1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Lies A-Plenty] Trump's 2019 SOTU

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Feb 5, 2019.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

All of a sudden CNN (and CBS) is a good source, not "fake news", and polls matter. :rolleyes:

B-Bob and justtxyank like this.
  2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

She just doesn't seem to ooze charisma & excitement, IMO. Her voice just doesn't resonate with me. She is certainly more qualified and knowledgeable than an AOC (who would have been a horrible choice, IMO).

Personally, she's pretty far left, which I'm not, and her high debt load is a real turnoff for a voter like me that places high importance on fiscal responsibility. In comparison to Trump Shills like Brian Kemp & David Perdue, though, I'll support her.

body slam and NewRoxFan like this.
  3. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

You don't get to make up something and then attribute it to me, just like I don't get to call you Krassenstein or Gu (although basically all you do is regurgitate Twitter hacks).

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I'm not doubting the validity, but I'm also not shocked at the number either. I for one didn't watch it. I know a ton of people who disagree with the stance by this administration who didn't watch it either. The state of the union is hardly what it is advertised to be, it's more just political grandstanding by one side and snark by the other. Hardly worth watching in my book, but whatever.

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  5. NewRoxFan

Wow... such anger over a light-hearted post with an emoticon. And accusing me of posting krassenstein tweets (no clue who or what "Gu" is)? The krassensteins are the left wing equivalent of ben shapiro and james woods. Heck, I avoid posting tweets by Seth Abramson, even though more and more it seems like Abramson has been right on a lot of his theories (hmm... maybe I should start posting his tweets).

But hey, not everyone likes my posts... and there is a really easy way to avoid getting upset... click on my user name, look to the right, and click on the Ignore feature. It really works... heck there are two people I've been ignoring for years. That way you won't get upset and will only see positive things about trump. Win win!

B-Bob and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

7. NewRoxFan

Heck, there were lots of promises made in trump's speech that were obviously made to please trump detractors. Cancer research, AIDs research, letting in lots more legal immigrants. Who could oppose any of that? (well, I suspect the stephen millers and steve bannons of the republican party probably opposed that last one). And... that really cute little girl... who could get upset about her?

Probably many people don't believe trump (including some of his supporters). I suspect what he says and tweets over the coming weeks will contradict the things he said last night.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

He said a lot of impossible to oppose things to show how the dems don't care about their base. And it worked. Plenty of them sat still when they should have stood and clapped. The optics were great for him.

#228 dachuda86, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Actually the best optics moment for him (imo) was when he talked about ending late term abortions and 99% of the dems sat silently. Dems have tried to waffle and deflect on that historically and last night he got the visual he wanted.

Nook, body slam and dachuda86 like this.
  10. NewRoxFan

More likely, he rolled out lots of "lets end world hunger" things with no details how and since most knew he was simply blowing smoke up their... they didn't stand. I think most people in American know what trump really believes and stands for...

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Eh, disagree. I think it was not a good move to sit when they praise women and minorities getting jobs and things like that. Really looks bad when you can't praise their success. Terrible optics.

You are welcome to think you know how most Americans think, but the optics didn't look good from what was shown on TV to anyone who isn't super partisan left.

BigDog63 and TheresTheDagger like this.
  12. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Oh, come on. I criticized you for making assumptions about what I believe and putting words in my mouth. It's a practice that isn't conducive to further discussion and does have a tendency to irritate people in real life and online. However, I'm realistic that most people just use this forum to troll and have no intention of listening to what people have to say.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He talked about protecting pre-existing conditions when the GOP is suing to get rid of it.

Trump is just lying about stuff.

Nook and JayGoogle like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. NewRoxFan

I think I mentioned this earlier, but perhaps Speaker Pelosi thinks its important to respect the president (at the very least, the office of the president) and the House?

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

so all that shuffling of paper behind him while Trump was speaking is a sign of respect? gotcha

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

alternative hypothesis: the mean girls in white are morons who need to be herded like cats. just a hypothesis.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Stacey Abrams is an absolute unit.

Nook likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

Those papers were the transcript of his speech traditionally distributed. She was probably checking to see if it was an ad lib. And before you try the "and she rolled her eyes", her response to what was such an obvious lie that even joe wilson would have shouted out again.

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

from Althouse mentioned previously:

1:30 — "And exactly one century after the Congress passed the constitutional amendment giving women the right to vote, we also have more women serving in the Congress than ever before." This is the dynamic in the middle of the word "before":

[​IMG]

Nancy is calling on her people to rise.

1:45 — And here's how it looks as he gets to the end of "before":

[​IMG]

1:47 — They're all up, and though AOC is looking dyspeptic (for an instant), there's lots of celebration and cheering:

[​IMG]