1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Going forward, how to counter this defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigMaloe, Mar 26, 2019.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Going forward, I imagine we are going to see a lot of this hard shade to the left, with the illegal free safety defensive 3-6 second big in the restricted area style defense.

So how can we go about countering this going forward outside of the refs calling it better?

Things we did well,
    • The floater was surely working well and still remains a solid counter going forward.
    • Shooting open 3s. Making our shots going forward would very much help counter.
    Things we could add,
    • Off ball screens for harden to catch so he can get off a decent look from 3 or attack a rotating defender.
    • Set a screen to go right but crab dribble back to the 3pt line and quickly initiate the stepback attack while defender is out of position.
    • Small ball 5 out. Cant camp in the paint when everyone is on the outer line.
    What's some of your suggestions?

I know I will hear a lot of "mid-range" but we did a fair amount of that tonight and we seen how horrid that looked.

What are some plays, actions, sets or ideas you think we can incorporate going forward to attack this very solid defensive strategy?

@heypartner I imagine you could have some good insight on this. Maybe the guard post up of harden and cp3 working inside out, that we have seen before, could be effective?

#1 BigMaloe, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  2. valorita

valorita Member

Play harder, clap clap

3. Mr. Space City

Make wide open corner 3’s would be a start.

4. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Make open 3s? It cant be that hard right? Imagine if we had Klay Thompson with those open 3s, this game would be over already.

chadyang, Lawlruschang, RyanB and 2 others like this.
  5. pippsux

pippsux Member

I don't know, ask our coach.

6. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Klay get score more Than Kareem if he got thesen shots

Lawlruschang and RyanB like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

See this is a better thread, we didnt need zboy's thread at all.

Mr Chuck Norris likes this.
  8. basketballholic

Ahem

Well let's see. Sit Capela's butt down. Bring in Bruno, or Qi, or Harty to play 4/5 with PJ and run pick- and- pop and light up some open 3's......

Doh.........!!!!

9. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Hit shots lol

RyanB and MarioKissoDeath like this.
  10. TheSource

TheSource Member

Keep shooting the floater and tucker not airballing might help

D-rock and RyanB like this.
  11. BigMaloe

At no point do I think capela was a problem. He played well.

But that's something I forgot to add to the OP, which is the 5 out. Thanks for the reminder and the suggestion. Editing OP now.

12. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

guys we shot the ball poorly thats how you beat that defense make shots and play with more energy and is it me or was Gordon trash tonight

RyanB, juanm34 and bj3175 like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

most important thing by far is hitting those wide open threes...the Bucks are conceding the 3 point shot in order to pack the paint

the Bucks allow the most 3 point attempts in the NBA at 35.2 a game

the Rockets were making their threes in the 1st half and were on pace to drop 60+ points on this defense in the 1st half if they didn’t have at least 4 absolutely inexcusable, dumbass turnovers

the 2nd half was a NSFW brickfest

I need to see what changed for Harden this game, because the Bucks did this same hard shading of his left hand when we played them earlier, but he still dropped 42 and got off 16 3 point attempts...in this game, he was struggling and only managed to get off 9 with all of them except for the one he had to open the 2nd half being bad attempts

D-rock, RyanB and MarioKissoDeath like this.
  14. basketballholic

They.are.better.than.us.

#alsorans

bj3175 likes this.
  15. bj3175

bj3175 Member

He was not Trash tonight he was the Trash DUMP TONIGHT

Blackjack84 likes this.
  16. bj3175

bj3175 Member

No Way they just played better because they wanted respect and Rox don't respect them that's why we lost

17. basketballholic

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

/thread.

RyanB and mike2k132 like this.
  19. Newlin

Newlin Member

So, we need to maybe acquire players that are good at shooting threes. Interesting. Very interesting.

20. BigMaloe

Specifically harden, I think it was not calling contact on drives. The refs were not calling fouls tonight on either side.

To make matters worse, they never issued a 3 second.

This forced harden to drive into a tower under the rim with a trailing defender everytime.

The refs allowed the bucks to completely erase Hardens 2 biggest areas of attack. The 3 and the rim. If there gameplan was to allow harden to drive, harden would have thrived if the refs called it correctly.

He adjusted and shot a lot of lobs and passed to open shooters. He did what he needed but the team wasn't good enough.