1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2018-19

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 7, 2018.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

One of these two guys should be our primairy targets, i think i would give up a pick for MGK, thats how good I think he could make us, we need an impact defender and we need one now.

baller4life315 likes this.
  2. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I mentioned RHJ a while ago. Yes, there are some similarities to MKG, but I believe he can become a 30-35 percent three point shooter with more experience. I would offer Ennis and a 2nd for him. I wouldn't go after MKG.

I would be satisfied with James Johnson with Knight/ Hart and a low 1st rounder.

Addendum: I thought RHJ was shooting 3's at 27 percent instead of 24. I still think his form is better than MKG. Perhaps RHJ could reach 30 percent from the three point line in a couple of years. I would like him without having to giving up a 1st round pick. I don't want to give a 1st rounder for the more experienced MKG.

#943 saleem, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Help Indy get Love?

IND IN: Love
    HOU IN: JR, Hood and O’quinn
    CLE IN: Thad, Melo, Knight, Chriss and some picks (idk what it takes, maybe a first from each team?)

What do y’all think?

jb86 likes this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Love says he can't even run yet. I don't know if he's on anyone's radar.

6. mario elie

mario elie Member

I'd love to get Marcus Morris from Boston. This seems topical since he got into a fight with Brown on the sidelines last night. Either of the Morris brothers would be a perfect fit with this team.

basketballholic likes this.
  7. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Jeremy Lin is putting up great numbers coming off the bench in Atlanta.

Knight and a first for Lin
    Gordon for Taj Gibson

Atlanta gets another pick. Minnesota gets someone who can score off their bench.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

So you are moving Tucker and asking Gordon to log all the minutes he has with little bench help at his spot … Brilliant.

Turrubul idea.

9. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Besides injuries, our biggest issue is rebounding right now. I’ve been reading through all of trade suggestions in multiple threads, so it got me to thinking about this idea.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ycp66skw

At this point I don’t know if our dream 6’9, sharp shooting, 3 and D wing is realistic. I’m not a huge Bazemore guy but he would be adequate to replace EG’s production on both ends. He even upgrades him as a 3 point shooter.

We have to get better rebounding. This deal helps all 3 teams.

ATLANTA out: Bazemore, Dedmond
    Atlanta in: Knight, Chriss, Temple. 2 firsts 1 second from Houston. Protected first, OR Second from Memphis.

Atlanta gets to go into full tank mode. They can “Tank for Zion” lol. Collins, Trae Young, and the possibility of Zion should make them salivate. They get to keep Prince as well.

Memphis out Temple, Green, protected 1st OR second round pick.
    Memphis in: EG, Melo, Nene

Memphis needs shooting. EG is a perfect fit for them at the 2. He can provided the shooting and driving they need, as well as the defense that they demand. Melo could back up Jackson at the 4. Melo provides them with even more shooting off the bench.
    Nene also fits fits their grit and grind defensive system, and gives them another savvy vet off the bench.

Houston out: EG, BK, Melo, Chriss, Nene, 2 firsts, second.
    Houston in: Bazemore, Dedmond, J Green

I want a 6’9 freak at the 3 just like most people, but if we can’t get one and we HAVE to trade EG I would rather replace him and get some rebounding at this point. If we are going to start EG at the 3, then why not Bazemore at 6’5?

J Green provides the switching defense, and rebounding that we desperately need off the bench. When healthy he he had shot the 3 surprisingly well. Over 39% this year and over 37% in 16-17. Last year he only played in about 55 games and shot 34%. I think Green’s ability to switch and rebound would make him a valuable role player off the bench.

Dedmond provides everything we need to back up Clint. 7’0 guy who can finish, defend, and can be a rebounding monster. He’s even starting to shoot the 3. 35% on nearly 3 attempts per game ain’t too shabby.

Bazemore, Green, and Dedmond are not sexy names, but they fit what we need. I like “Goons” as long as they can shoot and play with IQ. Green and Dedmond gives us two goons to add to PJ, and most importantly rebounding.

We could adjust what picks we include.

Cp/ Rivers
    Harden/GG
    Bazemore/ House/ Ennis
    Tuck/ J Green
    Clint/ Dedmond

I didn’t mean for this post to be this long lol. I’m off today and just plotting ways we could win it this year.

10. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

What about Brandon Knight, Criss, Melo, and 4 first round picks for Mystery Superstar X?

I'm half joking, but if Rockets were willing to offer salary filler plus four picks for Butler to go "all in", is it possible that a) Rockets still would make that offer for the right star, and b) another team stuck in the middle is thinking to themselves, I wonder if that package is still open for my guy, then I can start the tank in earnest...

The Candidates:

Blake Griffin
    Pros:
    Besides the high comedy of reuniting the Clipper team that lost to the Rockets? Gives Rockets a big who can create offense, which they haven't had, a great small ball center option, relieve PJ Tucker's workload, good passer.
    Cons: Would require Gordon to make it work, not sure about fit with Capela in terms of spacing, defensive downgrade, injury risk, albatross contract that also could age badly. Little bit of a malcontent, seems to dislike personally several rockets players (but hey, if Rivers can work here, anyone can, right?)

Aaron Gordon
    Pros:
    Relatively young compared to other "stars", gives Rockets another athlete, could play small ball center for D'Antoni,
    Cons: doesn't shoot as well as you'd like, inconsistent, still a little bit of a hypothetical, not a great shooter, might not be worth 4 first round picks (but perhaps throw in Gordon and get Vucevic too?)

Harrison Barnes
    Pros:
    Another swingman that could maybe play small ball center, shooting 40% from three, has developed one-on-one game, still only 26.
    Cons: Is he a star? Does he still wither under pressure? Unclear if available, most likely not but if Mavs keep losing you can make an argument that they should be looking to unload him to find players more on Doncic's timeline. Mavs never seemed to value picks though, other than last year.

Tobias Harris
    Pros:
    Yet another swingman who can play big (see a theme here? I don't hate PJ, he just needs help), could play small ball center for D'Antoni, can create, gets better every year.
    Cons: big risk for a free agent this summer, would be hard to stomach mortgaging future for half a season of Harris. Not quite the defender you'd hope to get back.

Bradley Beal
    Pros:
    Relatively young compared to other "stars", a true star who might be even better than advertised once free of Wizards, genuinely hard worker who appears to want to win.
    Cons: There's a limit to how many guards you can put on the roster right? Playing Harden, CP3, Beal, and Gordon together is crazy even for D'Antoni (right?). Probably not available, somewhat of an injury risk.

Marc Gasol
    Pros:
    Finally, right? Big center who can pass, shoot from anywhere, and has a history of playing good defense. Could be worth it just as a counter to Cousins in the playoffs, or any other team that uses its size well against Houston.
    Cons: Is he old or lazy? Is he going to complain shooting spot up 3s? How does he fit in this offense? Grizzlies seems to be weirdly going for it this season.

Andrew Wiggins
    Pros
    : Just 23, would fit right into starter SF spot, has the tools to play lockdown defense, contribute offensively and develop into incredible third option.
    Cons: is he any good? lol. Can't shoot threes or pass, still unclear if he's lazy on incapable on defense. Show's flashes, but....this probably isn't a good move. Minny probably wouldn't do this, but could be a genius move for their side. They would get cap space to build around KAT, RoCo, Rose (I guess), and still have four extra picks to keep influx of young talent or to trade away to bolster roster. One or two could even be used to move Dieng's terrible contract and get the books completely clean. Begs the question, if its so great for Minny, can't be good for Rockets...

seeingred and clutchdabear like this.
  11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Honestly, not the worst trade idea I’ve seen. At first I thought it would be ridiculous and make no sense with Atlanta; and they won’t be going into tank mode, they’re already there. But with the picks it’s alright for them.

Memphis do love EG, and wanted him the summer we signed him. But please don’t talk about Melo being a piece that would add something for them. You know he’s not playing for them :) call him a salary filler and move on

I would actually have to say it may not be a good idea for us. We’re bringing in a lot of new players, and we’re giving up picks that are the few assets we have. We’re also giving up the best player in the deal. You definitely secured our front court nicely, but our backcourt just got shot. Too risky. You don’t want to go into the playoffs saying “As long as Austin Rivers shows up”.

BaselineFade likes this.
  12. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Depending on if Rivers shows up is a bit concerning. I think that giving up this many second chance shots and points will cost us some crucial playoff games as well. I would hope that another back up guard would come come available via buy out, a future second or whatever. We still need help at the 3 as well as the 4/5. EG unfortunately is the only player we can move can net us help at multiple positions of need.

Memphis is starting to fade. Maybe Melo could help livin things up a bit. At least that’s what I hope Morey is still selling ;).

13. jonasXV

jonasXV Member

The Rockets really needs a rebounder/big/another shooter. After consulting my sources (NBA.com) I saw this one obtainable player.

Noah Vonleh. Long, Good rebounder, 40% 3 point shooter. Min salary!!

I know Harden humiliated him last season (one on one) so I don't really know if he can do the switch defense scheme that the Rockets use but he is a guy that can actually help us right away and very obtainable.

ApacheWarrior and BaselineFade like this.
  14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I think maybe James Johnson is the trade for us. I didn’t think it would be possible before, but if anything, it might be that we’re not willing to take back that contract and give up picks. We’ve been so held down by the Ryno contract we’d be adding a year to it, though hopefully with a player that proves useful.

A lot of people here have been mentioning players they want the Rockets to add; but we have to treat Knight as if he’s unplayable, so a team isn’t going to tie up a roster spot with someone they have no intention of playing without strong incentive (stronger than a pick near the end of the round).

Bazemore, Markieff... their respective teams still play these guys and they come off the books same year as Knight or before. But Miami has some incentive to take on Knight for Johnson because it cuts a year of salary, and Knight can be used in a trade as an expiring along with whatever picks we send their way next year. It’s still more unlikely than it is likely, but hope for:

Knight + Melo + Ennis + 1st round pick + 2nd round pick
    FOR
    James Johnson + Wayne Ellington

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I enjoyed this post. I would also like to add the names of Markieff Morris (UFA) and Bobby Portis (RFA) as 4/5's that could help this team. They can rebound and have 3pt range. Can backup Tucker and Capela and play "5-out."

D-rock and baller4life315 like this.
  16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I take it back

I just looked at James Johnson’s stats and game log. He’s not very good. Why did I think he’s better than what he is. Not so sure taking back that contract is something Morey would ever consider.

17. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone should keep in mind that Markief Morris is out until at least March. I don’t know if he can help this year. Way too risky.

The pool of helpful players is shrinking.

18. jb86

jb86 Member

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Whatever we do, I keep seeing our team attached to the names of wings; but if we really want to compete, I'll have to agree with the posters above, we need a big, hopefully with range. The Golden State we might see in the playoffs will have Boogie Cousins. If he's anywhere near back to normal, he and Draymond will negate Capela. That would leave us with, uh, Nene.

BaselineFade likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Markieff is set to return shortly after the Feb 7th trade deadline. Perhaps after the All Star game. He is expected to be back BEFORE March.