1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2018-19

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 7, 2018.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Joe Harris of the Nets would average 15 ppg in the Rockets offense.

I would give up two future first for him right now.

Houston would take the next step with a sharp shooter like that on the court.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He could be our starting SF this year and beyond. Between Harris and Ed Davis, Brooklyn has two of the best value contracts in the league.

Brooklyn also has big plans for free agency this summer.

The only way I see this as a realistic possibility is involving a third team as a facilitator that could send them expirings and cap relief. Something like: we absorb Crabbe (bad contract) while adding Harris or Davis, they receive expiring(s) while we send picks/incentives to the facilititor for their troubles. A team like Chicago, for example, with essentially a massive expiring contract in Parker.

BaselineFade likes this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm getting worried about EG. Rivers can't cover for him and Chris. House is playing great, but Ennis is a non-factor. I know we need front court help more than anything else, but I will be happy to acquire Courtney Lee for Brandon Knight.

Throw in a 2nd rounder to tempt NY. I know that will be tough unless Knight steps up a couple of notches. I wouldn't have suggested this if Ennis was a reliable swingman on the defensive end.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@Nook with the Bulls being obvious sellers, I am wondering, do you think Bobby Portis is available? (cc @Clutch )

BigMaloe likes this.
  5. fattz

fattz Member

I think they will get that for him. Wish we had more to work with to get a player like him.

Best we can do...
    Gordon and Knight plus 2 FRP
    For
    Beal

Idk cuts payroll by 2.5mm ish.

Gordon not taking a hometown discount & isn’t happy anymore.

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

The more games I watch with this roster...I just don't see that big game changing move. The playoff backcourt is solidified with Harden/CP3/Gordon/Rivers. Capela/Nene is good for center, ideally you go small where Nene can't play. The problem is we don't have bench forwards. Sure we can just play our guards at the 3 but then we will get punished on the boards.

I just don't see it being smart to burn 1st rd picks on replacement level players. Outside of snagging an all star forward like Butler, the type of player that would help us is very specific. We need a 3/4 that can defend but not disrupt our offense (basically the Ariza role). But, the 6'8/6'9 versatile forward that can guard 2-4 is really rare.

Corrosion and saleem like this.
  7. saleem

Otto Porter is playing poorly this year, but he really stepped up in the past against GS. A better Ariza on a shorter contract would be ideal. This isn't possible unfortunately. The Nets are in no mood to give up Ed Davis or Joe Harris. They could be helpful to the Rockets.

I don't see Demarre being bought out, but his role might decrease a bit, now that Faried has stepped up unexpectedly. I would like him as a backup for Tucker. Hollis-Jefferson looks like a good defender to me. He doesn't shoot very well, but he could be a replacement for Ennis.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Uhhh. Paul George. 10 1st round picks, Capela/Gordon should do it.

9. fattz

fattz Member

Porter’s contract should come with FRPs it is Anderson/Paul like just toxic. Why would we do that to ourselves?

10. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Portis would be nice as s 4/5. I think he would be a monster in this system. I wonder how many picks would it take to get him. He may actually be available if the bulls are trying to clear the decks. Still just 23. I love the idea. It’s gonna take a sleeper trade or two to solidify the roster before the deadline. If Portis is available I’m sure Morey is on the case.

11. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Aaron Gordon

dfbreyes likes this.
  13. saleem

I didn't say Otto should be pursued. I implied he could have a good player for us, if he had a shorter contract and if he was playing better. DM should to acquire James Johnson as a long 4 and try to get another replacement for Ennis or another big. Capela and Tuck need more help then anyone. House and Green are playing heavy minutes, Ennis is not up to the task.

14. Zergling

Zergling Member

Tucker seems to be falling apart. He's only good in certain matchups and he's not hitting the 3 anymore or rebounding (basically, he's become everything we don't want in a starting PF). If we can get a 3&D wing, I'd put him at the 4 immediately. Hell I'd start House right now at the 4 and then Gordon to return to starting at the 3 when he comes back.

15. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

IMO the rockets are set at guard. That rotation is going to be sick when Gordon and Paul come back. They have to get a 3/4 or 4/5. I love the Portis idea but I can see the bulls wanting to hold onto him. He is only 23 and Chicago has bird rights. Maybe Morey can pull off some magic and snag Love and Hood from the Cavs. Love’s contract isn’t horrendous for a legit 3rd option. He’s locked up long term. Hood is a very versatile defender who can knock down open 3s. The only question is how many picks would it take with the hot garbage that the rockets have to offer?

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

By every metric (simple and advanced) and the eye test and taking into consideration he has a high bball iq, he is one of the worst defenders at his position and in the league. His 15ppg would be as hollow as Melo's. The only value he could bring is a sharpshooter off the bench, and we have FAR greater needs right now. We are missing a decent starter at the 3 and a rotation-worthy backup 4.

How can we go off and get a backup SG when we have 2 of the best backup SG's in the league and the best starting SG? Would be a hell of a luxury, but one we can't afford right now.

BigMaloe and D-rock like this.
  17. saleem

No, he is a tweener on a big contract.

18. saleem

I didn't realize his defense was bad.
    Thanks for pointing that out.

19. saleem

I'm interested in Hood, but not for Love.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

What are these metrics you speak of? I’m curious where you’re getting this information. Brooklyn was no better or worse with him on the court last year based upon +/- data alone, which is a tremendous statement considering he’s one of the best perimeter shooters in the league.

Take, for example, Jimmy Butler. Everyone’s dream SF. Harris beats him in 18/19 data in: TS%, OWS, WS, OBPM and VORP. That’s offense alone (and minus the all of his headcase drama we’re currently witnessing in Philly). Defensively, though, he’s not far behind.

He’s played minutes at SF and is 6’6”. He’s developed quite the reputation, whether you’re willing to give him credit for it or not, as a 3&D that’s logged minutes at both the 2/3. As a Rocket, it’s hard to imagine a path where he’s not the default starter at the 3. This isn’t some sort of logjam scenario. His role and minutes would be very obvious. He’s basically a better version of EG at this point.

Like I’ve mentioned earlier in a couple posts, Harris is one of the best value contract in the league. And it would take an extraordinary sacrifice (I.e. swallowing Crabbe’s contract) to get Brooklyn to even listen. But I’m here willing to listen if Harris/Davis become available and BKN is willing to make a move.