1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BimaThug] how the rockets can avoid the tax while signing buyout guys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 8, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He’s got personal stuff going on so I figured I would share his twitter stuff here for those who’ve been asking.

And then the question of what happens to house in this scenario for next season:
    @BimaThug

2. threepointshot3

Lol cheap ass owner cutting costs and now praying Clint don’t reach his goals so we can some bread crumbs left over.

pr0wler, RyanB, BasketMAD and 26 others like this.
  3. justtxyank

Here it is in quote format for people who can’t see twitter

Corrosion, Pat, snowconeman22 and 8 others like this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So were are supposed to be rooting for Capela to not rebound and hit his free throws, now?

Mazulis, pr0wler, RyanB and 30 others like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fans should actually root for Capela to do well on his incentives, it benefits the player and not the owner.

Didn't he just say he was okay with the LT just not the Repeater Tax?

Now this?

snowconeman22 and Air Langhi like this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Except the Rockets will apparently be in cheap-skate mode again next year if they can’t get under the tax limit this season. So if we want the Rockets to fully commit to winning the next couple seasons, I guess you hope Capela doesn't get on a hot streak on the defensive boards or free throws. Weird situation.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is no guarantee TF won't turn his back on his words...... his team.

The Super Max will be kicking in one or the other way, and hooray, he will find ways to save money.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

So why is it that Capela's FT incentive is the pivotal one? Is it just cumulative, that the other two for 1.5M are likely to happen and the final 500k from the FT incentive would put them over?

9. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

so basically, those lamenting about Mathews not signing with us after get bought out... we weren't even offering lol. That goes the same for any other buyout candidates available before Feb 21st.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah because you know, really good players are available on the last day of the season. They tend to stick around without a team at that time.

11. Rockets Rule

Rockets Rule Contributing Member

I would imagine if everyone is on board - for the betterment of the team (other than Chris Pauls high salary) that they will find another way to keep Clint out of the game and still get Clint his money. Seems like a better way for everyone involved.

Would be nice to know what the number of the penalty would be if we go over so that everyone is clear what number we are talkin about. Is it only an extra 5 million? or 25 million? (not sure anyone would like giving up 25 million)

As well, what about the “carryover effect” of being in the same boat next year, or even worse.... The question seems to be - “should we bite the bullet this year or next?” Are our chances better “next year” to go all out for the win (possibly if Durant leaves the Warriors) or is this the year to sign everyone regardless of cost and throw the “Hail Mary”?

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

They have to stretch Nene. Codman has been hinting that Nene feels the Rockets might want to get rid of his contract, maybe that's what was meant.

EDIT: I'm being told we can't stretch players at this point in the season.

#12 Mathloom, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    xiki likes this.
  13. justtxyank

No they don’t. They’re under and have an easy path to stay under

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

That's not an easy path, that's a guaranteed loss to the Warriors. Before you say Warriors will be favorites no matter what, it's a more guaranteed loss. And I actually like the Shumpert addition.

15. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I just can’t start hoping that Clint gets ice cold from the ft line, or stops rebounding all of a sudden. He was on a rebounding tear before he got injured and I was enjoying it.

This is a sick situation, and I understand the luxury and repeater tax implications, but I want Clint to hit every incentive. It’s not his fault that management screwed up or that Tilman is who he is. As badly as we have been dominated in the paint since he’s been out?

I want Clint to eat. Screw this.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Past time to stretch for this year; but, buy-out?

17. justtxyank

The path laid out doesn’t impact adding a single player. Like what solution do you see to best the warriors this year that changes the above?

18. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member

Lol, imagine if you are Clint and you know that getting your bonus meaning screwing the owner and the team. Unbelievable

pr0wler, fattz, saleem and 5 others like this.
  19. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man, never thought that basketball would turn so sour like that, to come to this reality. You always knew finances were an important part for every team, but to get to a point where you can’t even field a full roster, unless your able to find some spare change in the couch cushions is saddening. Where even to the point that we don’t want players on the team to succeed and reach certain incentives, this is ridiculous.

It has come to a time where it’s less about basketball and winning and all about the mighty dollar, which in the back of mind you knew it always was, but to see it front and center is devastating. Never thought I would say it during a season with so much potential, but when do catchers and pitchers report?

pr0wler, fattz, BasketMAD and 7 others like this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's enough to demoralize anyone. Clark was told his contract wouldn't be guaranteed unless he played in two playoff games. House was initially offered a 3 year non-guaranteed contract. It's a pattern, team results are secondary to the owner, it seems. DJ, Kieff and House can add a lot of depth to the team, but no one will want to come here on these terms.

fattz, BasketMAD, luckyman76 and 7 others like this.