1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey usually fixes his mistakes, do you still want him as your GM?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 12, 2019.

?

Morey should have been fired

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. No

137 vote(s)
    87.8%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One user apparently is haunted by this one decision.
    For me, Morey dumped him off to the Lakers before he could do more damage to the team on the court.

He's usually good at getting rid of people as he is acquiring them.

Patience likes this.
  2. xaos

xaos Member

Tricky poll. I wanted to answer yes in response to the thread title but had to switch to no after the poll.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

It still is strange that some users are still mad at really old mistakes that Morey made.
    I mean look how quickly he fixes things since then, like Carmelo didn't last long and everybody like Ennis went away in less than a season.

4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Everyone makes mistakes. I'll keep the guy that gives himself ways to quickly correct his.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Post Morey getting rid of Lin, we made the Conference Finals twice

Not done since the 90s

FartWaffles, Tfor3, LFE171 and 3 others like this.
  6. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

At least Morey can dig himself out of the hole he made. Still the best in the league. Outside of Harden, he is the most important part of the Rockets.

7. adoo

adoo Member

revisionist history on the hater's part.

to sweep his stupid decision under the rug,

Morey bribed the Lakers w a 1st and a 2nd round pick to pick up Lin's poison pilled contract

IF ONLY

Morey was willing to give Goran Dragic, who had at least 2 good years w the rox, a 4th year,
    imagine the Rox team w the beard, Dragic and a 1st / 2nd round pick​

#7 adoo, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Morey signed Lin because Les wanted Morey to sign Lin. Morey had his marching orders from the owner. Will Clucthfans ever let Morey forget he overpaid for Anderson though?

I almost forgot about the poison pill contract and how Houston FO was trying to hunt down the Knicks who where hiding in various hotel rooms during the Summer league. No wonder other GM's aren't f*cking with the Rockets. This has to be one of the reasons. I bet GM's don't forget stuff like this. When it came time to re-sign Parsons didn't Dallas do a similar poison pill contract?

Everything is starting to make sense.

clutchdabear, kjayp, Nook and 4 others like this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Should have given Dragic his player option

kjayp, giddyup, Hakeemtheking and 2 others like this.
  10. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

He made our team better and got below the tax....clutchfans is not what it use to be... bunch of college kids and new comers that know very little...and understand even less.

11. xaos

xaos Member

I agree. The most costly mistake has been Ryan Anderson - which has been frustrating. But, almost all of the others have been fairly easy to fix. Morey makes these gambles based on the market.

This year has been the weirdest to me because we were not a deep team last year and Morey had a horrible offseason. But looking at our roster when healthy and we have improved (maybe unpopular opinion). He's taken great advantage of the buyout market and will likely have one more nice move before the season is over too (Morris).

Pure speculation but I imagine the long on-going conversation Tilman and Morey had this season is do not go over the luxury tax unless if it's for a true difference maker (ex Butler). Otherwise, Morey is one of the best in the business at evaluating the market, increasing his chances by taking multiple low-risk high-reward opportunities, and getting rid of them when they don't work.

Another mistake that we will just have to see play out is the handling of picks to get rid of unwanted salary. But, I'll continue to ride with Morey with a cautious eye on Tilman. He absolutely needs to spend more next year. Morey is hungry and capable and has earned my trust.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Morey fixes his mistakes with first rounds picks and Harden's wasted prime.

luckyman76 likes this.
  13. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

People hate on Tilman, but then praise Leslie Alexander... the same Leslie Alexander who got rid of our championship jersey/logo, replaced said jersey/logo with pajamas/dildo & years later down the road forced Morey to get him Jeremy Lin whilest destroying our hearing through years of trauma by exposing us to that awful screeching laugh of his.

Moral of story: Jeremy Lin was Leslie Alexanders baby, Morey was just trying to keep his job.

#13 Realjad, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

Well we have one who hasn't forgiven him for Jeremy Lin.

I mean we had duds like Ty Lawson.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Morey is my GM.

Nah, I imagined CHRIS PAUL AND HARDEN and going the WESTERN CONFERENCE GAME 7 AGAINST THE WARRIORS

You can imagine your first round exits

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

To even consider the thought is silly. Morey is the best GM.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Let me know how Morey handles that 3rd and 4th year of the CP0 contract.

18. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Morey's been bashed a lot for not having the best offseason, but the thing is, he's a shrewd and very, very competent GM who I'm happy to have at the helm of the Rockets.

Not everyone is perfect all the time. There are few if any GMs who are better than Daryl Morey, in my opinion.

xaos likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

Depends what happens with the Rockets
    If we win 1 title, than it's all worth it

Best GM since Steve Patterson

waytookrzy079 and Patience like this.
  20. seeingred

seeingred Member

That's interesting- I wonder how much of the divide is generational. There's sort of a "Do something, anything" vibe on one side and more of a "**** happens, things fall apart, the center cannot hold" feel on the other.