1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The One Phone Call the Texans MUST Make...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

His job would be the same as any other HC with competent coordinators: he'd oversee & manage personnel (ie who plays); set schedules, goals, etc.; watch film and work with the coordinators to highlight areas that can be exploited and help them address those areas; gameplan and ultimately manage gameday.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

And to take the blame when things go south #CoachBetter

Nook and houstonstime like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

They had an extremely easy schedule.

They did not beat a playoff team the last three months of the season and then were down 21-0 against the Colts.

I wouldn't read too much into what happened this season, as in regard to where the Texans are as an organization.

Next year the schedule will likely be a lot harder.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Do you think BOB is good at these things?

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Let's first identify what O'Brien is good at

red5rocket likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Players like him......

I honestly do not know what else.

He isn't a good play caller.

He isn't good at in game decisions.

He isn't good at making personnel decisions.

He isn't a good communicator.

He isn't a criminal, which is good I suppose.

Mr. Clutch and Major like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I keep talking to friend's about them having to let BoB go and the first thing that comes out of their mouth is... "they were 0-3"

Yes! That's my point, they were inexplicably ill-prepared to begin the season and it showed through those first three games on both sides of the football. Which caused them to almost have to go on that improbable 9-0 run just to get back into playoff contention.

Then we flounder out at the tail end of the season and are forced to realize that we beat a few good teams that made terrible decisions (either playcall wise or trusting the wrong player).

It's clear that the level of competition will only continue to increase. With this staff there's no way we can even hope to tread water as they continue to progress and we continue to plateau. Clearly, it's time for a change.

Jake Tower and Nook like this.
  9. Hey Now!

The question was whether this regime would ever - and I'll quote here - "give him the support and development needed to win?" I suppose you could read "win" several different ways - but it struck me as a weird question to ask at the end of an 11-win season.

10. Hey Now!

I'm not advocating for BOB; but there were repeated posts asking, Well if he's not calling plays, what would he do? Maybe the intent was "... because he's not good at anything else." - I didn't read it that way, though. I took the question literally --> if HCs don't call plays, they're useless.

I am in the exact same spot I was in 2010: my preference is for them to fire BOB. I think this year was maximum BOB. Unfortunately, I have no expectation that'll actually happen so a viable plan B is forcing him to bring in an offensive mind to help him shape this offense.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this yet - but my choice would be Tony Elliott, Watson's primary playcaller when he was at Clemson.

Nook and houstonstime like this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't think Harbaugh calls plays. I think there are other things a head coach can do besides call plays like time management, personnel management (with input from coordinators), accountability, motivation, etc.

lol Yes we know your guy is Elliott. FTR, mine is Munchak. Unfortunately, I don't think either is happening.

12. Hey Now!

Oh, have I mentioned that?... I wasn't sure......

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I think you should start a twitter for Tony Elliott as OC... it worked for you last time.

red5rocket and Hey Now! like this.
  14. raining threes

Agreed with the 1st part of your post.

But after getting 11 wins with a rookie GM that took over a talent depleted roster at two of the most imporortant positions on the team, (OL.CB) I'm willing to give the new regime 2 yrs of having full compliment of draft choices before I can get where you are. Gaine was left a mess to clean up.

15. raining threes

16. raining threes

1. He's a great leader, players didn't quit on him after an 0-3 start.
    2. Agreed, but it was hard to be a good playcaller with that OL and injuries at WR, RB.
    3. I think he only really messed up in game decisions in the Pats game. I know many disagree
    4. He doesn't make personnel decisions, Gaine does and Smith did before Gaine,
    5. If he wasn't a good communicator the team would've quit on him after an 0-3 start.
    6. Agreed.

We agree on many things and you may very well be correct on this, but I'm willing to let his handpicked guy get a chance to fill in the missing pieces before I make a judgement. The holes can be filled this offseason if ownership is willing to spend the $$$$ in FA to fill a couple of holes and Gaine nails the draft.

Nook likes this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

My guy is still alive

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

If he does, I need to start a "Mike Devlin must go" one

houstonstime likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

On the surface it is an odd question. How many coaches get fired coming off a season where they went 11-5 and finished on an 11-2 streak.

It becomes less of an odd question when you look at who they played, how they fared against playoff caliber teams down the stretch... etc.

At the end of the day I highly doubt that the McNair family will fire BOB. If he were fired, it would be because if Gaine really pushing it.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Fangio will let Elway pick his assistants....... ehh.

raining threes likes this.