so many guys work on their shot and become sharp shooters, guys like Lebron and Lowry started out not being shooters but developed a lethal jumpshot in the offseason.

His bulk is more worrisome imho in NCAA he can get away with these high flying dunks but in the NBA grown ass men are gonna try to put him down on his butt and you have guys like Pachulia who dont care if they injure others or not. He should start slimming down if he wants to have a long career.

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Only if he gets hurt.

If he loses the athleticism eventually, then maybe he'll only play 15 years or so in the league, kind of like Zach Randolph.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no way he ends up like Markelle Fultz

This guy could be the next Charles Barkley

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

With his explosive athletic ability and effort level there's no way he's not a really good NBA player if healthy. Barring injury I think he's a very sure thing in a way.

But I have yet to see anything that makes me think he's a perennial MVP player you build your team around like he's being hyped up to be. He's undersized for a front court player, and doesn't have guard skills. If he develops a reliable jumper that teams have to respect, then a lot of things could fall in place, but right now he is extremely raw. I'm not sure how good he will be a creating shots for himself or others at the next level. In the right situation he could be Shawn Kemp playing this way, but his skills need to develop a lot to be an elite superstar.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I think Larry Johnson, a guy who just enhaled the basketball ball. guys like that make it big.

xaos likes this.
  10. biff17

biff17 Member

He is great passer and I think he has above average handles to a big man.

Don't see him as elite superstar but a Blake Griffin type.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But Larry Johnson could shoot.

Zion won't get by on athleticism alone... At 6'7, he's basically going to be a slightly bulkier version of Charles Barkley. Barkley also possessed amazing athleticism initially... but eventually developed a very effective post game, passing ability, and his rebound instincts went beyond something that can be taught. He also started taking more ill-advised outside shots when he got older, but even then... he's a better shooter than Zion is now.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Zion Williamson is the most like Larry Johnson (before Johnson had injuries).

Larry was a little better shooter at the same point, but Zion can shoot as well.

Larry Johnson likely would have been a 25/10 type of player had he not gotten hurt.

The difference between whether Zion is an all star or an all time great will depend on his health and his shot.

14. Buck Turgidson

Do we really know how good Larry Johnson was at the same point, since he was playing at Bumf*** West Texas Junior College?

15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Larry johnson was an average shooter from mid range until he hurt his back. He basically became a jump shooter only after that.

He was a completely different player after that injury.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

He strikes me as a bit of a tweener. Not big enough for the frontcourt, not great enough ball handler for the backcourt.

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Duke's Zion AP Player of Year in landslide

18. Buck Turgidson

Why wouldn't he be?

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I didn’t mean to go so bold buckaroo