1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Old timers: compare this season with ‘94

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iNoseBleedRed, Jan 9, 2019.

1. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Did we start out ugly back then too? All I know is that we didn’t have the best season but ended up winning it all.

Using your old timer super memory powers, compare and contrast what you saw then from you’ve seen now.

It’s going to be amazing to go back to all the posts regarding the ugly ball we played early this season once we win the chip this year.

ramotadab, BaselineFade and hakeem94 like this.
  2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Injuries was a big part of that season. Hakeem missed time. The team was not playing well. The trade for Drexler was done to try to spark something.

BigggReddd and hakeem94 like this.
  3. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Good ole days.... I was in high school then but those teams always seemed deeper to me (my memory) than anything over the past recent years. Outside of Capela and Harden there’s no one that’s going to drop 20 plus on a given night. While it didn’t seem like you had guys doing that consistently, they could though and it was multiple guys who could. I don’t know where that comes from on this team unless PJ drops 6 3’s plus a few put backs. Paul changes that some when he returns and hopefully EGO manages to remember who he once was.

4. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

No, Rockets won their 1st 9 games of the season and looked good through the early part of it. Injuries happened and caused the team to finish 17-18 in their last 35 games.

Basically felt the opposite of this season so far; team was floundering heading into the playoffs.

5. ktex

ktex Member

This is more like 95 than 94.

6. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

So it's time to bring our glider. CC + Draft Right + EG = AD?

7. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Yes 93-94 and 94-95. very different regular season results.

8. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

They went from #1 or #2 on defense in 93-94 to middle of the pack 94-95. The regular season 94-95 team left a lot to be desired. Pretty lackluster season other then Vernon going crazy in Portland (?) like MM does.

I remember the playoffs more. .500 in the division, 6th seed....and then it happened. First team to win four series without home court advantage, First No. 6 seed to win the chip and the first team to defeat four 50-win teams to win the chip. Only the sixth Finals sweep in history.

9. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

The difference was we had Vernon Maxwell...

Rock Block likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The only similarity is that people thought Hakeem was traveling too.

11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

It feels warmer to me......o_O

Go Rockets!!!

12. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah Utah used to play a spoof of "Walk Like an Egyptian". Jazz fans would officiate from the stands with the traveling call every time Dream went to pivot.

13. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, and fans replaced Egyptian with Nigerian.

The 95 team was hard to watch during the regular season, just like this year’s team was to start the season. No energy, no life. I thought they had become satisfied with one ring, just as it seemed this year’s team was satisfied with being a “hamstring away”.

When you have the best player in the world you always have a chance to beat the odds. If Harden continues to play at this level and lay claim to being the best in the world like Dream did, then this very well may be our year. Harden is demonstrating that he can truly put a team on his back like the Dream did. Hopefully this year will end the same as 95.

I know I didn’t address the 94 team, but I don’t remember any similarities between 94’ and our current team as others have stated.

Rock Block, ramotadab and fryjol7 like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No comparison - right now, other than both had a superstar player in their prime.....

I do have a feeling that we are getting close to last year's squad though.

DD

15. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Are you sure that can be done? I remember reading that Kyrie and AD cant be together as they are both supermax. Wouldn't that apply to Rockets as well?

16. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Are we talking 94-95?

We were defending champs, we had a reason to slow down after our 9-0 start. Injuries, and we made a huge trade while losing one of our best wing guys in the season

This is nothing like that season.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

sushimaster and withmustard like this.
  18. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

There's no comparison

[​IMG]

19. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

in 93 we lost to the sonics -- our nemesis -- in a seven game series in the second round of the playoffs in which Dream already became the best player on the planet, regardless of what jordan lovers say. he developed the dream shake and was the most unstoppable player on both ends of the floor. He should have won the MVP tin 93, but somehow they gave it to barkley. In 94 the rockets started the season winning 15 games straight. we had all the pieces necessary to win, having cassell as a spark plug off the bench, and robert horry as a stretch 3, with maxwell doing his usual thing. We didn't lack anything that year and didn't in 93 either. We were just lucky to not run into the sonics in the playoffs because they had our number. Dream could not only take it on double teams but triple teams also. We had great role players, even in carl herrera and mario ellie. We didn't really lack any pieces and regardless of the what everyone else says, would have beat the bulls too with jordan. We were a great defensive team that had just enough talent from all of the role players around Dream. I believe it was the first time you saw one superstar carry the team on his back with only good role players around him. it was a total team effort.Dream was just that good.

This year is similar to that in that James Harden has also become the best player on the planet, but it is not similar in that we are clearly missing at least one player, a defensive wing. I'm not saying that we can't win it all -- i think we can -- but we'd have to shoot red hot through out the playoffs. we'll need to outscore them, and we meaning all of the role players. Just as when the sonics gave us the full court press with gary payton in order to prevent dream from receiving the ball in post where he likes it, teams are going to double harden and press in the playoffs, and its going to be up to everyone else to make them pay, just like the last game against the nuggets. As well as house, rivers, and tucker are playing for us, they still lack the length to guard longer guards and forwards. We're going to have trouble defending a lot of players.....we'll need to outscore them.

20. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

This is part of the reason why it took me years to stop hating Utah. A bunch of whining cry babies.

bulkatron and topfive like this.