1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Texans Head Coaching Prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rockets94-95, Jan 5, 2019.

1. today

today Contributing Member

We need an analytics guy in the booth that tells O'Brien when to use timeouts, when to go for it on 4th down and when to challenge plays.

That being said, everyone played like crap today, Indy played great and the virtually every close call by the refs went in Indy's direction.

Looking forward to next year with healthy WRs, a revamped O-Line and some new DBs.

Shark44 and No Worries like this.
  2. Texanstradamus

What is the head coaches job ?

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The problem is OB should already have that guy in the booth, or he should know this stuff himself. It shouldn't be the owner's job to surround him with perfect players and staff so he can succeed.

red5rocket and rockets94-95 like this.
  4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Shouldn’t take an advanced math degree to know that when you’re down 2 scores with under 10 minutes in the game, maybe you should pick up the f***ing pace a bit? Why the f*** were they huddling in that scenario?

That, IMO, for an offensive coach is a fireable offense. A playoff game and you’re playing it like you already have something clinched.

red5rocket, rockets94-95 and Cstyle42 like this.
  5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

With the passing of Bob I just see the Texans staying put on these type of moves.
    Not My Job Brian! -BOB

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Outside looking in, the Texans feel so much like Groundhog's Day to me. It's like they replaced Kubiak with a clone of Kubiak. Doesn't know how to build a staff around himself so that he can delegate responsibility to help himself. Same canned responses where he takes responsibility such as "I've got to coach better" after every loss. Mediocre team with little direction. Receives extensions for mediocre results. Never seems to have a game plan. Is regularly outcoached. So often the team starts flat. Inability to beat the Colts.

We're going on 15 years now with Gary Kubiak as coach. The only difference is the cheeky fake anger directed at the media.

I know the hope is Deshaun Watson, but I'm frankly shocked anyone expected anything other than what happened yesterday. I wasn't expecting them to be a contender and expected them to struggle against any of the top AFC teams, but when it came out that their first round opponent was the Colts I knew it wasn't even worth turning on the game.

7. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Among other things, to have their team ready to play competitive football.

8. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Firing an 11-5 coach won't fix your Oline.
    Not having a first round pick last season is hurting us now as we could have had the best olineman in years and who beat us up last night.
    Colts invested heavily in the last draft and it is paying handsomely for them now.
    Texans have three high pocks in the next draft and had better do the same or we will be looking up at Colts (again) for the next 10 years.

mario_v and No Worries like this.
  9. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Firing an 11-5 coach won't fix your Oline.
    Not having a first round pick last season is hurting us now as we could have had the best olineman in years and who beat us up last night.
    Colts invested heavily on their oline in the last draft and it is paying handsomely for them now.
    Texans have three high picks in the next draft and had better do the same or we will be looking up at Colts (again) for the next 10 years.

10. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

O’Brien’s poor coaching involves way more than last year’s draft picks.

red5rocket likes this.
  11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I wouldn’t be opposed.

He was great with Mayfield.

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

To be fair.

I didn’t think the play calling was that bad.

Watson was missing throws he has made all year.

mario_v and No Worries like this.
  13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Cal isn’t firing BoB.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You don’t think huddling with under 10 min to go and down 2 touchdowns was bad play calling/strategy?

15. Texanstradamus

This team has always moved slow I never seen an uptempo to the level Rodgers Brady yes they are greats but I’m just saying it always been slow with OB like they don’t practice it

16. Texanstradamus

This team has always moved slow I never seen an uptempo to the level Rodgers Brady yes they are greats but I’m just saying it always been slow with OB like they don’t practice it

17. mario_v

mario_v Member

Analytics doesn’t work in football like it does in basketball or baseball. Too many variables and not big enough sample size.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It takes a 2-14 season to get fired round here.

If he can keep winning 7-9 games he'll have a job for life. It's a franchise perfectly content with mediocrity.

19. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

So how is 11-5 poor coaching?

20. ddub

ddub Member

The problem is BOB the slow tempo is all on him he want to have control of the plays that’s being run, if they go uptempo Watson run his plays and that would be a better offense