1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Deadline Move....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T. Will tha Don, Jan 9, 2019.

1. T. Will tha Don

Rockets are his childhood favorite team, he and Beard are tight, CP3 fits his mindset, and whether Houston fans like it or not he has touchedby God measurements and intangibles. We have to jump sometimes instead of going with the safe choir boy all the time. I dont know anyone who wouldnt want old school MAD MAX or RODMAN on their team but hated playing against them. They only had problems when their teams didnt give it all EVERY night.

Smacktle likes this.
  2. Vivi

Vivi Member

@ApacheWarrior yep, Kings are the only team with significant cap space left (aroun 11M i think), McLemore for Knight should work straight up, but they're not going to eat 15M for the next season unless they get something very good back, and i seriously doubt that a 1st rounder would be enough...

Smacktle, saleem and ApacheWarrior like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Maybe. Maybe 1st and a 2nd? I’m hoping the Kanter move is a prelude to a move of bringing in Melo as PF (Z-Bo out) and Kanter $18 million is an expiring contract. Trade off for adding Knight.

Their PG’s are: Fox (1 season), Yogi Ferrell (2 seasons), and Frank Mason (1 season)....pretty raw for a team
    that wants to get into the playoffs. Knight could make some big strides by April.

Kanter is 35% from 3; which would allow Melo to operate in the post. Albeit on only 20 shots. Just a thought.
    I’m probably way off base. That’s ok....life goes on either way.

Vivi likes this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

I just don't see them do it for a late 1st, 1st and 2nd...not sure, don't think there's a big difference tbh. I think two 1st is what they might want, but that's a lot to give up imo...

As for the PG's eh, you have to consider that at least Fox is pretty great, personally, i like Mason too, but the main problem here is that Knight just has no value...i mean, even if we would agree that Fox is decent and Mason is meh, it's not like we can say "Knight would make them better", i wish we could but...

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well I’ve said Knight needs at least 10 games to knock off some rust....well he has played 11 games
    and doesn’t look bad against the lowly Cavs tonight. He has 6 pts in 6 mins at the moment. In his
    last 4 games minus tonight he is averaging 3.8 pts in 9.5 mins a game. Projected 36 mins is
    14.4 pts per game. Of course tonight would be 36 pts in 36 mins so far. Lol. Point is he might be
    trade worthy by the end of January.

People also told me it would take 4 first round picks to move Ryan Anderson...all it took was Melton.
    Paul George was suppose to take a ton of first round picks prior to being traded to the Thunder. Many of the players I’m talking about in the 3-team deal are expiring contracts....teams know they won’t get more than 2nd round picks for them.

I could see the King’s turning around and trading Melo to the Lakers for possibly Beasley and another
    player if Melo refuses to play for them. Get another second rd pick from the Lakers.

Kings probably know that free agents don’t go there. I’m high on Fox, but he has to rest some time.
    Kings could use all these picks of 1st’s and 2nd’s to move up in the draft. Just an idea.

#85 ApacheWarrior, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

We have basically still one month to see how much he can rise his value, i won't get my hopes up but who knows...in the end it would be good for the guy and for us too. It's just that there are soo many PG's available out there, just think about guys like Rozier, Dinwiddie/Russell, Fultz, Lou, Beverley, Dennis Smith, Rondo (i guess), Teague/Rose, Schroder...probably others, that i just don't see a team taking back Knight when he's the worst of the group and the one with the worst contract (outside of Schroder, maybe).

As for Anderson you sure you're not confusing the 4 picks required with the Bulter thing? Cause even two years ago, when Ryan still had three years left there were rumors about the Kings asking two 1st rounders to eat his contract, never heard about four personally. Regardless, consider that we didnìt move a 1st rounder in the trade with the Suns mainly cause we took back Knight which was another bad contract, if the would've traded us Dudley instead, we would've been forced to trade a 1st too i think.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Knight is really looking better tonight. That was an outstanding play going the length of the court and finding Green in time for a buzzer beating 3. We might actually end up glad that we have him. It also increases his potential value in a deal. A win either way, but we really need quality play from the backup point spot. Rivers, who I'm really beginning to like a lot, is more of a swing man with handles and some passing than a pure point that can score, which might better describe Knight, in my opinion. We've needed both and "poof!" Here they are. Maybe. Is that too optimistic?

Smacktle, Y2JT, Invisible Fan and 2 others like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

EGo with inadvertant photo bomb. LOL

saleem, BamBam, Amel and 2 others like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure what they're laughing about, but maybe AD would enjoy laughing in Houston someday, playing for a ring.

Not for that deal,of course! :confused:

Smacktle, mikol13 and D-rock like this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No, majority of members here told we didn’t have enough 1st’s to ever move Ryan Anderson
    (when I suggested 2 1st’s in the past. So I tend not to judge picks from CF’ers. Gary Clark was undrafted and Melton
    was a second rounder. I agree, we just have to wait and see.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think that was just a way to say that Ryan's value was just so bad that maybe even with two 1st rounders (which is what Zach Lowe reported at the time when we tried to trade him to Sacramento) we were not going to get it done so, maybe who said that to you was not exactly accurate or maybe kinda joking. Reagardless yep, just wait and see ;)

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I counted 13 games until Feb 6th, but i was swiping page after page of the schedule. So let’s say approx 13 games until the Feb 7th trading deadline. He scored about 10 points in 14 mins with about 3 mins left.

Take care Vivi

Vivi likes this.
  13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I understand where you're coming from and agree with most of it.

But that last comment..

There's absolutely no way Jimmy would sit idly by with some of what James does on the defensive end.

14. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I think we should go for the title and get butler. If we resign him we extend our window. Other West teams are getting better. If the Spurs get someone like Porzingis their gonna be tough to beat. The clippers could get kd & kawhi.

I think Brandon Knight has proven to be a somewhat tradable asset.

15. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

need a stud rebounder!

D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  16. kiwirocketsfan

Enes Kan’t err defend??

saleem likes this.
  17. Fansince80

Fansince80 Member

What a loser

18. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

You always post this crap and it is always wrong. If the Rockets wanted cap relief from Knight they would have done it already. The Rockets need to improve their team and that contract with picks is the only way other than buyouts. How many times do you have to hear this? This is just like the talk of downgrading Gordon. All of a sudden we go out and sign CP3 and Capela and some of you think that translates to the team needing to dump everyone else. It's not happening. The Rockets will get cap relief where possible but have only done small things. Doing a 5 for 1 or 5 for 2 trade is very difficult because of empty roster spots. Likely, between Knight, Chriss, and Melo the Rockets have the salaries to do whatever they need to in trade. MCW was moved because of a deadline guaranteeing his salary. BTW no one is giving the Grizzlies a 1st for Portions. They are going to be in a more miserable hell than we were with Ryno. Portions is going to collect those checks and then be out of the NBA. He was only ever about the money.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I guess you like crappy threads cluttering up the GARM.

Smacktle and raining threes like this.
  20. BigBum

BigBum Member

This deal would save Tilman $5.7 million dollars this season and save big tax next year.
    Rockets land JR Smith, Hood
    Cavs land Knight, Chriss, Meo, 2 top-20 protected picks
    Would you take this trade if Cavs demand it?

Then use Knight salary to sign Rivers and House in summer. It seems that House's agent wants House to join bid market in July.

It's not a good idea to Keep Knight, Chriss and Melo in the book and pay luxury taxes for them.

#100 BigBum, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019