1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I don't trust MDA .

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jan 9, 2019.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Look . We have the best player in the NBA. If he's at last years level , CP3 is a great #2 guy .

I know we were an injury away from the chip last year . But is MDA really a championship caliber coach ?

How much of us being in a position to win last year is due to MDA ? How much of it is due to how incredible harden and Paul are ... especially harden .

I still think we can win it . IMO MDA is a better coach than Kerr . But there are matchups I'm not confident about . Just as teams have bad matchups .... I think that if MDA gets matched up with a coach that is better than him , he might make mistakes over a 7 game series and cost us .

I'm pissed (and a bit discouraged after tonight ) .

How do you let another team go on a run like that with no adjustments.... there are freak runs due to shooting variance ... but that was not the case tonight .

How do you have a bench that plays well in the first half but then you don't really give them a chance in the second half ?

btw there is nothing I hate more that seeing harden play the entire 4th in an effort to try to bring us back . You had to know there was a good chance his legs would get tired leading to a lower percentage jumpshot . You are asking too much of him . Just because he can sometimes do it for you , doesn't mean you should rely on him to consistently do it . You are increasing his chance to wear out as the season goes along ... or asking him to susbstitue something else for recovery time .

It's mystifying . Based off what I'm observing t doesn't make sense . But he does it consistently. Why does he believe this is the best strategy. When it works out it's because players individually step up and play great . But why keep pushing for energy and grit that might not be there on a nightly basis . MDA might believe he's helping "develop" it ... but he needs to stop pushing so hard ... especially in our situation with key players already hurt .

Sorry for the rant . I'm pretty high , hope I made a bit of sense

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Understood. There should be concern too! A lot of stupidity. Pop was coaching us this game Bucks wouldn't have ever came back on us after halftime.

3. icewill36

icewill36 Member

you are overreacting. the bucks are a top team in the league. my only problem with tonight is we should have taken advantage of the mid range the way they were guarding. i know Mike D hates it but it was wide open. we didnt even need mid range jumpers it could have been little runners/floaters instead going all the way to the rim where illyasova was just waiting for charges and lopez taking up space contesting shots.

4. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

What a stupid stupid thread. This after a loss to a really good team when we are down our 2nd best and uber sixth man? Come on man. It’s just a loss...

Deckard, cbass, tinman and 4 others like this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think he has his flaws, but all coaches do, and his flaws could have been easily overcome with a better roster. Not to mention, we were playing the best team in the NBA. If the Warriors are the best team, we beat them last week.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I wanna add one more thing . It breaks my heart for harden .

He played so well to bring us back but then ran out of gas and missed those last few shots .... and you know that's all the media will focus on . "Couldn't close it down the stretch" , "continues choking "

I just wish he had a coach that wouldn't make him play the entire fourth and try to close out games on fumes .

BasketMAD, cbs1507 and PeterKingX like this.
  7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

We barely lost to one of the best teams in the nba without two of our top 3 players. MDA is doing just fine

8. shvedsucks

shvedsucks Member

MDA gets too much credit. Harden was already MVP with Mchale and wasn’t even in his prime yet. We also had players like DMo, Tjones, brewer and josh smith as main rotational players with Mchale

Lawlruschang, D-rock and cbs1507 like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

MDA doesn't trust himself. Play the bench no matter what because Harden's rest should be the most important thing in the game. A fresh Harden can get out of the hole. Harden came back 15 down.. If MDA knows Harden can get him out of a pretty big hole, I have no Idea why he wouldn't play the bench more..

Harden got full rest when he beat the Warriors. The bench played very well and Harden came in with 8 minutes left in that game.. Will MDA learn one of these days?

Rockets lost only 3 games down 2 pivotal players and playing an absolute gauntlet of games.. You shouldn't be that discouraged

#9 DreamShook, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Fine is not good enough. He is relying on Harden to be great.

Rock Block and BasketMAD like this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

These are two ways of lookin at it .

But we've beaten a lot of good teams during this recent stretch .... and we didn't appear to have much too much of a problem with them in the first half .

We got creamed by MIL's second half adjustments and MDA's response (or lack thereof)

Green feasted on midrange so I disagree that we weren't taking them .

They played our linear offense well and nene is usually a nice wrinkle to throw in because you can give the ball to him in more spots than Clint and he can be effective .... but MDA held him out tonight and it was predetermined! He didn't even think of the possibility that he might want to use him ?

I would agree with your take if we just got out talented tonight . That didn't happen . We had guys and combinations of guys playing well enough to win but MDA didn't play the right mixture .

Of course CP3 and Gordon help , but they help because they limit the number of bad choices MDA can make

BasketMAD likes this.
  12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

I get what you're saying, MDA gonna MDA...imo he's definitely not a great coach, i'd say a good one, certainly not as good as Bud to say one name. But tbh i don't think we lost this game because of him, players where just too sloppy for too much time out there, even James, for as good as he was in scoring, i don't know, he made too many bad/lazy passes, i actually think this is the first time in the last 10/15 games...regardless, like others said we played without Chris and Eric against a good team, we played a sloppy (imo) game, and lost by a couple of shots...

Lawlruschang and snowconeman22 like this.
  14. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Exactly. Harden has been bailing him out with or without injuries.

MDA’s coaching career speaks for itself.

BasketMAD likes this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't complain about MDA too much because he's still 100x better than mchale. that being said, i don't really attribute much of our success to pringles and his winning COTY and recently western conference COTM is a joke. everything starts and ends with harden. whether it's capela's fat contract or cp3 strongarming a trade to get here -- harden is the reason

J.R. and BasketMAD like this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Really? He has a pretty good coaching career, so I dont know what you are talking about.

D-rock and Elephant810 like this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Well, MDA has lost playoff series because he fails at the nuance of the game. His best teams have been great, but he hasn't made the adjustments to get over the hump.

18. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to believe that Harden's great clutch games over the past few weeks should give him some leeway with the media and the public. I don't think one game in which he couldn't "get it up", so to speak, should take away from so many games of f*cking the opposition.

But, that said, we should never underestimate the stupidity of bandwagon fans. All that matters is that we know how great James Harden has been, and will continue to be.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The short rotations bother me, but overall he has been a damn good coach.

Who do suggest we replace him with?

D-rock likes this.
  20. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Wait, so you are telling me that a predetermined rest for Nene is stupid on the coaches part? Doesn’t half the world and 90% of CF’s think pop is the greatest ever because he rests his guys???

They got the best record, and beat us without 2 of our top 3 guys. It’s totally fine. MDA woulda beat pop in his heyday if not for Horry’s Murder, and then no one would question him cuz he’s a champ. Odds are, no CP hammy, MDA gets us a title last year, and no one questions him cuz he’s a champ.

This threads got it all wrong, we are fine, MDA is more than fine. Players gotta play.

Rocket River, Elephant810 and D-rock like this.