1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the Rockets ever contend during the remainder of the Harden Era?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

CP's contract is large and long. Tilman has no appetite for spending and keep on trading picks to dump salary. The team has no young tradable pieces and has a draft pick deficit, other than Capela. Even when Morey uncovers a useful talent like House, we lose them over pay. No path for upgrade other than praying for buyout guys.

If the Rockets have no path for contention, is it time to trade Harden and start over?

Invisible Fan, s3ts and maw7079_2000 like this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Since you've seen the future can you tell me if I should invest in Bitcoin?

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Herrera will open more threads about Tilman.

ChumpCity, topfive and justtxyank like this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They've been to the WCF twice so far sooooo....

D-rock, ChumpCity, tinman and 9 others like this.
  5. amaru

amaru Member

Potentially........but I personally feel the Anderson signing doomed the Harden/Paul era before it ever started. It was a really just a terrible move that has mostly set the stage for the current financial realities.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

As long as Harden is healthy in his prime, YES, we are contenders.

Are there other, better teams, YES.

Basketball is a game that ONE person can impact.

D-rock, CCity Zero and ramotadab like this.
  7. tc0330

tc0330 Member

youd be better off investing in strippers.

ramotadab likes this.
  8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Trade Harden? This is just straight trolling.

ramotadab and Louka like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cleverly disguised I wouldn't blame James Harden if he asked for a trade thread. ;)

Playoff team? Yes.
    Title team? . . .

#9 J.R., Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    ramotadab likes this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'll never forget after game 7 Moes on the pod with Clutch said "I think this team might have missed their window". Clutch was taken aback as I was, but in reality he might have been more right than we think.

I LOVE LOVE CP3, and I don't fault Morey or Tillman for bringing him back... but yeah.... bringing him back was a roll of the dice that 2019 & 2020 would be two seasons he would be 100% healthy for, you'd strike gold with cheap buyout guys to fill out the roster, and things would break your way again in the West.

Morey crapped the bed with Summer 2018 roster fill outs, CP3 has been hobbled, and the West is looking tough as always. The only thing that gives hope is that Harden is playing out of his damn mind, but with this supporting roster I do think its highly unlikley this is a team that can make it to the conference finals.

2019-2020 season will probably be the last one to contend and it all has to do with how Morey does this summer on roster fill outs, and if CP3 can have one last healthy season honestly.

Given whats likely this post season & the high risks going into this Summer to build out a contender, I do think re-signing CP3 with such a cheap owner might very well have been a mistake. Morey might very well have underestimated Tillman's cheap a$$, and that re-signing bites him in the tail & probably has him looking at other opportunities with a better owner.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Morey pulls out some magic along with a strike of luck with CP3's health. But I'm realistic here. Yeah... Tillman + maxed out unhealthy CP3 = little to no chance of a title.

I don't think we've LOST out on our window yet, but we are certainly LOSING time quick in our window for a title.

11. dobro1229

I don't think it has to be cleverly disguised anymore. If you aren't ready for a possible Harden trade request in the very near future you aren't paying attention. Its the NBA. See Anthony Davis in NOLA who has 80 million left on his contract with them.

Yes Houston is a much better situation, but its still looming on the horizon, and every day that Lebron is sitting in LA without a super team buddy to play with the risk gets higher & higher that Harden might see the writing on the wall & request out of town.

Tillman is playing with fire with his cheap a$$ cash grab moves going into the playoff run with Harden carrying this team on his back. If I was a superstar like Harden playing the way I am I would have been offended as hell with what Tillman pulled off.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

#obnoxiousthread

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You are aware that that was a knee jerk reaction, right? This team hasn't even gotten a second opportunity yet (the playoffs) and you're already burying them. WTF? Get a grip homie.

ChumpCity and Hard_foul like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it was MoiseKapenda(MK) Bower and not the poster Moes. I was surprised to hear the name tbh.

15. dobro1229

I'm actually not if you read my post. I was saying that Moes said they "might have" missed their window.

I also clearly said that it is possible for the below to happen-

-CP3 Health
    -strike gold with cheap roster fill outs
    -breaks in the West

That could happen this year still (although unlikely with what is left out on the market to sign), CP3 can get healthy at the right time, and you never know what can break in the West. The KD in GS stuff is interesting although they are still world beaters. Locker room stuff can have an impact.

Things can break right, and this team could still win it all. Nobody is saying tear it all down, and tank for draft picks. They have a few more dices to roll, but yeah its a worthy question to wonder if 2017-18 might have been their best window. That window can close quick in the NBA. Doesn't mean I'm still not hoping for things to break right, and be back in the WCF this year.

16. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Blow it up!
    Sell the team and relocate to Austin...

We can’t contend when cheapskate Tillman is holding us back.....

But on a real note... We’ll be ok. We were a game away from the Finals last year and come playoff time this year, we should be ready to battle fight our way through the west.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OP is a drama queen, thread starter.

Since when does,
    • "Will the Rockets ever beat the best team ever assembled" Durant, Curry, Cousins, Green, Klay
      become
    • "Will the Rockets ever Contend"
    With Capela, Rockets are right now a contender, because Harden's improvement is that great. When Cousins leaves, Rockets have a chance to beat GSW, again.

ChumpCity, joeson332, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  18. dobro1229

Yes sorry... MK Bower. Moise... not Moes. Apologies to both guys.

saleem likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Comedian =/ Drama Queen doe.

20. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

Next year is our real chance when the Warriors lose one or two of their key players, if we can upgrade around Harden, Paul and Capella by turning Gordon’s expiring and others into another good talent and bolster our supporting cast, we’ll have a chance next year. Who knows, if we get fully healthy and the injury bug bites the Warriors, we could have shot this year, especially if we add back House and can get a healthy Kieff.

rhee and chadyang like this.