1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Texans Head Coaching Prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rockets94-95, Jan 5, 2019.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed. 1-3 in the playoffs. Record is what it is.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Umm, it worked out terribly for the Rockets? They had a disaster of a season following that appearance. Considering the hype that went into the following season one could argue it was one of the most disappointing seasons in franchise history.

Now the NBA you can be more patient since there is less parity, so giving a coach another 'prove it' year makes sense...

In the NFL it does not. In the NFL things change drastically from season to season...as the Colts have shown. A new coach could literally be the difference between having another mediocre season or going to the superbowl, it really could, and I think we've seen enough of BOB to know that he's not going to be the one to take us there...so why waste another season for it? Another season on Watt's body? Another year older for Hopkins?

There is no reason to be too patient in this league or next thing you know the entire division has moved past you. The Jags are probably a QB (Just a decent one...) and WR away from being scary. The Titans are decent. The Colts are now the best team in the division.

I think we've waited long enough for BOB and I don't think it is a good sign that after all these years our Oline is in shambles. Usually, the first thing a coach does is fix their Dline and Oline...and one of these has been broken for us for a few years now. I'm not that confident that given time he's going to fix the Oline.

Wattafan and rockets94-95 like this.
  3. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Idk how people are defending Bob's job. He needs to go.

DJboutit, TexasRedd, Pringles and 3 others like this.
  4. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

They all said last year give O’Brien another year with a healthy Watson, well they did and the results were still the same. Winning the division with an easy schedule, lucky in a lot of these games, which could have resulted still finishing with another 9-7 record. Team was not prepared in the beginning of the season nor at the end of it. Out coached completely in three of his playoff loses, two of them blow outs. In my opinion, Bill needs to go or give him one year but he must bring in an OC.

If people are complaining how can we fire a coach with an 11-5 record after starting 0-3? Well he should have been fired last year then and we gave him one more chance

5. Major

Major Member

Titans kept a coach that went 8-8 year after year.

On the flipside, the Broncos fired a coach that went 13-3, 13-3, and 12-4. And then won a Superbowl the next year.

The decision to fire a coach should be based on whether you think you can improve your team or your current coach can take the team farther - not just looking at record.

rockets94-95 and red5rocket like this.
  6. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Nice explanation.
    I am loathe to get rid of him just yet as the players like him and play hard for him and Watson was hurt a lot this year.
    Whichever way it goes, I just hope the oline gets addressed so that we don't cringe everytime Watson wants to pass.

7. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Bring in an Andy Reid disciple...

red5rocket likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I guess the main question I ask myself is...is he worth another shot?

Had he been a guy like Tomlin that has had a lot of playoff success and a ring to go with it...or Gruden...then I get it. But he just hasn't proved in the playoffs that he should be given the benefit of the doubt. He just hasn't earned that and he's had a chance to.

I hate most that our game wasn't even interesting or intriguing, we were the dud playoff game, again. At least Watson got the experience I guess, which does count for something.

red5rocket likes this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If the Eagles beat the Bears and make a small run, and the Colts beat the Chiefs, which is a good possibility, everyone's going to be looking for former quarterbacks to coach their teams.

Must be something about their playing days allowing them to be able to adjust on the fly...

And if that's the case, how long till Peyton is a coordinator or head coach?

jimmyv281 likes this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Also, if I'm Cal,I don't necessarily fire O'Brien, but I put feelers out to see if Arians would be interested if I changed my mind.

If Arians comes in he can bring Todd Bowles. Then, they can talk Peterson into demanding to play here.

Would be a perfect situation. Arians would be the perfect coach for Watson.

And I did read this idea somewhere, something a friend sent me from somewhere, but it's perfect.

#90 Two Sandwiches, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

You read that somewhere

arkoe and Two Sandwiches like this.
  12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

That one win is super flawed too. A playoff team missing their starting QB and the backup is trash unlike Nick Foles.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  13. today

today Contributing Member

Then why do other teams already have what I'm asking for? Lance Zierlein responded to my question on twitter and confirmed that there are teams that do this.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Consider that the person you are responding to also said this and adjust your expectations as needed.

today likes this.
  15. Two Sandwiches

I did. Fixed it to show I did. My bad. I added to it as well with the Peterson part.

#95 Two Sandwiches, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  16. body slam

body slam Member

Urban Meyer if healthy

17. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Excerpt from the column:

“Can you envision the Texans winning a Super Bowl with O’Brien as their coach?

That’s the first question that new man-in-charge Cal McNair should have asked himself Sunday morning.”

vjohnson likes this.
  18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Sean Ryan OC

whag00 and conquistador#11 like this.
  19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I’m perfectly fine with that. Anything that shows BoB is willing to hold himself and his staff accountable.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fake OC.
    Want real OC. (One that doesn't have ties to O'Brien or the Patriots)

Don't want an OC in name only. Don't want a co-OC who "calls" plays but Bob O'Brien overrides. Want real OC. Bob can "focus" on "doing a better job" as he often says.

red5rocket and Shark44 like this.