1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rebounding problem - it's not about missing Clint

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmelo, Feb 10, 2019.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

I see a lot of posters here calm others down about our rebounding problem linking it to Clint Capela BUT we were being outrebounded with him too! It's the cost of playing Tucker out of his natural small forward position. Nene isn't a bad rebounder and neither is Faried the problem lies within the next four positions. That's why we fell in love with House - he was big enough to give us size boost.

That gimmick small ball lineup with EG at the SF was figured out by opponents a long time ago and while our role players are on fire it can trick you to being great - it's not. It just takes opponents defense to be locked in and lenghty to completly expose it. Second halfs against GSW, OKC, previous games with Portland, Orlando, Miluwakee..... If they get locked in and close out aggresively it becomes apparent we have no tactic other than pickandroll or contested 3 and on the other end we get so killed on the boards and in the post it's just sickening. Bringing Shupmert, Morris or some other role player won't change it - we need lenghty, athletic big who can reboung&create his own offense. House is nice start but some estabilished starting material player would be nice. Too bad it's too late for that #luxurytaxsavings #flexible #future

2. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Morey seems pretty confident when he talks about the buyout market. My hope is that he can get a player or two to address the needs that you listed.

My fear is Clint getting into foul trouble vs a guy like Boogie. Boogie used to give Clint problems with his pump fakes. Foul trouble could be a problem.

I do agree that we need more size. It may be Kieff or bust at this point. Maybe there will be some surprise buyouts.

chadyang, IvanLCPM and seemoreroyals like this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We were being slightly beat on the boards with Capela. We were playing the same smallish lineup last season, it's not a big deal.

We're getting completely fathered without him, and that isn't something a team can survive.

YaoMing#1, HP3, Blurr#7 and 2 others like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

House a nice start? House ain't playing and he is no big.

chadyang, D-rock and CVcrew like this.
  5. anchel

anchel Member

Well, Morris definitely would help, he's 6-9 and plays hard. We could even think about putting back PJ at SF and start Kieff at PF.
    Otherwise you are right. House and Kieff (and Capela of course) should make a difference for this team. Absolutely not a fan of starting Gordon. BALANCE, please.

clutchdabear and topfive like this.
  6. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I like Tucker and I understand he and Harden are really tight and day in and day out there is not anyone on the team that plays harder and with more heart than Tucker. The problem is he is undersized and is a below average shooter. I don't know how many times and if they keep stats for this that I have seen bigger opponents standing over him and grabbing rebounds. Or how many times Harden kicks him a wide open three and he bricks it. I can see playing him when the match ups make sense but we need someone else at that position most of the time. I don't know who that person is but I know that he is out there. It's up to our management and ownership to go out there and do something about our weakest link. It's like we have Chuck Hayes playing center on our team all over again. Love the hustle but don't love the results.

AuburnRocket and BigShasta like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

We play a smaller player at almost every position (expect Harden, who can't be counted as the primary rebounder). Worse, we don't box out as a team. So even smaller players swoop in and grab rebounds. Its almost as if unless its an offensive board with the possibility of scoring our players surrender rebounds to the opponents. Capella, and to a slightly lesser degree, Faried are the only players focused on rebounding.

As the trading deadline approached and passed by, who did we sign? And undersized 3. And now that its passed, we are hoping to add an undersized 4 at the end of the season?

chadyang and bmelo like this.
  8. bmelo

bmelo Member

He is like 2 inches taller than our starting power forward + has much more hops while not being skinny as Gerald

chadyang and BigShasta like this.
  9. pauebtg

pauebtg Member

He is only like an inch taller than Tucker and weighs 25 lbs less.

D-rock likes this.
  10. bmelo

bmelo Member

1-2 doesnt matter. He would play instead of Gordon who is like 6’4 at most and doesnt give a **** about neither boxing out or rebounding

anchel likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Its called complete lack of effort. All but one of the OKC starters had 8 or more rebounds and the other had 4. Ridiculous when Harden, Gordon, Green, and Rivers had 3 rebounds between the 4 of them.

I hate the small ball lineup too, but their lack of hustle, not size, was the rebounding problem last night. I mean our shortest player, CP3 was able to get 9 rebounds.

RudyTBag and Louka like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He does not rebound that well what I meant.

13. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

It's not even Tucker. It's because the Rockets have professional NBA players that don't use the simple fundamental skill of BOXING OUT. I can't recall how many times I see the other teams crash the board while our undersized were standing around looking at the ball instead of putting a body on a body.

14. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

It’s called practice, which apparently the Rockets don’t do enough of.

bj3175 likes this.
  15. bmelo

bmelo Member

lol @Dantoni coaching style. He basically just yells at refs, gives power to Harden and CP on offense, Bzdelik on defense and doesn't throw up practices lol.

bj3175 likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Rockets cannot nab DJ or Lopez in buyout then maybe Greg Monroe?

None of 3 options are very good switch defenders but all 3 are better rim protectors and can log more minutes than Nene.

BamBam likes this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yes, those are the ONLY things D'Antoni does. That's it. Nothing more. :rolleyes:

clutchdabear and HP3 like this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Part of the problem are the early threes, when there is literally not a single own player under the basket. If it goes in, great, if not, it's like a definite turnover.

But other than that, it's the lack of Capela. Another bad thread by OP.

19. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Ofcourse its about Clint... this is dumb.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

So I guess you missed the entire season so far when the Rockets have been at the bottom of the league in rebounding WITH CAPELA PLAYING.