1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] Leroux: Rockets’ Repeater Tax fear more excuse than reality

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

If he plays well, he likely gets 8-11.

Remember it only takes one team to over pay.... ask Trevor Ariza.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, I mean, we don't know how he will finish the season. He is making 11M now. So, perhaps he takes less annually for more years or maybe a 1yr big payout. I am sure Morey has an idea of the market. But as a tool for aggregation, if Shumpert isn't resigned, that will be a big blow. And might tell us something too.

Nook likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

If he plays well and isn't resigned, then we will know that the owner isn't willing to pay any luxury tax.

I think Shumpert has been over paid, but we will see what the market gives him.

steddinotayto and justtxyank like this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Shump got a contract extension from the Cavs when Lebron got everyone paid that summer. There's a plausible excuse to let him go built in if someone offers him more than MLE (full MLE) type money. Someone offers him $11 million for multiple years the Rockets could justifiably say he isn't worth that salary.

Nook likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah but. . .

Ariza on a one-year deal for $15M, you can live with that (Tillman & many here couldn't)
    Emon Chumpert making $11M (or more) on a multi-year deal because you want to trade him a few months after the signing to make up for Knight's lost $15.6M salary...

6. Nook

Nook Member

I think the Rockets will try to get him on a short deal for more money upfront with the understanding that he could be dealt at a later date by the Rockets.

Of course I would love to be a fly on the wall in the Ariza home if the Rockets sign Shumpert for 1/12 or more.

7. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I mean, I get that Chumpert and Shumpert rhyme. Very clever.

But where is the joke in changing his first name to Emon? Asking seriously. I googled Emon to see if I was missing something, but came up empty.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Is this that stupid coconut water?

9. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

Why can't anyone post the article here? Can't believe no one took 10 seconds to help us. Am I missing something? Is the article impossible to copy/paste?