1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying / Selling Property in Mexico

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LongTimeFan, Jan 10, 2019.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Has anyone bought or sold property in Mexico recently?

I have a family member who asked for some guidance on them selling their condo in Cancun. I am not familiar with transactions in foreign countries, but I suspect a member or two here might have some knowledge about them.

From what I understand there are some quirks to it -- and there are no title companies there to make the process easy. Before someone asks, this is being sold to a Buyer who used to rent the property, so no agent involved.

2. The Law

The Law Member

It is my understanding that you cannot actually own a Mexican property as an American if it is in a restricted zone, which Cancun is being within 50km of the water.

It actually has to be brokered into a Real Estate Trust to hold the title for the buyer. Typically these trusts have to be renewed every 30-50 years.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have a close family member that owns a few hotels on the beach 40 minutes from Cancun. I’ve heard a few crazy stories about payoffs that had to be made to get certain things done. It sounded like a huge headache.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

My dog does the same thing. Won't even sit down unless I give her a bribe.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

have you tried an e-collar? ;)

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

That's a bad perro.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah if you're doing business in the Americas expect to bribe people. That's just how it works.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You do things for treats too.