1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

80's movies were reeeaaaal rapey...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 10, 2019.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget in Breakfast Club when Judd Nelson basically shoves his face into Molly Ringwald's crotch just because he happened to be hiding there under the desk.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I was thinking of this movie too. Rape scene(s)? Check. Came out in the 1980s? Check.

Although the scene I remember is when DeNiro forces himself on Tuesday Weld.

3. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Triggered?

Dankstronaut, Hippieloser and eric.81 like this.
  4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I love the Breakfast Club. But even in the late 80s/early 90s when I first saw that, I was still kind of like WTF?

#24 DCkid, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In the '90s, they toned it down, but they taught HS millennials how to do group peeping via webcams, instead.

Hippieloser and conquistador#11 like this.
  6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I have to say, it is a little odd that there's this focus on movies from 30+ years ago being "problematic," while hip-hop in the present day is still rife with misogyny. Wouldn't it make more sense to concentrate on something that could be changed in the present day?

#26 DCkid, Jan 10, 2019
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Pretty sure Lisa raped Gary and Wyatt, too, in Weird Science

8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Deckard is the worst. He's essentially this guy

[​IMG]

but worse because he just killed Shosanna's family, he didn't rape her afterwards like Deckard would have done.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank goodness we've moved forward from that time period. It is interesting to note that at the time people thought there was nothing really wrong with that or that it was hilarious.

I don't think that it is necessary to hold movie makers from the 80's accountable to today's standards because obviously, we have progressed since then. I think we can still appreciate them for what they did, and be thankful that we have learned a thing or two since then. We should have learned.

I will say that this was so accepted at the time would hopefully serve as a warning for some things that people think are fine and dandy now. But I won't hold my breath.

11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Labyrinth is extremely rapey.

By that I mean Jennifer Connelly’s character appears to have been raped by her mother’s boyfriend David Bowie and she’s projected this fantasy over the trauma. He also has a giant package that gets a lot of screen time.

#31 bobloblaw, Jan 10, 2019
  12. Roscoe Arbuckle

See, this is what's wrong with today's culture: what was considered a "classic" a couple years ago people now say offends them. In this uber PC nonsense, if someone gets offended, it's over. Take it away and pat yourselves on the back for another horrific movie being condemned.

I wish I could watch you folks stand back and see what you're doing, but I won't hold my breath. There was an outcry against Huck Finn being in school libraries a couple decades ago. Pretty sure you were on the other side of that argument...

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In this case it isn't about being offended. It doesn't offend me in the least. Its about kids who are unsure how to act around women who watch movies and draw the lesson that the romantic way to approach a girl you like is to force her to the ground and keep kissing them until they stop fighting back because that's how they do it in all the movies they've seen.

Maybe list the maximum number of rapes your rugged tough guy old-timey anti-PC sensibilities are equivalent too. To pick a number out of thin air, if 2 women get date raped so that you can exercize your rights to see a crappy modern remake of Porkys, is that an acceptable trade off for you?

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

No way Weird Science is rated PG-13 today.. goodness gracious.

15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

its early 90's, but there is a scene in "cool as ice" where vanilla sneaks into the bedroom of a high school girl he is stalking and does this...

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Did you even read what I wrote? It doesn't seem like it. I specifically said that we shouldn't judge filmmakers from the 80s by today's standards and that we can still enjoy those films.

I am totally against PC. I certainly am not in favor of censoring Huck Finn or banning it or anything else. I've mentioned on this website several times how that is a specific example of PC that is horribly wrong and anti-message.

I'm sure you didn't read any of my posts on that since you apparently didn't read I wrote in the post that you quoted.

I own some of the movies and watch them from time to time. That being said, they are making a joke out of rape, and it is great that we've moved beyond that now. That was my point.

Perhaps I was too quick to suggest that we've moved beyond that. Obviously, some folks haven't. But the rest of society has.

17. Senator

Senator Member

It's fine when R Kelly does it -- he's one of us.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I'm 41, so definitely not a millennial and I grew up with these movies and have seen 16 Candles, Animal House, ROTN, etc... probably 20 times each (though none of them in years).

I think the OP and the video does make a point. Those are totally socially inappropriate things that are borderline sex crimes. They are just pointing that out. Don't see anyone being super offended and asking for the movies to be banned and the filmmakers to be blacklisted or anything. I think they are just correctly pointing out that in the 80's, we laughed at all of those scenes and didn't think about it...

I agree people are too thin-skinned these days and the world is a bit overloaded on being PC 100% of the time (yes kids, it is okay to feel offended sometimes...life goes on) but I don't think this thread is an example of that.