1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ranking Playoff Head Coaches

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 7, 2019.

1. mario_v

mario_v Member

I think out of the 32 head coaches, there’s only about four that are better than obrien and that’s belichick, mcvay, Sean Payton, Andy Reid.

There’s also coaches like Adam gase, shurmur and Kyle shannahan that I think are good, they just don’t have a good qb to run their offense. Yet, for some reason Kyle shannahan always seems to get a pass.

Matt naggy has really been impressive, having to work with such a **** qb like Trubisky, but then again he also had the leagues best defense.

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

Doesn't look like we are letting him go. Hopefully he'll actually improve like he says he needs to.

3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Doug Pederson

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Pete carroll

5. Major

Major Member

Come on, guys. What have those coaches accomplished that BoB hasn't? Innovation, player development, having a good offense/defense, playoff wins, conference titles, superbowls are all secondary. The guys play hard for BoB and that's really all that matters!

Frank Drebin, leroy and Mr. Clutch like this.
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

John Harbaugh

7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Superbowls are what matters. Not so called playing hard for your coached and getting destroyed in every wildcard matchup.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Now that Bob McNair is gone, will the new owner (I'm assuming it's the son) show a little moxie and get a new coach? Bob McNair was loyal to a fault, or too cheap to pay out the salary of someone he fired (uh, rest in peace).

Bill O'Brien is an awful coach. The team was woefully unprepared for the playoffs. Both offense and defense stunk it up (and why should our defense, featuring such players, be pimp-slapped around?)

Granted, they started 0-3 and finished 11-5, but there was a skin-of-the-teeth feeling in many of those wins (and the last two losses). I just feel the team has gone as far as it can with Bill.

10. Buck Turgidson

It's baffling to me how much this guy loooooves him some BOB. Your name's not Kneel is it?

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If the NFL granted teams the ability to trade coaches - and then drugged the other 31 owners....... I would trade BOB - in a heartbeat! - for Belichick, Reid, Payton, Carroll, Harbaugh, Pederson, McVay, Shanahan, Tomlin. Those nine are no-brainers. I'd also likely trade for Lynn and Zimmer and possibly Nagy and Reich (who have shown a tremendous amount of potential; though, to be fair, so did BOB that first year). Rivera and Quinn, too - though neither *excites* me. But I think the team would be better.

That's 14 coaches. Out of 24 established coaches, right? And I'm intrigued by some of the new coaches.

I'll keep beating this drum... on the vast majority of Sundays, BOB does not provide us the coaching advantage.

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

But wait, what do you suggest they do? Who should they call?!?!?!

Hey Now! and Nimo like this.
  13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Reich impressed me. His game plan was flawless. His players were in the right positions at the right times and the Texans looked like the Keystone Cops. Coaching wise, he dominated that game.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

C'mon man. You don't really believe this...do you?

In no particular order, these are the current NFL head coaches I'd take in a heartbeat over BO'B

Belicheck
    Tomlin
    Harbaugh
    McVay
    Peyton
    Rivera
    Nagy
    Reich
    Reid
    Lynn
    Zimmer
    Shanahan
    Carroll
    Arians

red5rocket likes this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Doesn't matter Brian!

Division Champs Brian!

16. mario_v

mario_v Member

I think there's only about four top tier head coaches in the league and that's belicheck, Mcvay, Payton, and Reid. You can make a case for Pederson but he hasn't coached long enough, imo.

And then you got a bunch of 2nd tier head coaches that are good but not good enough to stand out from one another.

IMO, harbaugh and tomlin are overrated coaches who inherited great teams. Didn't the ravens miss the playoffs for three straight years? The Vikings have a balanced and stacked team and didn't even make the playoffs. Can you imagine what people would say if Obrien was the coach of that team? So why does Zimmer get a pass?

Tomlin is supposed to be this player's coach/leader of men, but he cant even control his own team. There's no reason why a team with that much talent shouldn't make the playoffs.

I also find it ironic that you rank Kyle Shanahan ahead of Obrien, when Shanahan finished with a 4-12 record this season and 6-10 last year. Your obvious response would be, "well, he doesn't have a qb." Bo'b went 9-7 for three straight years without a qb and made the playoffs in 2 out of 3 years. So why does Shanahan get a pass?

17. Hey Now!

I'm glad SOMEBODY finally asked me - I've been DYING to tell you: Tony Elliott, Watson's primary playcaller at Clemson. In fact, I may start a thread about this............

houstonstime likes this.
  18. Hey Now!

BO'B showed a tremendous amount of potential his first season - and taking nothing away from Reich, there are few NFL jobs as easy as being able to coach a healthy Andrew Luck, so I want to be careful being TOO high on the guy after just a year in which they DID start 1-5 and DID lose late to Jacksonville, 6-0.

BUT, yes... he thoroughly outcoached BO'B for the majority of the 12 quarters they faced each other this year, including the final six, for sure.

solid likes this.
  19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The AFC South in those 9-7 years was considered the worst division in the NFL and it wasn't even close. Having a great defense in those years was enough because they were almost guaranteed 6 wins.

You weren't putting them into tiers. You said there are only 4 that are better than BO'B and that's just not the case.

20. Hey Now!

Pederson has been a head coach longer than Sean McVay and, you know... won a Super Bowl. McVay's next playoff victory will be his first.

Harbaugh inherited an aging team and immediately won with a (mediocre) rookie QB. He's had one losing season in 11 years and has finished with double-digit wins six times. Zimmer was an excellent defensive coordinator and was 60 minutes away from a Super Bowl 12 months ago. They struggled this year - but I would wager the Texans and this defense would be better under Zimmer than BO'B.

I think the Steelers' locker room is filled with malcontents and bad guys. As with Zimmer, hand Tomlin this choir boy team and he'd get more out of them than BO'B, IMO - he's an aggressive coach who has a long track record of success; he would innovate and coach to Watson's strengths.

Shanahan doesn't have near the talent BO'B does - and, again: he has a track record of NFL success as a coordinator. Most of us would feel secure that the offense under Shanahan - or the defense under Zimmer - would be sound. Can you honestly say that about BO'B?