1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

80's movies were reeeaaaal rapey...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 10, 2019.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The best thing about film is how it's a time capsule of society at its given moment.

That's what make the medium magical. You can actually travel back in time and experience the past in all it's glory even if some of that is kinda cringeworthy. Relax @Roscoe Arbuckle, I don't think people want Revenge of the Nerds banned. They just recognize how far society has come. I mean Birth of a Nation is considered a classic and no one is going to defend the KKK in 2019.

Nothing wrong with reflection.

Joshfast, Xerobull and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't think anyone in this thread is actually offended....

Just pointing out how ironic it is that (parts of) these harmless movies we all grew up on are actually kind of racy. That's it.

Xerobull and conquistador#11 like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

Go back a little further and you'll see countless examples of men "winning arguments" with women by simply smacking the **** out of them. Times change.

4. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Eh, I don't agree that Deckard is the worst, or even that Deckard is all that bad; but that's why there's chocolate and vanilla.

Oh, and to you anti-Bobby posters, who thought we were the same person; and wondered where we disagreed -- here's an example. :D

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the different of opinion is that I never watched Blade Runner back when it came out as many others did. I watched it for the first time a few years back and perhaps that's why I view it differently. Deckard was essentially a "Jew hunter" for replicants and not knowing any better, that's what I thought the film was going for.....then we came to the rape scene and I was pretty shocked that there were parts of the movie that tried to play Deckard as a good guy. When you have a woman who is the type of thing the guy hunts down and murders for a living who attempts to run away from that monster when he sexually harrasses her only to have him chase her down and prevent her from leaving. After that there is an implied threat of violence as he slams her against the wall and commands her to say that she wants him to do different things to her.....I'm sorry that's just creepy as hell and is absolutely NOT a "love" scene....it's a rape scene.

Deckard is absolutely the worst, he's a rapist and a murderer with no redeeming qualities.

6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

There's a really excellent argument against this view somewhere on the net, I'll have to chase it down later.

But we all know that Rachel really wanted to get with Decker. Why else did she go to his apartment? :D

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

She was rattled and confused after saving Deckard's life while he was murdering her kind. She also was trying to cope with the fact that she recently found out that she was a replicant and her whole life was a lie. She was hoping he'd have answers. Everything was fine until Deckard woke up from a drunken stupor and tried to force himself on her, that's when she tried to run away and he prevented her from doing so before forcing himself on her while she cried.

Someone entering your apartment isn't consent. Deckard is the villain of that story and her eventual development of Stockholm syndrome doesn't make it any better. I was outright pissed when Roy decided to save Deckard's life despite everything.

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I watch Frasier a lot, it’s like a comfort show I can just put on so I’ve seen the entire series like 50 times. Every couple of shows something happens that I can’t imagine today’s social media would let slide and it’s just a 90’s sitcom.

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

Meh. To be fair, I made a fun "Ritchie" picture back in the day.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Hey! I've seen the entire series probably 10 times but yeah, when bulldog keeps grabbing and kissing Roz. That show is totally rapey. So is News Radio.

11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Roz is also something of a progressive character, a single, promiscuous, successful mother. Not sure that had been done before early 90s.

There’s an episode where he photographs his date asleep in bed because she’s a model and he wants proof. He manages to collapse pantsless on an attractive patient as a therapist. He peeps on daphne. It goes on haha

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, I remember the chick was leaving to study iguanas or something. Great episode.

13. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Leave it to Blade Runner to continue to draw out endless debates, but suffice it to say: I disagree.

First, I don't view Deckard as a villain. His boss pretty much says that if he (Deckard) doesn't kill the replicants, then he himself (Deckard) will be killed. From that, you can take Deckard off the hook for shooting women/replicants in the back etc.

Here's the quote I was thinking of:

"As for raping Rachel; eye of the beholder and/or biased in favor of the politically correct interpretation of the day. Yes, he slams the door and pushes her away from it towards the blinds, preventing her from leaving. Bear in mind, though, he knows exactly what's waiting for her if she steps outside that door; she'll be hunted down and killed by another member of the Blade Runner unit. Stopping her from leaving the apartment, Deckard is saving her life.

Yes, he kisses her without explicit verbal consent. Yes, he coaches her in how to respond despite her objection that, "I can't rely on my...(trails off but sounds like "emotions"; suggesting her emotion at the moment is an attraction to Deckard). But he does not force himself upon her. It isn't until her uncoached and spontaneous entreaty of, "Put your hands on me", that he continues. If you want an unequivocal example of rape in cinema, go see "Irreversible". Then watch the scene between Deckard and Rachel; no comparison."

https://www.rogerebert.com/balder-and-dash/theres-something-about-blade-runner

By poster "John Doe"

And, can one "rape" a pleasure bot? A being whose has been purposefully designed and created for carnal relations? But I guess that's the kind of question that the film asks, but doesn't answer (in my view).

Deckard, in my view, is not a "villain." No, he isn't Indiana Jones or many other characters Harrison Ford has played. But that's the point of film noir -- none of the characters are lily white or pure.The link above goes into this point as well.

Slightly off topic: The interesting thing about the film's ending (or climax) is that Roy saves Decker, even though Decker was not lily white, even though Decker was trying to kill him. This suggests some interesting concepts about forgiveness and the value of life. (Last thought: Roy is not the hero or "pure" either; he's also a "villain." Again -- film noir -- nobody's pure.)

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Not from the 80s but Saturday Night Fever? You hear about it as an iconic pop culture film but I had no idea of the dark content this movie had. The rape scene near the end threw me off the loop. I was expecting just a movie with John Travolta dancing.

15. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think in the 80's "No" meant "Yes." "Yes," meant "I'm easy." And "Help! Someone help me!" meant "No."

[​IMG]

Xerobull likes this.