1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Clint currently a top 5 big man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Jan 4, 2019.

1. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

I had this conversation with my co-worker debating if Clint is a top 5 big man in today game. Not counting boogie or zingis since they are out with injuries.
    What do you guys think?

Lawlruschang likes this.
  2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

On this team would you rather have KAT or Capela?

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

In before @YOLO crying about how we don't appreciate Clint

shvedsucks likes this.
  4. Garner

Garner Member

Capela not close.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

missed the part where i said that. now the posters who were crying about nothing especially last night, that's a different story

I guess you were right @Os Trigonum

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Honestly, and I say this with great candor, I'm not sure. He is posting monstrous numbers, but would those exist without Harden or an MDA system?

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

@Os Trigonum what'd I tell you? lol.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

no way Harden. Capela?? cf's posters such as @Dream Shook disagree

lw17 likes this.
  9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

We're f'd without Capela- that's all you need to know. His absence would be devastating. Who could we realistically get that would even come close to replicating his production, speed/stamina and fit within our offense ???

10. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Capela is a very good center, but I don't think he's top 5.

The problem I have with Capela is he's too easily bullied in his own paint. This year his rebounding and defense has been inconsistent as hell. I wouldn't even say he's the best finisher in the paint. The strongest part of his game is catching the alley and pick-and-roll baskets..... and his blocking has been great this year.

But there's no doubt he's improving every single year.

ak99999, lw17 and shvedsucks like this.
  11. Mr. Space City

embiid, davis jokic, gobert, cousins.

IvanLCPM likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is the best Houston Rocket Center, but to be All NBA he has to go to another team, and still post these numbers.

shvedsucks likes this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

No Space in my name. Make sure you @ me appropriately.

You have turned one bad half of bball from Clint into an entire campaign against people you think are now hating Clint. You are in every thread with a sneak diss. I've seen this from you before with Melo. You hang on to the bullsh-t. I hope this is not your new thing to dangle from. It's a trash posting style and I reject it.

ak99999 and shvedsucks like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

talent wise he may not be up there with the top 5 but his actual impact on the game is comparable to being one of the top bigs in the league. Ill take positive impact over empty stats anyday

Tankeio, rocks123 and ribbit like this.
  15. YallMean

YallMean Member

Who are the other 4?

Greek
    Embid
    Durant
    AD

Yep, he is and this is a very loosely defined big man group. If we just go by rebounds and paint points, he certainly is.

Though, he still has many areas that he can and should improve. For example, I am waiting on that mid range shot.

ak99999 likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's your issue. it wasn't even a bad half. what's trash is the ridiculous whining and crying about the little plays you and a few other were constantly posting about. At no point was he playing like "absolute garbage" like you kept whining about. i finally chimed in bc it was becoming unbearable how some of you had no idea what you were watching. then you got offended by responding to me. I said it last night, not something expecting coming from you but if you want to go down this road by all means im all for it

what about melo. I was right along with all the other melo doubters from day 1. does that also offend you? hang on to bullshit? oh you mean hang on to the crow people were ready to serve us melo doubters over and over and over again. oh ok. in that case yeah im glad things get thrown back in their face.

#16 YOLO, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Oh I agree with you there. Nene is no CC. It's just I think the market for Clint last summer was it was because owners even have a hesitancy to believe he will succeed in their systems. It doesn't take away from my appreciation or admiration of the guy.

Tfor3 likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

19. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

His ability catch in traffic, gather and reorient himself on the move, and finish hard or soft is absolutely elite. His rebounding is improving, his 1:1 defense against bigs is quite good, and his paint protection is solid. His other offensive skills are non-existent (though he has been recently flashing a bit more 'one dribble and finish' capability).

All in all, he's not going to be able to carry a team until he create his own offense, but as a partner with a dynamic point guard he is almost as ideal as one could wish for. And if he could even threaten a pick-and-pop one day, he would be top 5.

ak99999, lw17, roksoer and 1 other person like this.
  20. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Not until he gets his interior defense back to where it was in the Playoffs, but he's been really good on the offensive end this year.

topfive and noppeper like this.