1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Will the Rockets ever contend during the remainder of the Harden Era?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 11, 2019.

1. icewill36

icewill36 Member

There is no such thing if you don’t get the proper help, especially in this era..

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You're not reality, you're a hater. You like another team and you're trying to drop poison pills. Don't buy anything this Big Bum guy has to say. It's meaningless but he'll lie his way into your heart if you'll listen.

3. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I don't know what tomorrow brings. Not going to worry about it either. Just going to enjoy watching an all time great play for my team.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I really don't know if this team can get creative enough with contracts outside of Harden and CP3 that would bring in the help needed to play among the big boys.

Having to rely on the buyout market each season, with CP3 nursing various injuries and Harden driving himself into the ground, is probably not a prescription for success. Rubbing two nickels together at the trade deadline...........not great, either.

I love CP3 when healthy but how often is that? Hell, even now, it's been tough to re-integrate him into what the team has been doing. They haven't played all that great since his return.

Good thing for the All Star break and my upcoming vacation.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Realistically...last year was the shot

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

if tillman isn't going to fight to keep a 65 win team one half away from the NBA finals together what will he? That's what you're seeing right now. The rockets may have a new sarvar on their hands.

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I keep hearing that and it pisses me off....damn man smh why did cp3 have to go down? I know he got hurt every time in post season with LAC but they never where going to win it. Last year we where going to win it...it just pisses me off bcuz GS ain’t shyt and all we get to say is we had them smh

But I’m hoping we are healthy hitting on all cylinders and they have chemistry issues again and have all kinds of drama and hopefully take them out but idk smh.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

First, “Tilman is cheap” is a lazy, unsubstantiated narrative. Just because Morey chose to shed salary this deadline doesn’t mean he is permanently barred from making impactful moves in the future. In fact, Tilman has gone on record saying as much (regarding the luxury tax).

Second, even with the roster as is, the Rockets are assumed to be a dangerous playoff team by literally every pundit. If that is not considered contention I don’t know what is.

I can, however, tell you what contention is not; it is not being garaunteed a spot in the wcf every year. No team, other than possibly the best team ever, (gs) has that expectation.

#48 T for 3, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    ChumpCity likes this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Damn man 1 half away in 2 games F$@&

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I've been called an apologist for many many years on the GARM. I reserve my right to get a bit salty if I want to from time to time.

(speaking of salty, can we talk about how hard it is to season fried shrimp Tillman?)

#50 dobro1229, Feb 11, 2019
    Louka likes this.
  11. s3ts

s3ts Member

legit question.

i'll say yes, they can go hard for someone next season or the season after, and i don't think Tillman will avoid the LT as long as we can contend that year.

but i do think it'll be hard to do it. just who in the hell is going to force a trade to this team, and which GM will deal with DM?

i know that we can't predict these things, and we can still land great FAs or trade for players on bad teams, etc. but we're not getting a top-5 player and we'll need them to turn into one when they get here, all the while being unable to grow young talents.

12. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

1) Depends on how you define contention? In my book, if you make it to the playoffs, you’re a contender - see 93,94 rockets.
    2) The league IMO sets who are true contenders and who are not - adjusted to the market... allowing and disallowing trades refereeing, etc.

Morey’s strategy to never tank and keep flexibility will ALWAYS keep us in contention. The opposite of New York Knicks and Sixers who year in and year out get lottery picks and don’t ever go anywhere?

So my answer is No to trading Harden and rebuild.

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Not him specifically but the fact that we were already contenders before he came. And Anderson was a part of that

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes calling out the fandom purity test will get you a long way in an internet forum discussion.

The premise isn't that hard to comprehend. Sorry if you cannot understand. The Rockets are in 5th place in the Western Conference. This is not the 65 win team that dominated last year, and on face value this team could have peaked in the Spring of 2018. Sorry if that reality doesn't suit your fandom purity test, and sorry if in the same post I have the AUDACITY to say that yeah... they can still hit in 3 key areas with the time we have left -

-Healthy CP3 (I'll add Capela too obv)
    -Strike Gold in buyout market
    -& Catch some breaks with other WC contenders

and still achieve what we ALL want the team to achieve this year.

Sorry if that reality just blows your mind and you cannot comprehend me not being happy about the Tillman cash moves & still seeing some opportunity to win a ring.

15. ballgame

ballgame Member

Harden has 4 more yrs of MVP level play left......MOREY MESSED UP THE FIRST 6 YRS HERE! So I seriously doubt it.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

James Harden CF account confirmed.

tc0330 likes this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Haha - meaningless. You know that old Far Side cartoon about what dogs actually hear when we talk to them? That's how I am when I read BigBum posts.

BigBum says:
    I see:

#57 topfive, Feb 11, 2019
    don grahamleone likes this.
  18. amaru

amaru Member

I disagree that this team was a contender for a championship before Paul. Now if you are referring to contending for a playoff spot, then yes. I think the main reason Paul came here was Harden and the wink wink deal.

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

No, of course not. Just read any of the threads in this Houston Rockets "fan" forum. Obviously we should stop trying, concede all future games, trade Harden for picks and tank. ::a million roll eyes::

Again, any fans on this fan site? Or has everyone become a more pessimistic version of armchair GM DaDakota? That's a Socratic question; the answer is obviously yes.

It would be great if Rockets could enjoy the home court advantage other teams do but that would require fans to actually root for their team instead of berating every single thing our team does.

An advantage to just giving up on our team would be that this forum wouldn't be so filled with toxic posts about how everything is going wrong regardless of how many things are going right.

I realize this is a passe thing to say in this forum but GO ROCKETS. I'm old school. I believe.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Doubt it. Morey is a modern day Carroll Dawson. Horrible contracts that handicaps the team to sign good role players, with Carrol it was washed up old vets and Morey is 10 day contract players.

But yeah, let's place the blame on Tilman