1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2018-19

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 7, 2018.

1. fattz

fattz Member

Gordon
    For
    Covington

We have to give to get and Covington fits and is locked in on a value contract. TPup would be a nice fit for EG too => He could have fun in the snow.

D-rock likes this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Clint is slowly but surely becoming into an offensive option for us.
    He no longer needs to rely on P/R's and putbacks to score.
    He needs to keep it up.

Addendum: I'm sorry I posted this in the wrong thread here. I will be more careful next time.

#922 saleem, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  3. sheb

sheb Member

4. Theking

Theking Member

topfive, bilaal14, Von Rafer and 6 others like this.
  5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Honestly, I don’t think a big move is in the cards nor necessary. By all means if we can get a Beal then that’s great but it’s not realistic.

I just want us to add a bigger front court player without giving up a rotation player; so any combination of Knight, Melo, Chriss, IH, and picks. Even the following players I don’t think are easy to trade for but my ideal targets are:
    Markieff Morris, Marvin Williams or James Johnson.

Markieff isn’t as realistic as it seems because we don’t have enough salary to match unless we included Ennis and IH on top of Chriss and Melo and picks. Washington isn’t taking back Knight in any scenario revolving around Markieff. (His injury is concerning too)

A trade for Marvin Williams or James Johnson would revolve around a package of Knight and picks. I don’t think either team is too attached to either player, but they’re also in no position to take back a contract like Knights.

#925 Zoplicone, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  6. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Starting to come around to the idea of Bobby Portis coming off the bench.. i havent watched a tonn of Bulls games. And can find stats fine.. but those in the know. Would he fit here?

After the Rivers signing and in the past people like Beasley i think we could mitigate some of his attitude problems, if theyre still a concern.

7. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

HOU IN: Portis, JR Smith and Rodney Hood
    CHI IN: Clarkson, Chriss and two 2nd round picks from Houston
    CLE IN: Knight, Felicio, a 1st from Houston and a 1st from Chicago or two 2nds depending on restrictions

Houston gets a deep bench and a valuable semi-expiring contract in JR Smith which can help a team like the Rockets who are going to be operating over the cap for the foreseeable future in a trade to bring in more salary this offseason.
    Chicago gets a good look at Clarkson next season and he won’t win them many games this season. They also get off of the Felicio contract and get a couple 2nd rounders to replace their restricted 1st round pick.
    Cleveland cuts about 7 million and gets future draft picks in the process.

8. fattz

fattz Member

Random thought
    Harden at the 4. He can cover in the paint better than out in the open. No one can cover him anywhere so just make the mismatch even bigger. We wouldn’t killed on the boards anymore because most teams would have to adjust or Harden would drop 60 points and pull in 15 rebounds. Remember Magic Johnson did this late in his career. JVG said in tonight’s game the Harden is an excellent post defender. (I trust what JVG says). Let Tucker cover the wing again were he is the bullier and not the bullied.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I like the idea, but do we really want Harden to get bullied down there? He takes a lot of hits driving to the rim.

10. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

What about Khris Middleton for EG and possibly other assets (i.e., draft picks if necessary)?

The salary is within 500k and Middleton has a player option he will most likely decline to become an UFA this summer, and while Milwaukee has his bird rights will they be able to sign him and keep out of the luxury tax in a small market? Gordon gives them another shooter/secondary ball handler around Giannis that is under contact for an additional year. Middleton would be our starting SF and a huge upgrade for this team imo.

joshuaao likes this.
  11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Hahaha. Milwaukee is having their best season ever. They’re going to trade their second best player for someone not as good? No the draft picks don’t make this trade reasonable. And neither does the contract situation.
    You have to be realistic

12. Sen89

Sen89 Member

The only way this works is if we have a 6'8"-6'9" SF with defensive chops, like Ariza last year. A guy like Otto Porter fits perfectly...but technically you could say Harden is the 3 and he's the 4, it really doesn't matter in 2019, as Harden will be handling on O and defending power players on D. There's no traditional positional label that role can fall under. The point is, you need someone with length/versatility next to him, because we're already a small/short team.

fattz likes this.
  13. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

Milwaukee is owned by private equity guys in the asset management business. I don’t think a trade where Gordon and Middleton are the key principals with other pieces involved is as funny as you think, from an asset optimization perspective for Milwaukee, which can’t afford to overpay and is not a desirable free agent market. Their avenue of improving is through trade and draft - not losing free agents for no compensation even if they are the second best player on the team during a record year.

peleincubus likes this.
  14. Sen89

Sen89 Member

DET out: 2019 1st, R.Jackson, S.Johnson, L.Kennard | DET in: J.Wall, J.Ennis, M.Chriss, C.Anthony (maybe waived?)
    Detroit continues their stubborn win-now philosophy. They drop a pick and 2 young wings, but none of those assets are not expendable, as both players are so-so and their drafting history has been awful. Wall gives them a star PG who is still 28, and puts him next to some legitimate P&R threats for the first time in his career. Ennis played well for Detroit last year and can fill up some minutes left by Kennard/Johnson.

WAS out: J.Wall, O.Porter Jr. | WAS in: 4 total 1sts, R.Jackson, S.Johnson, L.Kennard, B.Knight (waived)
    Washington starts to purge around Beal, with 4 picks, 2 young wings and an expiring big contract in Knight. Jackson's deal expires after a year and is a fill-in starter for now (or moveable).

HOU out: 3 1sts, B.Knight, M.Chriss, J.Ennis, C.Anthony | HOU in: O.Porter Jr
    We were prepared to give up 4 picks for Butler, and while Porter is far from that, if we can get him without giving up EG and also unloading some trash, I say do it. I'm never a fan of throwing away picks, but we need to make a move, and Harden's a HOFer in his prime -- those picks will be late. Porter fits perfectly here and fills the Ariza/LMAM void with ease.

C.Capela / Nene
    P.Tucker / (O.Porter Jr.)
    O.Porter Jr. / D.House
    J.Harden / E.Gordon
    C.Paul / A.Rivers
    >>> G.Green, G.Clark

15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

It’s a ridiculous idea. They’re not thinking saving money at any cost. Their value is going to increase with basketball success. They will pass on signing a guy like Jabari Parker, but they won’t give up Middleton for someone not as good, or risk disrupting their chemistry right now. What kind of message are you sending fans and Giannis. It’s just wishful thinking from a Rockets fan.

If you’re looking for a big score for the Rockets before the deadline, which I doubt is happening, you have to look at teams going nowhere with an unhealthy cap situation, not a team having their best year with one of the most promising young athletes.

seeingred, luckyman76 and saleem like this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

True, but Harden can only do this for short spurts. His stamina will decrease and the risk of injury is higher too. I agree with your other points.

luckyman76 and fattz like this.
  17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We wouldn't give up 3 first with Knoght unless we ate getting Beal.

18. Garner

Garner Member

You’re trading the significantly better player here.

19. fattz

fattz Member

Gordon’s value is lower than last year, as well. Both would fill needs better on their new team more than their current team, IMO. Use a FRP to even it up if needed. Both would make a difference in their new roles net positive => win / win.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This team needs a versatile frontcourt player that can defend multiple positions and help ease the burden on Tucker and/or CC. Ideally, this player would be a proven difference maker defensively and would bring the same type of intangibles to the table as Tucker (and Ariza/LMAM).

Examples of what I have in mind:

Tier 1: Unattainable but you get the idea

Draymond Green - We hate him but we would also take him in a heartbeat. That said, GS would never deal him to us.

Tier 2: Probably attainable without including any FRP’s

James Johnson - Discussed ad nauseam this summer. Having a down year with two years remaining on his contract. Miami is looking to cut salary.

MKG - The fit looks odd on paper given his offensive limitations, but if you’ve ever watched him play you get it. His +/-‘s have always been outstanding. Over the years I’ve watched him give Westbrook fits, defend elite wing players and even this year log minutes as a small-ball 5. He’s smart, works hard and could be invaluable coming off of the bench. He might be my favorite option of anyone on this list.

Charlotte is underutilizing him and he’s already stated his intentions to exercise his PO for next year. BK + sweetners might be enough to get it done.

Tier 3: Get ready to fork over that 2019 FRP

Marvin Williams - Starter level player on a reasonable contract. Little incentive for Charlotte to deal him without draft pick(s).

JaMychal Green - Same as Marvin, although Green is expiring. You might be able to sell them on a protected FRP.

Taj Gibson - Same as JaMychal. Expiring but still very useful and currently with a conference rival that has shown reluctance to deal with us.

Tier 4: Definitely not giving up a FRP but I’ll kick the tires

RHJ - Very similar strengths/weaknesses as MKG. Odd fit on paper, but you can bring someone like this off of the bench to be a defensive disrupter. Brooklyn will probably listen as long as they don’t have to take back any long-term contracts.

LMAM - Pretty self-explanatory. Like most, I’m skeptical about him ever being able to return to his pre-injury form, but if the price is reasonable it’s worth a shot.

#940 baller4life315, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019