1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Source: Markieff Morris is one step away from the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Eddie Cecco, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I think I've been quite patient with the whole process. While other teams are building serious contenders, especially in the East), we are penny pinching.

It has been said, but it does not make less truth if repeated -- Tinman, while a rich man, is not rich enough to afford the costs associated in building up a champion. Nothing personal, I wish someone with real deep pockets stepped up and bought the team from him.

Penny pinching. :mad:

luckyman76 and Dgn1 like this.
  2. bmelo

bmelo Member

so that is why he is interested in Rockets... nobody else is. just like every single pick up of ours since off-season

BigMaloe, tc0330, chadyang and 2 others like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Just sign House asap. Forget about this guy. Even Mack will be better as a backup PG. At least he is healthy, unless he has been picked up. Beasley is sorta crazy, but he could come off the bench as a 4. Threes be damned as far as he is concerned. His efficient two's and iso's aren't bad.

#263 saleem, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Injured players can't be traded right?

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Great our "hope" needs a Neckiotomy.

BigMaloe, IvanLCPM, saleem and 2 others like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

Yes they are being traded all the time, and Morris isn't currently even in a team to be traded.

The Bulls are hard bargaining too much for MONTHS, with Lopez to buy him out. GarPax how miserable!

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You're jumping to step 3 before knowing or even acknowledging step 1 & 2.

1. Evaluate trade market and current assets available to make a major deal
    2. Propose offers on a trade acceptance that benefits both parties
    3. If no deals are made within the allotted time period, go to plan B and add a quality piece while also allowing yourself to dip under the LT so that you can sign buyout candidates or your own 2 way player (Danuel House).

Point is they tried but either deals fell through or the pieces they were offering were not very tempting.

IvanLCPM and Htown Legend like this.
  8. wesbound

wesbound Member

Which is the better bball player? Markieff or Marcus & didn't we have one of them at one point?

9. amaru

amaru Member

Marcus was drafted by the Rockets 1 spot ahead of Leonard.

Crashlanded19 and saleem like this.
  10. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Chicago already said they aren't buying him out

11. malakas

malakas Member

They say a lot of bullcrap all the time. It's a negotiating tactic to get him to leave more money.
    If he does he will get bought out tomorrow.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Lol... making stuff up. Have you followed the rest of the NBA the last few years?? Why do you think Faried slowly fell out of favor in terms of PT? IT's cause of his defense. But you apparently don't believe me, so here... let me google that for you.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...he-worst-5-defenders-at-every-position#slide0

Here's a fun recent one: https://www.thedreamshake.com/2019/...-brooklyn-nets-denver-nuggets-houston-rockets

Of note: As Kevin Pelton pointed out in his piece on Faried joining the Rockets, “going back to 2013-14, opponents have averaged 1.03 points per chance on picks switched by Faried, according to Second Spectrum tracking. That ranks 143rd of the 147 players who have switched at least 250 picks in that span.”

You might say... that was then, this is now, sometimes players just need a change of scenery... lol... ok.

I don't need articles, though I have the eye test. Faried is struggling... MIGHTILY... when it comes to switching on the perimeter. He was -11 against the Thunder in a 5 point loss. +/- one game isn't that meaningful... but what is confusing... why did MDA put him with 52 seconds left? Nene was +4 in his 3 minute stretch until he was replaced by Faried the last 52 seconds. And of course of particular note, once again, Faried failed on perimeter defense on a guard. He just doesn't have either situational awareness or good lateral movement. The second item kind of is what it is. Harden sucks there, too. But on the first item... it's not that complicated, if Westbrook beats you with a 3, he beats you with a 3. Can't let him easily slip a pick for an uncontested layup with with 27 seconds left.

Look around the 35 second mark

Again... ONE PLAY... but this play is super indicative of his perimeter defense. And as the NBA got more and more about guards that could shoot threes at volume at 35%+, or run great PnRs, Faried's deficiencies guarding that is what put him increasingly on the bench.

This is where Clint will help us almost as much as anything. Last year I felt as good with Clint on KD on the perimeter after a switch as I did with almost any defender. Clint had gotten VERY good, for a big, at guarding perimeter playmakers. For a team that relies on this extensively and switches as much as it does, very important.

Nonetheless, again, my mind is still reeling from just how bad Faried played that last play. Take a half step back, let Russ beat you going left - his worse hand, heck even a foul (they were over the limit but Russ had just gone 1-2)... all would have been better than overplaying one direction and letting him slip by for an uncontested layup.

BigMaloe, topfive, IvanLCPM and 4 others like this.
  13. malakas

malakas Member

Good post but you didn't even had to put in that much effort.
    Faried didn't fall from the sky this season.

He is well known to everyone following the league for his very bad bball iq in defence.

He is also known for his character issues.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yeah, but his hair looks cool when he's flying around the court.

15. malakas

malakas Member

top 30 good looking nba player without question.

I hope I don't get banned now for sexual harassment.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

This.

The Bulls ownership is extremely cheap and their GM is really bad at bluffing.

The Bulls will keep him if he wants every single penny. However, if he gives up enough they will buy him out.

malakas likes this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

i was just trying to be clear to the poster who thought I was overestimating how bad Faried's defense is.

I laid out my case, happy to be swayed otherwise though with facts or well researched observations...

malakas and justtxyank like this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Eye test says he does ok if a guy is right in front of him with the ball but really struggles making the switches and rotating. Honestly it looks like most of the time he's just out there "playing"

19. MC31B

MC31B Member

Since when has Morey not ever waited until the last minute to pull off a deal? The guy has pulled off some amazing trades after months of people lamenting him not making a move for the sake of making a move. The Warriors and 76ers are all in this year. The spurs won their titles by being in contention year after year without trading away their future. And while losing the 1st round pick hurts a little, I couldn't care less about the 2nds. Chandler parsons and Carl laundry was a long time ago. Plus they were early 2nd round picks. BTW it's not like Melton is lighting the league on fire or anything. Just wait until we see the playoff roster before bashing Tillman and Morey.

IvanLCPM likes this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Is that better or worse than a lobotomy?