1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel House declines Rockets contract offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

that greenhouse effect lineup was lethal.. gonna miss it

radiohunk, jcf and don grahamleone like this.
  2. Vivi

Vivi Member

I mean, considering his career so far and the fact that he's almost 26, not sure why a 3 year guaranteed deal shouldn't be considered an ok if not good offer.

#362 Vivi, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    roslolian and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

If this guy wants the Rockets to deplete the rest of the MLE on him i think he's delusional and might end up like D.Mo...

Perfect situation for him here, plays for his hometown team, with a player like Harden, earned a starting spot...all of this after he has been a nobody for years...and suddenly he pretends to get the best contract he can get like he has shown some great upside...eh, whatever.

#363 Vivi, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    roslolian, hakeem94 and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Wallace thought he would get 3 years/9mil. The offer sheet he got was 2 years/3mil ....the minimum. These guys are over valuing a small sample size. When u have bounced around the league...u are not getting big money.

5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Daryl Morey might punish Daniel House Jr. by toiling away in the G League the rest of his career.
    I am curious of what other Great Passer like James Harden is out there to play with.
    His Agent is ruining his career, a really bad advisor. Danuel doesn't seem to think for himself.

hakeem94 and don grahamleone like this.
  6. 1Deep

1Deep Member

This **** is crazy!

House's agent obviously thought he had the Rockets bent over a barrel.

Hurting this kid's future for a better commission check. Smh.

shvedsucks, rockets1995 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

What a bummer. He's either not happy playing in Houston, or he's delusional enough to think that he will pull a hefty contract during RFA.

I like the kid a lot, and can't blame him for trying his best to secure a decent contract, but seriously: come the **** on. He has played well for what we've asked him to do, which isn't much. He is getting wide open looks due to the MVP being on an absolutely historic run of offensive dominance. James has opposing team's defenses scrambling to contain him more than ever.

I'll admit that House has been shooting well, but again, that seems to come with the luxury of taking good, open shots, largely made possible by Harden. I'd point to Ariza and PJ Tucker's corner 3pt%, and how Austin Rivers is now shooting 40% from 3 since joining the team, as only a few obvious examples of how Harden just makes his teammates better.

We've all seen this before. Omer Asik getting some ridiculous contract in New Orleans. Terrence Jones refusing an extension with us when he had the opportunity to sign one. Chandler Parsons thinking he's Larry Bird. Need I say more? Role players sure seem to catch a big head while they feast on all of the wide open layups, the clear lanes to cut and slash into, the unobscured looks at the rim from prime 3 point shooting zones, and the fact that they're playing against defenders all scrambling in concert in attempt to simply slow down one man that's definitely not them.

I hope Danuel and his agent come to their senses, or that a compromise can be made. We need him, but not as badly as he thinks.

IvanLCPM, JVL713, shvedsucks and 3 others like this.
  8. anchel

anchel Member

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Put yourself in his shoes. He's already guaranteed himself a minimum contract from someone this summer. Teams will see that he was a perfectly capable rotation player on an average contender and the only reason that didn't continue is because we shelved him.

Why should he lock himself into 3 years at the minimum? Does he seem like the kind of personality who is going to be satisfied with middling out? He's worked his whole career to be able to show this, and now he's going to lock himself into short term slavery? Let's say he gets 2 minimum contracts in those 3 years. He'll have passed up $1.5m over 3 years and can still probably play overseas and get 10-days etc. However, if he ends this season as a high energy guy who can hit the 3 even at 36% and drive to the rim on hard close outs - he could very well make $10m+ over those 3 years. He's be giving up north of $6m. It's precisely his competitive drive that brought him here, and any competitor would bet on themselves.

Team-friendly deal makes sense for Clark. House would have accepted that deal literally any time before starting. It so happens he showed more than they were expecting. Instead of rewarding that, the front office is punishing it - something I find abhorrent personally. The Rockets can't sit here and act like anyone can do what House dis and that our season isn't heavily influenced by what we can get out of the forward position. At the same time, we MIGHT be able to find someone to fill that spot even though it's far from a sure thing. All House has to do is kill it in G-League and he will earn more than what we're offering him. He knows we can offer him 2 years and have his early bird rights to give him a raise at the end of those years. The Rockets have themselves in this spot because we have $20m in non-performing contracts and instead of trading picks to fix that, they are taking it out of the pockets of hard working young guys.

3 years locked into the minimum goes past the team-friendly zone and into the player-abuse zone. By my estimation, House's production is worth $6m. If we can get him on a 2 year deal where our 2019 combined salary and luxury tax exposure is in the $6m range, we should not be pinching pennies like this. The team will be professional and say business is business, but every player on this roster has watched him leave it on the floor in the most desperate of times and exceed expectations. This is a far worse precedent to set than converting a 2-way contract in one exceptional circumstance.

joshuaao, heypartner and Os Trigonum like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

God damn, I wish I can lock my self into some 3 year 4.1 million dollars for playing basketball slavery.

SLAVE ME UP!

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You can go ahead a lock yourself into a guaranteed 3 year minimum wage job where you can't quit and they can also trade you to any other company that does the same thing in any other city. That's what this is for House!

Slavery is based on your potential. If you are in the top 300 people who can do a profitable thing, you would call it slavery too.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

LOL

No, it's not. This is 4.1 mill for playing basketball were talking about here. I was kidding man, House has the right to negotiate his contract and take whatever risk he wants, but still, terrible response lmao.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

@Mathloom didn't we also offer a one and two year deal? If so, he could've sign one of those and bet on himself as a RFA next summer, i think the Rockets would be ok with that outcome too.

14. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

If house wants more than 4M, let him go

shvedsucks, jcf and jcmoon like this.
  15. fattz

fattz Member

Negotiations are not what he does best the flip side of this is Paul and Anderson. He seems to give way to much and can’t say no.

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

His agent said they offered only 3 years IIRC. First not fully guaranteed. The final offer was 3 years guaranteed.

The 3 years thing is insulting. Rockets essentially want a free year out of him when he's 28 years old. Downright ridiculous.

What is the likelihood a buyout candidate better than House will break free AND we will secure that person? Unless there's some tampering f*ckery going on (i.e. there's someone they know they will get), it would be absurd to bet on that.

I doubt House turns down 2 years guaranteed at the minimum. Means that we can re-sign him without MLE in summer 2020 and he can get offers and in the meantime has some semblance of security. House would be very reasonable to believe he can earn $6m in 2020-2021 now that he's tested himself against NBA competition. Most posters here were talking about him that way and I'm not even a giant fan of his potential.

joshuaao likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Spoilered because off topic.

No brother, you are assuming the average person's potential is the same as House's. The NBA minimum to him is the same as the minimum wage to an average person. He is in the top 300 in the NBA (and possibly the world) at what he does AND what he does is part of a highly profitable product.

To put it in an example, Steve Jobs locked into minimum wage is more slave-like than a person who doesn't give a F about working being locked into that same contract. Slavery is about limiting human potential. I think you're referring to a early 1900's definition of slavery that preceded our current knowledge of what slavery destroys.

A subject for another forum though.

18. watashi315

watashi315 Member

What people don't understand is that regardless of what you do in your profession (sports, gaming, writer, p*rn, engineer, finance, etc), there is an expiration date. We can usually work 30+ years at a desk job, so you have steady income and benefits for that long. Athletes average career is only 2-3 years. So in 2-3 years, you have to make enough money to last you for 40-50 years assuming you live till 70-80 years of age? That's not a lot if you factor taxes and healthcare costs. Furthermore, professional sports may be a game but it's business. The amount of revenue and jobs created (TV, internet, merchandise, gaming, betting, etc) is no joke. These pro players grew up knowing only one thing and that's to play ball. Their future beyond basketball is usually uncertain and bleak. Please consider these factors before you make a glib comment like I'd take 4 million just to play a game.

calurker and daywalker02 like this.
  19. jdjd

jdjd Member

The thing House has to consider, if he hasn't already is the fact that Eric Gordon will be back soon to take over the 3 again, so while we might be stuck for a little while, it won't hurt long.

In the meantime, Morey will find some overseas or unknown guy to stand in the corner and shoot open 3's. We'll miss his 3's, but Gary Clark has been showing some signs of coming alive again.

House has been nice, but if we can possibly get a veteran that we know for sure that D'Antoni won't mind playing in the playoffs (ie a Morris brother), than it will all be worth it, and we'll all be saying Danuel who?

The advantage Morey has over House and his agent, is the fact that he has GM friends and knows exactly what other teams are thinking about House and what they might offer. If he knows there's not a ridiculously high demand, than why not wait?

We still have House here in the G league in case of emergencies and can convert him later. It's not slavery, it's good business sense on a team with championship visions.

At 25 House isn't exactly a 22 y/o prospect that teams are beating down the door over, and most teams know or seem to think (in my opinion) that the majority of his success comes from Harden.

shvedsucks, jcmoon and seemoreroyals like this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I understand all that. It's 4 million to just play a game.

These guys are extraordinarily talented, and they are paid HANDSOMELY, and that's great because a lot of guys in the NBA would never have opportunities to create this kind of wealth we're talking about otherwise.

I don't know why you're responding to this as if I don't know what life entails. Lifes hard for the vast majority of people. Any player who gets a single guaranteed contract is very blessed in my eyes as a person who's close to the bottom of the American economic ladder. It's not slavery, and that comment was absolutely laughable, I wasn't saying House should except the contract he was offered either lol, look back one page and you'll see I said we should use our MLE on him because he's earned it.

No dude, sorry but you're being damn silly. It's not slavery in any form no matter what analogies you try to pull out. House is a human being, 4.1 mill isn't the same as the minimum wage for another human being, it's the same as 4.1 million for a human being. It's not slavery he's willfully signing contracts to work. Jeez...

jcmoon likes this.