1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I will shut down the government. I will take that mantle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 11, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Remember when the WH claimed "fake news" when news media reported TSA sickouts?

2. NewRoxFan

It was documented and reported by the National Park Service...
    https://thehill.com/policy/energy-e...shua-tree-sparks-outrage-as-shutdown-drags-on

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How the Democrats can still lose the messaging war over the shutdown:

"Small-government Republicans have long insisted that federal workers do very little that's essential — that most are paper-pushers collecting larded up paychecks and absurdly generous benefits in return for loyalty to the Democratic Party (through both votes for Democratic candidates and union dues that reliably end up lining party coffers). Focusing on the suffering of these employees during the shutdown, however humane it might be, tacitly confirms this narrative by making it look like the primary concern of the Democratic Party is the plight of federal workers rather than the good of the country as a whole. That's politically perilous for Democrats.

"It would be far smarter for Democrats to focus on the important, and often essential, work these employees do. They aren't just mindless cogs in an impersonal, gargantuan machine spreading irritating regulations and pointless red tape as part of a political racket. They're doing the vitally important work of managing numerous aspects of our endlessly complex modern lives, providing essential services to tens of millions, and protecting ordinary Americans from a wide array of risks and hazards."
    exactly.

https://theweek.com/articles/816867/how-lose-shutdown-showdown

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You need to find and post an article that states how FOX News and its kind goaded Trump into shutting down the government, and how he has found the one reliable vote-getter for his racist, paranoid supporters, not to mention a perfect distraction from all the investigations that threaten his so-called Presidency.

Eric Riley, Nook, edwardc and 2 others like this.
  5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Whenever i read stories of people vandalising **** just for the hell of it, it immediately makes me think of California. So i google the park and it turns out that yes, it's California. Government must reopen to stop Californians from trashing everything.

Heck if it was Texas i'd expect stories of the place being left cleaner by the random visitors.

6. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Well you can look at Scott Gottlieb's twitter to get the info directly from the horse's mouth. He's the FDA commissioner. FDA is continuing inspections foreign and high risk domestic suppliers, but non-high risk domestic production inspection is halted, that is about 2/3 of food domestic food inspections.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

again . . . I'm fairly certain the EXACT QUOTE from Zezima is "no one is inspecting the nation's food supply during the shutdown, putting anyone who eats at risk".

I'm sorry, but does "no one" mean no one? or is there some special food inspection code here that I'm unaware of?

8. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Ah I pretty much ignored the twitter post and went right into the Wapo article. You're right that Zezima is full of **** that no one is inspecting food supply.

I was surprised that ANY of FDA food inspection service is non-essential. I manage a USDA inspected meat processing plant and all of USDA inspectors are considered essential. There are furloughed workers in HR and other roles, but inspectors are still showing up everyday like normal.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

You don't know Texas, then.
    The USDA and the FDA are 2 different entities. Meat inspections are deemed "essential", other food products are not, as I understand it.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

11. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

12. NewRoxFan

13. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

With a massive invasion ongoing, why aren’t we at defcon 3 yet?

14. NewRoxFan

Hmm, didn't the trump government shutdown start in December? Are we not on day 20? Didn't republicans still control the house when the trump government shutdown started?

No Worries likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

You would think with such a massive invasion force right outside our border we would have satellite shots on every news channel (especially fox).

[​IMG]

16. NewRoxFan

17. adoo

adoo Member

Chuck Schumer "He is having a temper tantrum"

to which, Nancy Pelosi retorted

",,,, I am a mother of five and a grandmother of ten,.....
    ........so, I know a temper tantrum when I see one.....​

18. NewRoxFan

So much for any pretense its over border security, or concern over the immigrants, or even the reason for the trump government shutdown (and any claim the Democrats in congress are responsible for trump's shutdown). The real reason... get the libs...

#598 NewRoxFan, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Cartoooooons!

20. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

We just set the record for longest shutdown! We did it guys!

FranchiseBlade likes this.