1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Was curious if anybody caught Bregman's comments today about his current contract. Does not sound like a guy who will be here after his current contract.
    Sorry i dont have the link. Im supposed to be working. It was on mlb.com.

2. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry looks like others already posted about this.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Didn't sound like that to me at all.

awc713 likes this.
  4. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

This seems to be coming down from the union, Blake Snell had very similar comments.

5. Buck Turgidson

Snell got an extra $5500 from the Rays.

Jack Flaherty of the Cards got a $7100 raise after 151 IP of 3.34 ERA ball as a rookie and had a pretty equitable take on things:

“It’s nothing on the Cardinals. They play within what the system is,” Flaherty said. “Their process is great and it makes sense, but in the grand scheme of things the system itself that everybody plays under just isn’t — it’s not a great system for everybody....I never ever want anything to come in the way of getting a chance to play the game that we all love,” Flaherty said. “We’re grown men playing a kids’ game. We all remember that. We all reflect on that. I make sure that I know that. Obviously, there is a business side to it. I like to be informed and about how teams go about it. This has nothing to do with the Cardinals. I understand the way it works. Everybody plays under the same rules, it’s just that the entirety of the system is not great.”

6. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Maybe I’ve just never noticed it but I don’t remember players talking about pre arbitration raises so much in the past though?

7. Buck Turgidson

They didn't. It's a product of the current labor unrest and upcoming CBA negotiation.

Htown Stros likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah and it's stupid.

This is literally no different from the way it's been for decades. The union could have done something, anything to give young MLB players power, but they never have. Young players in baseball have a comical lack of control...but it's not new.

9. Major

Major Member

The difference, from a young players' perspective, is that they used to be able to look forward to a big payday when free agency hit. Now there is a lot more uncertainty there, so they are going to be more vocal about their situation.

juicystream and LonghornFan like this.
  10. awc713

awc713 Member

Wonder what’s on the table for DK with the season only a few weeks away. He has one and two year offers from HOU. My guess...1y 10.5m or 2y 28m. Outside of HOU, I’d guess his best offer is 2y 30m with a team option 3rd year bumping it to 45. I had a feeling DK wouldn’t get a long contract or anywhere near his 100m asking price...but this is crazy. Anyone want to take a stab at what they thinks been offered?

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

1 year around 18 mil
    2 years around 32 mil

12. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I think he'll do a 1-year deal with us for ~$17-$19/M.

IowaAstro likes this.
  13. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Throw him a 1 year a half a mil above the qualifying offer. Show of good faith from the team. Would like to have another proven arm in the rotation since CFM and LMJ are gone. McHugh is serviceable. Miley is a freaking huge question mark. slot 5 is a serious question mark. I don't think Valdez has shown much.

CisBuds4U likes this.
  14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Sipp to the Nationals

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

$1.25M. I would’ve loved him back in Houston for that price. His numbers last season were excellent.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  16. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Agree that he would have been nice to have back at that price but I’m looking forward to seeing if they can develop their long-term bullpen lefty from among Cionel, Framber or Guduan.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Guduan has looked great and now would be a great time for him to bust out. 100 mph lefty fastballs make for a high ceiling.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think the problem is the Astros plan on moving pitchers up and down from the majors to AAA. They can give guys like Guduan, Cionel, Framber, Sneed, Deetz, etc opportunities through out the season. Sipp takes up a spot on the 25 man roster the whole year. With the Astros only carrying a 7 man bullpen and most of the spots locked up with Osuna, Pressly, Harris, Rondon, Devenski, and probably James they really only have 1 spot to try different guys barring injury.

kaleidosky, Madmanmetz and No Worries like this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

RIP August Trades

20. awc713

awc713 Member