1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Super Bowl LIII: New England Patriots vs. Los Angeles Rams

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jan 20, 2019.

?

Super Bowl LIII: New England Patriots vs. Los Angeles Rams

Poll closed Feb 3, 2019.
  1. Patriots

80.6%
  2. Rams

19.4%
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Then you should want the TV to not show the replay at all. Just go back to the old days when nobody is sure if a call is correct or not. You can't go back because the way the game is treated on TV is going to show a blown call again and again. And if a big mistake is made, it not only screws the team that gets the bad end of the call, it also taints the win of the team that benefits from the mistake.

Not all mistakes are equal. True, a lot of in-game mistakes are evened out in the course of the game. But there are mistakes that actually DECIDES the outcome of a game. And that outcome will always carries an asterisk in people's mind, especially if it is an important do or die game.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Maybe already discussed, but think Gilmore or Hightower were better options for MVP.

Also perhaps already discussed, but this post-season as much as any clarified the architect of what makes the Patriots great.

It's Bellicheck. Even if its Bellicheat.

He enormously enormously enormously outcoached all 3 opponents this year. The closest was Andy Reid, but it took him a half to catch up.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There are ways to shorten the review process. You have made some suggestions. While I don't think you should eliminate on-field officiating all together, I think an out-of-the-field overiding mechanism can be done efficiently.

Challenges won't increase significantly because teams have to take the risk of losing a timeout if it fails. If the 2-minute calls is a concern, you can keep the reviewable calls for this as is but expand the challengeable calls.

My beef about the excuses given to reject more rigorous officiating is that most of them are just lazy excuses, not willing to think creatively to solve problems.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

5. Buck Turgidson

Bro...of course. He's from Worcester or Quincy or one of those....

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

lw17 likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The point is that these games do take way too long. Part of it has been mitigated by cutting out the extra batch of commercials after TD's (and doing in-game commercials that take 30 seconds), but advertisers and networks aren't going to give much more up.

Stoppages negatively impact both the viewing experience but more-so the in-game experience. Many are readily admitting that the at home viewership of the game is much more enjoyable than going to the game (unless you're really into tailgating)... and as you've already pointed out, less people are actually watching these games year after year.

Fantasy Football has already semi jumped the shark, with many now fracture into simply doing daily fantasy, which will simply further devolve into individual prop betting.... but that has kept viewership pretty steady at a time when a severe market correction was expected.

We know this country loves the NFL... but would be willing to abandon it altogether over national anthem shenanigans. They're going to need to speed up all aspects of replay if they're looking to expand its usage.

likestohypeguy and Easy like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Rams held them to 13 points. They were not going to win the game 3-0.

I've already discussed the type of QB or lesser prolific offense that could actually "surprise" them. The Falcons gameplan was rolling... till adjustments happened. No coach is "perfect"... but do you honestly think he couldn't scheme the hell out of any supposed great offense in the history of the NFL?

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They're not as long, less people watch, less advertisers pay money to show commercials for them, and people pay less money to go to their games.

The main driving factors the NFL cares about is how much they can get for their TV packages (which is driven by advertising dollars, which is driven by ratings), and whether or not fans are willing to pay top dollar for season tickets (or simply to go to individual games).

Both of those latter factors are seemingly in flux... to the point that the next NFL package that goes up for grabs may end up on a amazon-type platform as OTA networks are still mired in the on-again/off-again relationship with live sports.

10. Nook

Nook Member

There are only so many things McVay could do. The Rams play calling was largely dictated by a limited QB that allowed the Patriots to load up. Woods was doubles virtually the whole game. Pressure was good enough to force quick decisions by Goff and that doesn’t end well for the Rams. In the past the Rams could run the ball with Gurley III but he wasn’t the same player and Chung was watching them out of the back field for slants. They could have possibly ran some bubble screens perhaps but even then it isn’t going to be a large play.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Probably so... but with a limited or hurt Gurley (along with no Kupp), they were never going to be the same team. Thus, they really needed to add some wrinkles based on quick passes/slants that could possibly assist in opening up the running game, and then utilize play action.

Instead, they were trying play-action on first down that fooled nobody. They were consistently trying to get guys open on deep routes that Goff was never going to have time to let develop. They had similar problems in the Saints game as well, but the Saints defense was not as disciplined or as disruptive on the line.

In the end, McVay did what most coaches do when faced with injury... attempt to do the same thing, with different personnel that isn't as talented. I would have considered a total re-invent, but its tough in just 2 weeks.

12. likestohypeguy

In game broadcast replays don't increase the time between snaps, that stays the same. I like those. Tv to's otoh not at all.

Idc as much about outcomes, I'd rather my team lose and enjoy the ride/story more, warts , controversy and all.

I also enjoy people who take it so seriously, their reactions in the wake of controversy, even when outcomes are not what I wanted ... My priority is fun ride/good story >> happy /satisfying ending. Ik I'm in the minority on this, just clarifying my perspective. I'm the same way with movies, books, tv shows stories etc

#272 likestohypeguy, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Fair enough. Suit yourself.

I just hate to see wrong officiating determine the result in any sport. It doesn't matter if my team win or lose because of that. It just bugs me to no end knowing that the result was not legit.

To me, sports is different from movies or fictions in that the end of a game is determined by fair play of the players, not by some script writer. When that is not the case, I lose interest. Watching a movie or reading a novel is much more fun than watching a sport event that is nor fair.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Nook likes this.
  15. PhiSlammaJamma

The film industry introduced instant replay for a period of 2 weeks in 2014, but it didn't go well. And to this day most people never heard of it.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah..... he lost to the greatest football coach to ever live and was relying on a 3rd year QB that looks to the sideline to wash his ass.

There really isn't much shame in losing to Belichick at the peak of his powers.

Sajan and mikol13 like this.
  17. likestohypeguy

I would like to think so, but cannot completely, confidently disbelieve the possibility. Anyway the movie analogy was more about the most pleasant viewing experience than anything, I just hate when timing/flow grinds to a stop.

BTW "enjoying the people who get serious" etc. wasn't a lol'ing at the haters thing. I'm not above it, b/c I get mad too, part of the fun, just really do sincerely enjoy hearing all the passionate debate afterwards, the screamers on radio and tv, invested fan bases. I'm the demo, reason why 1st takes first shows exist (apologies!)

To me officiating is just part of the story, among completely random and unpredictable hazards, like weather, coin flips, un/favorable bounces etc. both sides deal with, you don't always know whether will work in your favor... we just get mad at officiating vs. those, because of the human element. seems like it's not as random.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

lol at Kerr.
    He probably thinks he is on Belichick's level.