1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Tashaun Gipson to 3-year, $22M deal

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 12, 2019.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

WalterFootball Free Agent Rankings:
    26. Tyrann Mathieu, S, Texans. Age: 27.

Tyrann Mathieu was once an other-worldly player for the Cardinals. He hasn't been quite the same since suffering a torn ACL a few years ago. However, he played very well in 2018 and should be able to improve as he continues to be removed from his knee injury.

38. Kareem Jackson, CB, Texans. Age: 31.

Kareem Jackson emerged as one of the top cornerbacks in the NFL this past season. He's a late bloomer for certain. Unfortunately for Jackson, he's turning 31 in April, so he doesn't have much time left to play on a high level.

57. Tashaun Gipson, S, Jaguars. Age: 29.

Tashaun Gipson has played very well for the Jaguars for the past three seasons, but counted $9.1 million against the cap. That money was needed to sign Nick Foles. Gipson should bounce back with his next team. He turns 29 this summer, so he'll be able to play at a high level for two or three more years.

Depends on if they sign a CB, but I would rather spend my money on CB over safeties. Also signing 31 year old free agents for 3 years like Kareem is typically not a wise decisions. We will see who else they sign and how it plays out, but not a bad signing if the money is right.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

HAHAHAHAHA

Nook likes this.
  4. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

lol :)

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

New Texans S Tashaun Gipson is getting a 3-year deal worth a little more than $22 million, source said.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Did you just expose your Twitter handle?

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean... I'm not expert, but if we're ranking positions to spend the most money on, wouldn't safety be relatively down the ranking.

Like on the defense, wouldn't you prefer to have better d-line, linebackers and cornerbacks, and then spend "massively" on safety?

I get it doesn't work exactly like that, in that you really need quality at ALL positions, as it all works together...

BUT... subject to what this cost, seems like a SOLID pickup given you wouldn't really want to go crazy at this position.

That said, if it's like $11 million a year... then I'd be like ok, there goes my argument, lol...

That they don't have to give up any picks, and may get compensatory picks from losing Kareem is even better. Of course, Gaines needs to draft well if that's the biggest part of his talent acquisition strategy. Seems like he did just that last year with limited draft assets.

TheFreak and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Actually hasn't Jackson still played a good amount of corner since 2016. Maybe half the time at corner, the other half at safety?

10. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

so now hes better than honeybadger ok...

red5rocket likes this.
  12. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

3/22? I like this signing alot more now.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I wanted HB but I'm ok with them deciding to sign Gibson instead. HB and Jackson might be marginally better, but I'd rather spend the money on upgrading other positions, especially cornerback and OL via FA or trade. Also, go ahead and give Clowney his money or trade him if you can get a first + for him.

Rudyc281 and jakedasnake like this.
  14. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Seems to be a solid value contract but not sure what else they have in store. We do have a lot of holes to fill.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

No. I'm not PatDStat lol

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Paul Gallant is an absolute ****ing moron, so this actually makes me feel a little better.

17. mightybosstone

Wasn't in love with this when I first saw it, but looking at the guy's numbers and the contract, this makes sense to me. Mathieu wasn't worth $14 million a year, and he's been replaced with a quality starter for essentially half the money.

But they need to actually do something with that savings. If they just keep adding value guys and don't add any real impact players at areas of need, we're looking at another 9-7 caliber season.

vupac1 likes this.
  18. conquistador#11

would have loved this move more if his name was De'Shaun Gipson. Oh well.

If he has the same type of season he did in 2017, we get a hell of a bargain. He'll have more opportunities here to get a sack or two.

19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Amos 4yr/$37M

20. showa13

showa13 Member

We’re paying Gibson half of what honey badger is making and 5 mil less than KJax. We still have money for a quality CB. But y’all are still legit panicking

cbass likes this.