1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free to Harden Adidas AD

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Thats cool and all, but I wished they didnt play off his negatively viewed attributes/skills.

topfive, heypartner and harold bingo like this.
  3. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

This is really weak in my opinion. It really shows how far behind Adidas is compared to Nike in advertising and capturing an audience. There is so much Harden brings, there is so much he has done that no one else has done, his impact on the game is incredible, and not enough people are paying attention. There are guys in the league starting to figure out how to mimic his step-back (Kemba having the best handles to do it, Luka pulling it off, Curry and Lebron failing at it etc). When you have an international brand with billions in revenue and the resources, you can do a lot more to grow your brand.

smp, Stormy1234 and harold bingo like this.
  4. macan

macan Member

Michelle is a keeper

mikol13, topfive and Rock Block like this.
  5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Honestly this sounds like a concession by ADIDAS that Giannis won the MVP.

I agree though Adidas has done a horrible job at marketing Harden. I've seen more commercials from State Farm with Harden in it than Adidas commercials.

lilbird20, smp, Stormy1234 and 5 others like this.
  6. MystikArkitect

Disagree.

Adidas has re-establishes themselves as a counter culture brand to Nike. This reinforces this idea. Nike is either a default brand people buy at outlet stores or a brand for sneaker heads looking to cop a Jordan releasing that “has a new hat”.

I don’t think they’re doing enough with it. I loved their surreal commercials from a few years back. They were totally different from Nike with the whole “creator” vibe.

K mf G, roslolian, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

umm adidas caught up to nike and in some ways surpassed nike a long time ago. especially when it comes to everyday fashion

topfive likes this.
  8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Ummmm Purely speaking on Adidas basketball here. They are behind in the number of shoes they offer, and in marketing of their brand and NBA players. I know you're a big Kardashian fan and think Kanye runs the world, but the fact is Adidas footwear revenue is 50% of Nike. So I'm not sure what you mean by surpassed? Maybe in your mind after you binge a season of KUWTK, If you had any idea of college basketball economics you would know Adidas is not even close to as powerful as Nike with influence.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

adidas had their run as nba's official sponser. Nike just got it. i wonder why adidas main focus is on things outside of basketball.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Michelle’s taste in things is not equal to Shelby’s. That’s a bad ad.

I guess it’s fun for her that she saw this in the Milw morning paper when she had her bfast, but TNT is going to make a joke of that, as I’m sure the whole TNT team saw the same paper, and that’s what Adidas wants...impressions.

House’s step-back is better than Luka’s. :eek:

There, I said it. Haha. Well, House should be in the conversation. He’s actually the poster child for how popular the move is that when we see role players coming into the league doing it, it is the future, and NOT A TRAVEL!!

#10 heypartner, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    BallSoHarden likes this.
  11. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I actually really like this a lot!

Stormy1234 and roslolian like this.
  12. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I was going to mention House lol, but yes hes been able to pull it off smoothly as well, unlike Curry and Lebron.

13. HP3

HP3 Member

Sipping the kool aid. HP :eek::D

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i would have advised a different approach.

Dear Media Whores,

Ya'll a bunch of fukin assholes.
    You know why?
    Because you don't have the guts to come out and say what you really wanna say.
    You need to hate on people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your fukin fingers and say THAT'S THE BAD MOFO!
    So, what's that make you? Good?
    You aint good, you just know how to spin, how to lie.
    Me, I don't have that problem.
    Me, I always come correct. Especially on my spin moves.
    So say goodnight to the bad mofo.
    C'mon, tha last time you gonna see a bad mofo like this again lemme tell ya.
    C'mon, make way for the bad mofo.
    There's a bad mofo comin through!
    Betta get outta his way!!

adw, topfive and K mf G like this.
  15. Zergling

Zergling Member

Adidas doesn't produce this ad if Giannis was also with them (he's with Nike).

The MVP reward has big ramifications and Nike vs Adidas is another angle of it.

16. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Good idea, bad execution. Free to be Harden is cool, but could have been written better.

Talk about

"you can fold when most of your team is injured. Or you could average 40 and rack up wins until everyone is back."

"You can become complacent after having your best season yet and winning your first MVP. Or you could become better and then win your second MVP."

"You could give up after a heartbreaking game 7 lost at home. Or you could work all summer to redeem yourself."

"You could choose to be just another star player. But Harden won't. Harden will choose to be Harden."

Something like that, ya know?

topfive likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

That's not free at all 1% of the population can't do all those things. If Harden said you are free to drop 30 on every team in the NBA how the hell are people supposed to do that?

Apparently most posters here hate it but I like the ad it addresses all the criticisms Harden has received and provides his rebuttals in a simple yet rational way. You are free to like it. Or not. That is the essence of being free to Harden.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

They should dump the Free to Harden idea and so with something simple and effective:

"James Harden doesn't care who you think is MVP. He's too busy raising the f$#king bar."

#18 topfive, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    mikol13 likes this.
  19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah I was unfairly tough on her early in the season. I’ve grown to really like her. She’s settled in nicely.

macan likes this.
  20. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

you missed on "I never travel, even when I travel i never travel"
    or something like that