1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iman Shumpert is just horrible in almost every way.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LorneMalvo, Mar 19, 2019.

1. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

As a Rocket:

Per 36: 8/5/3/1 on 30/28/00 along with 4.5 fouls per 36.

(He has shot ZERO free throws in 11 games)

PER: 5.4

40.6 TS%(!!!!!!!!!!)

Rockets performance when on-court: -12.4

Rockets performance when off-court: +4.1

Net difference: -16.5(!!!!!!!!!!!!)

RPM: -2.43(-1.28 offense, -1.15 defense)

Well balanced no-way player.

RPM was updated this morning.

His best game recently:

7/6/3/2 on 50 TS%. 5 fouls. -10 on court.

And now that I think of it, his most aggressive defensive moments that I've liked, he has fouled on.

He's clearly lost foot speed so he makes up for it with over-aggression and reaching defensively.

Gerald Green actually is better than him. Green's low IQ defense mistakes are glaring but my eye test failed.

Shumpert is a DISASTER.

POSITIVES: Shumpert is a solid to good rebounder, and his passing is not...bad. saw him make some high quality passes to the interior last game.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Let's hope he turns it around, but there's reason to think he won't. He's been a player that has fluctuated between useful and awful. The Cavaliers benched him because he was completely unplayable. He's not a "shooter" but he is a guy who can get into his mechanics and start making shots. The problem with guys like that is when they are off they are OFF.

I think it's at least possible that he won't be in the playoff rotation.

3. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

I don't know...11 games is a small sample size. Especially with a new team and new teammates. Basketball is a game of synchronicity on both offense and defense and Iman isn't getting a lot of minutes to tune up with his teammates. Give it some time and I'm sure he will be a good contributor to the team in the playoffs.

4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Agree with this, he's been awful. In my eyes there are three pretty huge changes he's going to have to make, and he has to make all three of them to even be worth playing.

1. Stop stepping in and taking long 2s. Kind of troubling he is still doing this, considering we all know the coaching staff has told him not to, multiple times by now.
    2. Switch on defense! This guy looks like a great defender 1on1 and off ball, but it's way too common for him not to switch, which results in an uncovered man running towards the basket. This is similar to #1, and it's got to stop.
    3. Find your shot. This is the most important one, if you have a 40% TS you don't deserve any playing time. He's shooting 28% from 3. He's gotta fix this.

It is possible he fixes all these issues, and if he does, great. I hope he does. But unless he fixes ALL 3 of these issues, he is unplayable, and he shouldn't get any minutes at all.

5. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

He just dropped Rockets career high 7 pts last game. Shumbert fans were screaming.

6. htownballa1622

I understood it when we needed wing depth but he shouldn't sniff any meaningful minutes going forward. Even in Cleveland, when they were winning, I never understood why he was on the court.

Now that House is back, he shouldn't ever touch the floor. Rivers is better. I'd rather see Gary Clark on the floor tbh.

maw7079_2000 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I thought he was doing well with the Kings, so I didn't think he would be this bad.

At this point though I have abandoned hope. He is nothing more than luxury tax savings personified.

maw7079_2000, RyanB, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  8. payaso

payaso Member

Ray Allen.

D-rock likes this.
  9. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

With Shumpert it’s pretty simple at this point. I’m still holding on to a shred of hope that he turn back into Kings Shump. If he doesn’t it hurts our wing depth but if he can’t do the job bench him.

He may have a few games left to turn this around before D’Antoni pulls the plug more than likely. I’m still rooting for him, but he has been a heck of a disappointment so far.

10. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

He needs to stop shooting long 2s, it pisses me off so much.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Is this surprising to anybody?

Trade was ridiculous. Wasted a huge expiring contract and a first round pick.

12. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Shump is who he is by this point in his career. I feel at times he strains too hard to be an on-ball defender and ends up overplaying his guy which allows his man to blow right past him. On offense, he doesnt trust his shot enough and has the habit of pump fake-driving. This hurts us offensively because it allows the D to play off of him and when he gets the ball his pump faking allows his man to recover and means he ends up giving up open looks. I suspect he wont see much floor time in the playoffs when it matters.

RocketOrg likes this.
  13. Fantasma Negro

He's injured and he's got woman problems. I say let him try to gain traction for the rest of the regular season, if he's still **** in the first round glue him to the bench and wait for that 11 mil to fall off the wage bill

417Rocket and D-rock like this.
  14. BreakYoSelfFool

Has anyone tried sending Positive Vibes to him?

15. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Good overall take minus the ALL CAPS. Anyone else notice his shaky knees on defense? Every time I follow his play, I start to wonder if his 2012 knee injury has lingering effects. Just this season, he was out with knee soreness during the all-star break. For his career, I hope he's able to strengthen that if at all possible.

Basketball play-wise, he looks to be finding his groove / role here. Like you said, I saw him being a drive-kick facilitator since he has that ability. He's looking to be another one of those "damaged goods" pickups but I do like the fact that he's being aggressive every time he pulls up on the 3 (or 2) and the fact that he's attacking. I think we're just disappointed with his defensive play as he's looking like J. Ennis on that side of the ball.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

11m off the books next year, maybe we can sign others with that money.

DD

Rocket River, JamesC and hakeem94 like this.
  17. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Can’t play Chumpert......................

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Rockets didn't trade for Shumpert because he's a good player. It was all about saving money. Anything they get from him at this point is gravy. Anyway, with House back and seemingly picking up where he left off, I doubt Shumpert gets many minutes come playoff time barring injury or Green playing really bad.

AB423 likes this.
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm pretty sure they were just trying to level out the whining.

I would rather see Gary, but MDA is fighting hard to never see him on court again.

Roxs-Redemption and hakeem94 like this.
  20. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Not exactly how far above the cap we are, but I know it's not as simple as his 11 expiring = 11 to be offered to another player. I actually don't think we will have anything other than MLE and vet mins to offer in free agency, but I could be wrong. This is why the trade was so frustrating. Knight's salary could have at least been packaged in a bigger deal.