1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rebounding problem - it's not about missing Clint

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmelo, Feb 10, 2019.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean, I hate to say this but I think its really about Clint, I mean not having him makes it worse but we were the worst in defensive rebounding % before he got hurt.

BaselineFade and bilaal14 like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets are missing House. There is no doubt. He added a lot at SF. The athleticism and simple things like "boxing out" were huge.

3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Yes. This exasperates me more than anything. Even more than those "possessions" where Harden casually squanders the clock and mails in a lame 3 attempt. How am I, as a fan, supposed to care about whether my guys win the game, when they don't seem to care themselves? The ball goes up, and they stare at it like 6th graders. YOU ARE PROFESSIONALS. YOU ARE PAID MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. PUT YOUR BODY ON SOMEBODY.

4. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

This would solve at least 90% of our rebounding problems... we will never be GREAT at it, but average is enough!

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Except that's not true. The team collectively had their heads in their asses in October, but the rebound differential was basically neutral in November in December

I'm not gonna do a game by game breakdown, but the difference in January and February is pretty damn substantial

In November 40.7 opponent 40.8 (10.3 ORPG)
    In December 43.6 opponent 42.9 (10.0 ORPG)
    In January 41.4 opponent 49.3 (12.1 ORPG)
    In February 40.4 opponent 46.4 (13.0 ORPG)

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2019/splits/

Swiss Roll and cbs1507 like this.
  6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

It’s def Clint being gone.

We give up way to many offensive rebounds under the basket.

The long ones from missed threes happen but Clint will grab those ones under the basket and get in the way of big guys like Steven Adams.

Our defensive problems are because of the offensive rebounding issue we have.

We also miss Clint’s rim protection.

He’s just the only true big man we have on the team at this point from a defensive perspective.

We need that rim protection and rebounding.

And it’s true we were not great with Clint when he was playing but we’re far worse now and when Clint was playing we didn’t have Fareid as a backup whos a good rebounder himself running second unit.

That alone will make a difference.

It don’t see how anyone would not think getting Clint back will make a worlds difference on both ends of the court.

chadyang likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

TIME TO PRAY! :(

D-rock and bmelo like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

But I thought Capela's whole value is 100% connected to Harden and most of his effectiveness can be replicated by anyone that can catch a lob?

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Capela last game was Jan 13th
    House last game was Jan 14th

So it’s House being gone that is the difference. Lol.

If I keep putting out PG’s and teach them to block out, we are still going to lose the rebounding game. Because
    players like Cousins, Embiid, Greek Freak, LeBron, Etc are just going to cast them aside like paper tigers and the
    refs are going to look the other way. Even KAT has learned from last year to be more aggressive and stronger.
    Use their size.

No. More. Guards!! Please!! I’m still seeing people posting they want more guards.....J Lin!?! I give up.
    I can put 5 players 6 foot tall and teach them proper blocking out technique.....they are still getting their a$$#$ kicked.

11. bmelo

bmelo Member

I'm glad basketball genius agrees with this thread

We can't just count on Capela - he may get fouls, he may get injuried. It's GMs job to get a sub that can atleast try to fill the gap to the lower extent

12. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

I hope D'Antoni leaves eventually. They could've easily started Shumpert yesterday at the SF position, and yet that stupid coach is so in love with outdated small ball that he keeps insisting on playing Gordon when that's NEVER been an effective starting lineup this year. It's been trash. Gordon guarding Paul George? Brilliant idea there, coach.

I actually think adding BOTH House and Morris would help this team's rebounding issues along with Capela's return. Tucker has been absolutely atrocious this year. I don't give a sh*t about his defense if his offense and rebounding stinks that much. It's like those fraudulent offensive players who can score the ball but hemorrhage points on the other end--just as useless. Either way, as long as the team consistently gets outrebounded, they have no chance to go far in the Playoffs.

PeterKingX likes this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

Bro, you have no stats to back up what you are saying, just stop. All you use is your bum eye test which is bad, weve always been very low in defensive rebounding % , no matter House or Capela.

14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think a lot of people here who are disagreeing don't realize that they're actually both correct, two things can be true at the same time. We are a very bad defensive rebounding team right now, and we were also a very bad defensive rebounding team even with Capela. Even after we get Capela back, we will still be bad, however, we will be less bad.

With Capela our defensive rebounding percentage as a team was 75.4%, which is good for 25th in the league (out of 30), so yes, we are bad even with Clint. That being said, since Clint has gone down, we have been at 70.6%. The worst team right now is at 72.9%, so not only are we the worst rebounding team in the league right now, but we are the worst by a mile. Nobody is even close.

So yeah, Clint coming back will help a lot. We will go from being the literal worst rebounding team in the league back up to the 25th rebounding team in the league.

joshuaao, bmelo, BaselineFade and 3 others like this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

Good god. Tilman is garbage, all the moves we made was for Shumpert, we needed moves and we needed it now. Im really frustrated losing to teams on rebounds. Its so....gross.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

:confused::confused:
    Yuck

17. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It really is frustrating to watch when the other team gets so many chances to score. I think there was one possession where OKC got 3 offensive rebounds in a row, and then scored on their 4th try. I'm really curious how much this impacts our defense, like, how many less points per game would we allow if we could rebound at a league average rating? Or how many points per game would we allow if we were the best rebounding team in the league? I really don't feel like our defense is that bad when I watch it, but it's really hard to stop teams when they get so many extra attempts from offensive rebounds.

Maybe I'll try to think through how to calculate this at work tomorrow if I have time.

18. HP3

HP3 Member

I imagine its would give us a huge boost. Last year, I remember reading an article with Bzdelik talking about rebounding being a huge key to our defense,defensive rebounds in particular obviously. Last year we were 3rd in the league in defensive rebounding percentage...third, at 79.9%, this year...well you know. :( And to add to that, Milwaukee with a top 3 defense, is first in defensive rebounding percentage, no surprise there.

I guess Ariza was a very underrated rebounder, idk. I guess there was a reason Dantoni played him so many minutes. Not to mention....Luc(he prolly was a good rebounder) was just a stud perimeter defender, I rarely saw anyone beat him last year, not even superstars. Its hard for me to believe though that two players caused this much.

Its also probably other teams figuring out our switch defense.

19. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I am laughing when I read "Gordon guarding Paul George?"

I cant agree more. Paul George had 100% shooting rate in 1st quarter.

MDA's mind is broken down. It seems like he already give up this season.

BasketMAD likes this.
  20. Sanity2disChaos

I like tucker also but at this point in his career , he isn’t really a starter. Borderline at best. Great backup!! Top of the line backup actually!! Honestly, house and kieff would be the best we can hope for and it seems they are pipe dreams to a degree.