1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] Leroux: Rockets’ Repeater Tax fear more excuse than reality

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Feb 10, 2019.

1. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

Can anyone post it here?

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

• I’m all for being prudent with trades and signings, because you only have so many assets and opportunities to pull the trigger.
    • I’m all for avoiding the tax line for CBA and Trade flexibility ...
    • I know how all that works.
    But trading away that many assets vs just cutting Ryan Anderson is insane. I’ll go so far to say Tilman is being selfish, because he wanted to own the Rockets so bad, but didn’t have enough money, and he knows it. We signed Anderson to Double Down and Go For it, We traded for Paul to go for it and to maximize Harden’s prime. We then Max’d Paul.

No one does all that in a GOATs prime, then puts on the brakes and says, let’s burn all these draft picks for nothing ... nothing but money savings.

It’s insane and selfish of Tilman to use draft picks to save money, when Harden is on your team.

HakeemOnlyFan, Deuce, Nelly and 27 others like this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sadly might be the most plausible reason.

With Butler he thinks we can take GSW thats why the Rox tried to trade for him but as is he doesnt think they can take GSW so no need to pay Lux tax.

BigShasta likes this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this is basically what i've been saying the past couple days -- they are wasting harden's prime over the owner's wallet. and even if the repeater tax did come up in the future, tilman would have made sure we just trade capela into another team's capspace. harden and the fans have been royally F'ed by the new owner.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not relying on Codman for this. Multiple reports were out there that we were working on Temple/Green and Tilman flat out said another team backed out of a deal with us. That was then confirmed to be the Temple/Green deal.

They backed out because apparently Charlotte was considering wanting Green with Gasol. We ended up pivoting to Shump, my guess is because the Kings/Cavs/someone couldn't wait anymore so we had to pull that trigger.

IvanLCPM, Deuce, malakas and 2 others like this.
  6. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Butler sells tickets lol dumbasses still using that excuse for tilmen

We dont need another superstar to beat gs. Just simple upgrades

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I disagree with the article, and agree with the comments under the article.

seeingred and RayRay10 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Correct me if I'm wrong... wasn't that the exact reason to avoid the tax this year, so that you theoretically are shielded from the repeater tax for the length of the CP3 deal?

I am upset about losing picks, but I think they will have salary to flip or convert next year in Gordon and Nene. Unfortunately they have very little in the way of young players or picks to entice so it's going to be very tough trying to acquire a star core piece.

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Clutch, is there a chance that the Rockets draft my cousin?

malakas and daywalker02 like this.
  11. BigBum

BigBum Member

Non-taxable plan in July 2019:
    $10.1 million to reach the luxury tax line
    House and Green: 6 million
    5.1 million for 5 new players (Average Per Player 1 million)

The trend is no more team gives average players long term and big salary. As a result, it could be harder to find buyout players in the future.

12. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Tillman borrowed money to fund this purchase.

Let that sink in..

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yes, the author is arguing that it wasn’t likely to be a repeater though because by year 4 when we’d be the repeater our books would clean up and we could duck it.

Theoretically though I agree that this year is the easiest to get under. However, I think Brandon knights contract would have been useful next year, not necessarily for a star piece but for a good player being dumped because of his contract.

Now the only way to make a move is, as you point out, to aggregate gordon with someone else which means you deduct a player while you add.

It’s just frustrating to spend assets to dump knight when’s he’s useless when next year he would have been useful.

14. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Ok, so how much of Anderson's salary did we actually pay vs. what was shipped to other teams via draft picks? What was our net savings vs. just cutting him outright?

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

thank you man. thank you. The point I've been trying to hit home. Ultimately, Just ridding ourselves of anderson was 2 1st rounders

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. BigBum

BigBum Member

Tilman does not make 100 percent effort to improve the rosters. I hope this won't be the trend.
    Total Luxury tax payments (sample)
    Not big market
    Cuban 152 million
    Dan Gilbert 180 million
    Trail Blazers 87 million
    Oklahoma City Thunder 107 million
    GSW $97 million

In today's nba, if a team wants Championships, it must pay big luxury tax.

PeterKingX and Dgn1 like this.
  17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think that's misleading though. While I've converted to the Tillman sucks and wish we had a more spendthrift owner, Tillman put up his businesses as collateral. I mean, he could have sold his assets to fund this purchase. He could have put together an ownership group. He has enough assets, but he just wanted to keep them because they make money. He's having his cake and eating it too I guess.

#37 Kim, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    malakas likes this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

I just don't see the math on that. In year 4 of of CP3's contract, just he and Harden alone will put our books at $90M+. How could we possibly "clean up" and still field anything remotely resembling a competitive roster?

Morey's assessment that this is the easiest year to come in under the LT was absolutely correct. It stings, but if the plan was to get through the length of CP3's contract without being assessed a repeater tax, this was the say to do it.

I will say, though, that if Adam Silver can find a legal way to demand royalties of some sort once the NBA gambling shifts into high gear, that could raise the cap and LT levels substantially and change everything.

Corrosion, MC31B and mikol13 like this.
  19. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

would you take cj mccollum if the blazers offered him for cp3

20. BigBum

BigBum Member

Year 4 is cost saving rebuilding plan, but not resemble a competitive roster.

Year 1 is cost saving.

Year 2 and 3 win Championships