1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Texans Head Coaching Prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rockets94-95, Jan 5, 2019.

1. csj

csj Member

You have a complete misunderstanding of sample size. As the sample size increases, schedule moves toward average, it can't be otherwise.

It was your usage of "talent" in your prior post that was independent of coaching or prior success. When viewed in that way, talent would also trend toward average as sample size increases.

It's not my "theory", it's just a basic understanding of math. You think that "large sample size" means longevity of a coach's career, but that's your failure. Sample size refers to the number of coaches.

Well, I'm not stupid enough to make your mistakes nor am I stupid enough to accept your strawmaning of my position. I never claimed that all coaches have average talent and schedule, I said that statistically, with a large enough coaching pool, talent and schedule average out, at least "talent" in the way you used it. This is trivially easy to understand and it proves your previous claims false.

2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

mike leach

3. Buck Turgidson

Has anybody actually said this or something reasonably close?

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Buck, I do not think that you said this fwiw.

We could start with the thread title ... 2019 Texans Head Coaching Prospects.

Page 7 example

I could go on but will not.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Woah woah woah. I posted that in response to all the other teams trying to find their Sean McVay. Not about Bill O Brien. Look at the post I was responding to. And my post was to point out how absurd that the newest coaching trend is following after a guy who has won one playoff game. Sorry, you're going to have to find another post to use for your example :)

6. No Worries

All Buck wanted was an example of a HC being let go if he did not reach/win the Super Bowl. So we are all good.

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

You guys know that Jay(nice) and Silent Cal are not upsetting dead daddy’s billion dollar Apple cart. Stop lying to yourselves. They care about the money. Not the team. Not you. Money.

The stadium is full. So too will they continue to ride a handful of star players into the turf, never solidify depth, never get past the first round. Bill O’Brien is here for 3 more years and theonly way he isn’t coach in 3 seasons is by apocalypse.

8. Buck Turgidson

I was just wondering if anybody in this thread actually said something along the lines of "no SB = fire BOB", because that's a pretty ridiculous point of view.

He's absolutely going to be on a hot-ass seat next year, as he should be: barring horrible luck with multiple injuries they have zero excuses. This is, I think, the biggest offseason in franchise history.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah the standard I'm going on is if I can't name anything the head coach does well and the team continues to show up for games unprepared and gets outcoached in seemingly every game along with failing to do any of the things a good coach does.....well then I'll call for that coach to be fired even if the team happened to make the playoffs only to be embarrassed in the first round.

I'd never use the "SB or fire everyone" standard, I don't think anyone would.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

The painful reality: the fans don't get to pick the coach. We can talk, but it is essentially hot air. BOB isn't going anywhere unfortunately. Opinions are fun though.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Which is why none of this really matters, the team can do whatever else they want in the off-season and it won't matter so long as BOB stays. This team isn't going anywhere with him at the helm.

solid likes this.
  12. solid

solid Contributing Member

Unless he delegates more, which is probably unlikely. Most fans want an OC and QB coach which would be great if he let them do their jobs. It is remotely possible that management demands he add staff.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If we could get him to delegate everything he does to other, more competent, people then the Texans would have a chance. We just can't have him in charge of clock management, or creating a playbook, or calling the offense, or being in charge of throwing the challenge flag, or deciding who to play, or who to draft, or who to go after in FA.

If we can bring in people to do all of that, then the Texans have a shot.

14. No Worries

There it is.

csj likes this.
  15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No dog in this fight but think you might be reading this the wrong way. Don't think they're saying Fire BoB because he hasn't won us a SB, it's more that they don't think he ultimately can so time to move on. The latter which I think is widely applied to coaches and players across all sports.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Even what you quoted isn't saying no SB = fire OB.

What @JayGoogle said was we've seen enough of B'Ob to know he's not going to get us there.

You might say, splitting hairs... but think about it from this perspective...
    If you know with 100% certainty your current coach won't ever get the team to the SB, SHOULDN'T that mean you should move on?

The splitting hairs is a timing thing here. No SB = fire OB... like no SB ever, or no SB this year so he should be fired, or no SB next year, so he should be fired. You've not provided enough info/thought.

Whereas others, like @JayGoogle have said, effectively, we don't think he's EVER going to get there.

And it's very hard to argue with that. The only counter I can even reasonably give is that B'Ob the coach MIGHT get there someday, but ALMOST CERTAINLY NOT with the Texans. See Kubiak.

With very very very few exceptions, SB coaches have gotten there within 5 years of taking on the job. Someone like Cowher is the exception.
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...ould-divorce-after-five-years-of-not-winning/

The move that might enable B'Ob to get there, imo, is what we all know. It's changing the way he's "run the process". Which means, as @Bobbythegreat clearly notes, get an OC, have an assistant head coach to help with clock management, whatever. Personally, I think just getting the OC would be a crazy crazy crazy improvement. The frustrating part here, is that it implies nothing for B'Ob. It doesn't make him a worse coach because he can't call plays. Heck, it makes him better. It doesn't mean he's more likely to be fired if it goes wrong... it probably gives him a valid excuse if anything. Etc, etc.

Just super stupidly stubborn. But that's kind of what's defined him as a coach. He CAN coach, but is too stubborn to see that he has too much on his plate, or to change his ways, etc. As a result, he hasn't improved as a coach in any way.

I anticipate very few changes next year... EXCEPT to the talent. Hopefully, they improve the talent. That said, that's always tricky, too. I can easily see the offense taking a step forward with an improved o-line and finally fully healthy year of talent positions, but the defense taking a step back. But I don't think the coaching will change. Which is not a good sign. It's very hard to see the Colts getting worse, injuries aside. And the Titans are right there very close. And as much as the Jags sucked this year, they're still just an average QB away from being a potential division contender.

And with all that, the Texans have, on paper, a very hard schedule.

JayGoogle likes this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

The musical chairs continue

18. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

the texans need to get get an OC , even a new DC would be nice

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

[​IMG]

20. J.R.

J.R. Member