1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(TV) Vikings !

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Apr 8, 2013.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Season 5!

Caesar likes this.
  2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If season 5B doesn't start until the last of November, season 6 probably won't finish until 2020.

I think it's crazy how they are stretching this out.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Anyone tired of Floki's storyline?

He needs to come back into the fight or let the character die off.

DD

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is likely that the producers thought the settlement of Iceland (Floki is the leader of the expedition) is relevant to the history part of the drama.

The Icelandic viking nation is small and pretty resilient even to this day. (Soccer for example)

#104 daywalker02, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://www.cinemablend.com/televis...ancelled-by-history-but-theres-some-good-news

6. DaDakota

Why did they cancel? It does seem the story has run most of it's course........maybe that is why, I am still a religous watcher though and want Ivar to get his comeuppance.

DD

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Losing Ecbert and Ragnar was just too much high-end acting power to lose.

8. DaDakota

This is true, their storyline was magnificent. And now we lose the Bishop......all the best characters...dang it.....we still have Bjorn and Lagatha though.....

DD

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. DaDakota

Holy HAND Grenades it is back with a Vengence, the first 2 episodes, so many new interesting characters - I thought it would die off with Ragnar, but nope it is honestly amazing still.

Anyone else still watching in 2019?

DD

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I couldn't bare season 4 without Ecbert/Ragnar. Really killed me to watch it. Perhaps I will jump back on though since you are saying it's groovy.

11. DaDakota

Wow that funeral - 2 episodes left.

DD

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Oh Lagertha.

DaDakota likes this.
  13. DaDakota

[​IMG]

Indeed.

DD

Xerobull and daywalker02 like this.
  14. JW86

JW86 Member

Just watched all seasons over the last few months and have to say: first 3 seasons were great! Last 3, not so much and it got increasingly worse. This was one of those shows that either should've had better writing or just stopped after a 4th season where they could've had this end, but gotten their quicker for all I care. This just dragged on for way too long and they got up to 20 episodes per season, which also was totally unnecessary. Should've had that many when it was still great.

Though length was not necessarily the problem as my main issues with it are:
    - Mythology use or lack thereof, especially once key characters died.
    - Ragnar's legacy, especially Ivar's sudden rise to prominence and the end of Bjorn's.
    - Floki's story after Ragnar died, so happy he got a great conclusion though.

But the biggest one is probably how there are many parts of the story, certain characters and relationships that either just vanished, didn't come to a conclusion, was left unexplained and too many seemingly important parts or characters just turned out to be insignificant, people just died / were killed, or certain side characters got way too much screen time - probably due to the 20 episodes - that felt forced. Some story lines that had potential to be great, like the oriental women who gave Ragnar drugs as they hinted at her being there for a reason, just ended like that.

Or others that were presented as signifcant, but in the end had little effect on the rest of the plot. Take that mythological figure who was thought to be a god and Ragnar's second wife was entranced by him, eventually slept with him when he came back. So he just stopped coming back, yet we still don't know who he was.

It was a decent show overall, I enjoyed the first 3 seasons, and the latter 3 had their moments, but the killing off of every important character just felt wrong. Once Bjorn died I stopped caring and sorry but that anyone really care for Ivar crying at the end there? I get it, in the end he was a scared child who was told he was supposed to be great by his father, but he took the cruel so far that no way I could have any sympathy for him. I understand, but it just didn't feel connected like that. For a show about Vikings it sure ended differently than expected. I almost felt like it was supposed to sell us on Christianity and the good, superior nature of the one Christian guy as well as the native Americans in the new world.

I only liked it because of the last scene with Floki and how each part so the two sons of Ragnar and the ruler of Kattegat were all symbolic for Ragnar's sides: the viking (Ubbe), the christian (Hvitserk) and the ruler of his native land Kattegat (eventually his grandson, son of Bjorn). Though the latter they should've at least let us know if it was actually Bjorn's son. Unless the rule was supposed to be a carrying on of Lagertha's legacy as a female ruler.

The actor who played Floki deserves major praise! Cannot believe he didn’t win anything for his role in this.

#114 JW86, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    dmoneybangbang and Xerobull like this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

I may finish it, but the first 3/4 seasons were truly GOAT. King Ecbert, Athelstan, and Ragnar really made the show IMO.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My wife and I have been working our way through this show for a couple of months and are almost done with season 4. Great show.