1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AAF Football Anyone?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by seemoreroyals, Feb 11, 2019.

1. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I watched bits and pieces of a couple of AAF football over the weekend. I think I will follow the San Antonio team as it has a few former UH stars on their team such as Greg Ward and a few others. No kickoffs, different rules for OT and a few other changes but I am still trying to get used to the idea of more football while my mind is set this time of year on watching basketball.

There are only 8 teams in non NFL markets such as San Antonio and Birmingham. They only play until the middle of April then playoffs. Just read article in Yahoo where the first televised game Saturday night attracted more viewers than the Houston / OKC NBA game. So maybe it will catch on. Anyone else watching? Thoughts?

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

I watched both game that were shown this weekend it was entertaining although the QB play is very suspect the rest of it was very good.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I watched a little bit on Saturday night. That QB hit was just brutal.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Spurrier and Garrett Gilbert
    What could have been

5. Buck Turgidson

He put his helmet square in the QB's chest, QB never saw him coming, not an NFL penalty. That was solid. The final INT in the endzone was one of the better ones I've seen recently.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If the AAF can sign Tebow, Manziel etc. then it'll be here to stay.

7. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

What's up with Manziel? Last time I saw him was in A CFL game last year and he was absolutely terrible. I forgot how many interceptions he threw but it was not pretty. I agree the more name recognition they get to attract people to watch the better their chances are. It will be interesting to see if Tebow gets involved in this. Not sure how much he is getting paid as a part time TV personality and a minor league baseball player but you never know. If it hangs around for a while I think we will be able to look back and see quite a few NFL players that either resurrected or started their careers in the AAF. Same with some of the coaches.

8. Poloshirtbandit

Watched part of the San Antonio game. Was cool to see Greg Ward and Farrow. Hope the league sticks around.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

I saw a couple of games and thought them to be very entertaining. I think the season is perfectly placed for those not ready to leave football.

Uprising likes this.
  10. PhiSlammaJamma

I would like to see Greg Ward at QB. And he's 5'10.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Is the AAF to the NFL, what the G-league is, to the NBA?

12. Poloshirtbandit

Not really since there are no NFL team affiliations. It's mostly bubble/roster filler guys you'd see playing in preseason game 4.

13. HTM

HTM Member

Johnny Football to the AAF?

14. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Evidently AAF is interested in him if they can get to the bottom of what happened to him in CFL.

15. HTM

HTM Member

Makes me wonder where the XFL is gonna get players from next year

16. PhiSlammaJamma

XFL should experiment, one conference with all steroid teams. The other conference with the best clean talent. And let's see what happens. I would watch that.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

XFL technically can't get players like manziel because Vince McMahon and them decided to take a gimmicky approach by equating not standing for the anthem with not being model citizens. They can't sign bad apples like Manziel unless they walk back on their statements.

18. Buck Turgidson

"We will not drug test you, just like our wrestlers."

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. PhiSlammaJamma

There's just no compelling reason to watch. The USFL had less competition on TV and better talent. This league needs a story to sell. Something even the NFL is struggling to find. I don't know what that story would be, but it would help to tie it to something that polarizes fans and gives them a rooting interest.