1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Former NBA Ref] Steve Javie Opinion About Harden/Scott Foster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rantsolpuella13, Feb 27, 2019.

1. rantsolpuella13

Supporting Member

I recommend listening to the entire podcast (Javie discusses his background as well as players he thought took his calls the most personally), but here are the Harden/Foster highlights:
    • Javie believes that Foster’s call “wasn’t personal” and that “he is probably the best referee, if not one of the best” in the NBA.
    • Calls Harden request for Foster to not officiate anymore of the Rockets games “childish”
    • Javie discusses later in the interview how he would officiate Harden and other players if he was officiating today.
    • Calls Harden a player that tries to “fool” the refs.
    • He called Harden’s comments about Foster a “personal attack” against Foster.
    He also agrees with one of the hosts of the show that the NBA should allow for officials to have press conferences after games instead of the “pool reporter” being used to ask 2-3 questions about a contentious call.

#1 rantsolpuella13, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    malakas, cbs1507, ak99999 and 2 others like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I have to say, I am quite surprised that Javie would stick up for the refs.

Not really.

I have no interest in listening to his drivel.

3. onreego

onreego Member

This is like asking HR to back you up in a complaint against the company.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nobody should expect a referee to not stick up for a fellow referee. they are their own group. Not much of a must listen as there's no inclination for any kind of objectivity

The same goes for players who back each other in their own decisions as well as others.

Edit: This reminded me, Harden hasn't gotten fined yet for his comments right? Those usually come about pretty quickly. Interesting

#4 YOLO, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Lawlruschang and malakas like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

One of my LOL favorites is when people ask JVG how the coaching is going for a team.

EVERY coach is doing a great job and the coach is NEVER to blame!

Got it JVG!

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

javie was another designated fixer for the league office. a formerly paid w**** coming to the rescue of a currently paid w****

Jake Tower, D-rock, vince and 18 others like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

former ref caping for a current ref, no surprises here...he would never take Harden’s side on this issue

D-rock and vince like this.
  8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

All I have to say is “**** you”

9. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

he didnt addressed the bs or ticky tack offensive fouls called on harden....

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i wonder if harden can get fined for defending himself against javie's drivel now

Easy likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

demanding publicly that scott foster not referees anymore of rockets games is what i call putting your big boy pants on

BRAVO JAMES!

12. SemisolidSnake

Reactions to bullet points (directed at Javie, not our OP):
    1. Pablum. I'd say stupid, but if you're going to say something about a current ref, and you're not trying to stir things up, <insert ref> is always going to be "one of the best in the NBA." You're not going to say they're "just average" or really question how they keep their job.
    2. It wasn't a request, just a statement. It's not like he expected anyone to actually listen to him on that, nor was it any sort of threat. Splitting hairs, but the media doesn't, so I will.
    3. Ehh, didn't listen. Probably won't.
    4. Forget specifically about what Harden does or doesn't do. Reffing has been so bad for so long that "fooling the refs" is not only a very successful method to get ahead, it's become the default mode of play. Taking the charge and often embellishing it has all but replaced trying to actually block and defend, because refs are absolutely awful (or biased) when it comes to distinguishing foul calls. Lots of players have built successful careers by being flop artists. So, you refs created this. Shut up.
    5. Uh, duh, of course it was. He specifically referred to the guy and said bad things about him. In other news, water is wet. By these standards, this interview is a long "personal attack" on James Harden by Steve Javie. See what I did there.

---

I do actually like the idea of a press conference for officials after the game, but I'd change one thing: I'd make it mandatory. With video of plays available.

Richie_Rich, napalm06 and Louka like this.
  13. Purvis's shorts

I may listen to that the bathroom while I take a Scott Foster, then wipe my Steve Javie.

14. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Who else thinking "we are SO screwed"?

napalm06 likes this.
  15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I dismiss most all of what is said as obviously a ref sticking up for their own...

but the above point is one I've mentioned for years... whether it was Hardens 'hook the defender coming off the screen and pull them into him' or driving the lane and just throwing up his arms and flailing trying to get the call... or CP3's history of 'phantom flops'...

...and yes, I understand many other players employ similar tactics - and I dont like those either!

but many fans on here were all "I dont care what we do (even cheating) if it gets us the win..." but I do believe such behavior has caught up with us in some situations... and given Harden and CP3 reps with refs....

Thankfully, I see far less of this than in the past... with James choosing more to utilize the rules to his advantage - rather than fabric non fouls...

Not pointing this out to rag on anybody or to defend Foster or Javie... just to say its a lot nicer as a fan to be able to say "hey - thats the rules - dont reach..." or "it's called a gather step - its in the rules" when arguing with fans of other teams - and having the rules on our side! lol

noppeper likes this.
  16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Article posted 11/30/2018

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25410888/nba-james-harden-foul-drawing-mastery-unstoppable

So what is it Steve? He doesn’t try to fool refs or he does?

skroodup25, D-rock, vince and 15 others like this.
  17. joeson332

joeson332 Member

No thanks. **** Steve Javie. Even Olajuwon couldnt stand the son of a b****

D-rock and RayRay10 like this.
  18. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

All this talk about Harden is somewhat collectively becoming a personal attack. Which is worse: a personal attack on a single player by a ref, or an attack on a ref by a player? A player can be fined, and he was. A ref cannot and should not show such bias ("known to fool the refs" vs. taking advantage of the rule book). It's inherent in your job description!

The best ref is the one who remains nameless and is not known especially by us fans. The fact we know Scott Foster, Mike Callahan, and Tony Brothers by name and pray for their absence (let alone a collective presence in Gm 7 of the WCF!) in our games is really telling either about their ability to officiate or seeming desire to be known as part of the game.

All this talk is more about Game 7 and less about Foster's 2 calls against Harden in our game with the Lakers. Can you imagine Javie saying these exact same points immediately following Game 7? Disingenuous at best.

19. Moleb

Moleb Member

I'm just wondering why Harden hasnt been fined yet.

Or maybe he wasn't fined because there was some legitimate truth to what he said?

vince likes this.
  20. jowman

jowman Member

**** refs that try to take over the game and make it about them and their feelings. Be glad you can make a living off these players and keep your no talent mouths shut, no one came to watch the refs create some drama. Hoping technology takes over one day.

Handles likes this.