1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the Rockets ever contend during the remainder of the Harden Era?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 11, 2019.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Once Capela comes back at 100% this team will "contend" again. We don't have 4 All-Stars or a death lineup but we, currently assembled, do have better depth than last year and to offset Paul and Gordon's decline, we're getting a better Clint this year and, I can't believe it's an actual thing, a better Harden this year vs last year's model. I'm not stupid enough to think Harden's current onslaught will last where he drops 40+ a night for us to stay in games but getting the whole team back together and getting that chemistry right will go a long way with this team. Another player or two wouldn't hurt but if everyone plays their part I don't think any team in the West will want us as a 1st Round matchup.

Fun fact: We are currently 20-13 against teams over .500 which is best in the NBA in terms of W-L

D-rock, bilaal14 and Batman Jones like this.
  2. steddinotayto

Which is why I suggested some of these Debbie Downers find another team to root for. I, mean, if a sports team is the cause for this much negativity in your life, couldn't you just move onto another team that might make you happier?

I hate for the team to lose fans but these "fans" aren't worth having.

Batman Jones likes this.
  3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Word. Thank you.

steddinotayto likes this.
  4. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

you never trade the best player on the planet.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

There are so many fun facts like this. Bunch of Chicken Littles on this forum lately. This team's prospects are great.

Will never tire of your handle, btw. I miss that old team too.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We're contenders

it's not like we are losing the first round every time, that is what you call "Pretenders"

7. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

We will contend atleast this year and for the next 4....easily....

[​IMG]

8. steddinotayto

That team definitely was fun to watch because they had that upstart feel but the ceiling on that core was so low that it makes me appreciate whatever this team does or will do even more. Most fans don't remember how bad things were at different points on the Rockets timeline after the 2 championships.

Batman Jones likes this.
  9. BigBum

BigBum Member

Last week it's all Chris Paul contract thread.
    This week it's all Tilman thread.

Let me straight all of this up.
    It is not Paul or Tilman's faults, it is luxury tax's fault.
    I hope new CBA has no luxury tax.

10. steddinotayto

It's actually the players' fault for not wanting a smooth cap increase. They took the huge jump in 2016 with little regard for the long term implications to the league as a whole. That summer gave room for the Warriors to sign Durant and everything else was a reaction so that cataclysmic event.

11. dmoneybangbang

I think if the Rockets can spend the last quarter of the season healthy (hopefully with the addition of House), we can solidify roles and lineups that can lead back to the WCF.

I think only GSW and OKC have separated themselves from the rest and we are with OKC if we can stay healthy. I can't decide if Denver is dangerous or a great regular season team. The Jazz are good, but not great; I think we match up well against them. The Lebrons are a wildcard, not a championship wildcard, but could be the 4th best team in the West if Lebron has been coasting and taking his time this season. It could also fall apart in the locker room. Portland is a great regular season team with not a lot of playoff upside again.

steddinotayto likes this.
  12. Milos

Milos Member

Yeah I meant to remove Bev & Lou from final list since CP3
    But ...

Lou was out of rotation by end of POs
    Bev (when he played) was so poor running OFF he wore out Harden playing so many Mins together

Neither have been CORE part of anything special, here or elsewhere
    Thus they were completely expendable when opportunity to add to CORE came along

Just stinks that timing made CP3 his most expensive during what should be the 4 worst seasons of his HoF career
    Even if he does somehow stay on court for more than half the remaining 250+ games on his deal

D-rock likes this.