1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Have you seen the list of free agent CBs? It looks like Kareem Jackson and Bradley Roby.

If I'm the Texans, I'm taking the best of the top CB or OL available to draft or trade up for.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Did anyone read this bit from the walterfootball article posted previously:

"Prior to the 2015 NFL Draft, long-time Texans scout Ed Lambert raved to me about David Johnson and how he wanted the Texans to land him. Bill O'Brien, however, demanded the Texans take Jaelen Strong instead of Johnson in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft. As a result of O'Brien's mistake, the Texans still need a long-term running back. The red-zone offense has struggled because of the backfield issues. Lamar Miller is slowing down, and O'Brien could be on his way to running D'Onta Foreman out of town. Imagine if O'Brien had listened to his scouts and Houston had David Johnson to go with Deshaun Watson, DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller. In my latest mock 2019 NFL Draft, I have the Texans taking Alabama running back Damien Harris, and he could be a good addition for Houston."

Read more: http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2019mmd_16.php#ixzz5bCyI2iqd

Good god dang. This, combined with another gem earlier in the article:

"Sources with the team say Bill O'Brien did not want the Texans to draft Watson. O'Brien wanted Pat Mahomes, and if Mahomes did not make it to them, then O'Brien wanted to draft Alabama left tackle Cam Robinson and have Tom Savage be the starting quarterback for the 2017 season. O'Brien is known to be a poor college evaluator, but fortunately for the Texans, the organization did not listen to him when it came to passing on Deshaun Watson."

Read more: http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2019mmd_16.php#ixzz5bCyflOjV

I really hope Brian Gaine is running this draft, and O'Brien just keeps his chin out of it.

coachbadlee likes this.
  3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

OT
    CB
    RB
    WR

That’s the order we should be targeting players

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

A legit, but time conference, LT please. Sick and tired of watching a small college project suck balls.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

1st round CBs have been very good the past few seasons including 2 of the last 3 DROY. Even Kevin Johnson was pretty good his rookie year.

Rudyc281 and K-Low_4_Prez like this.
  6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I just don’t see CB as being as big of a priority... OL is needed ASAP we can’t let Deshaun get hit like he did this year or we will regret it. What’s the point in having good DBs if your starting QB is hurt?

Just look at KC they are the best team in the AFC and their DBs couldn’t stop a nose bleed.

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I just don’t think it would be smart to draft a 1st round CB... 1st round has to be OL unless there just aren’t any available with 1st round grades.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

After today's game, we have to get 2 OTs and at least another OG/C from either the draft or 2019 FA class. This is a site I like that has some pretty interesting evals on the top prospects... https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/06/28/2019-nfl-draft-prospect-database/

I really would like one of these kids with our first round pick...

He's their 27th best player and would be a good LT candidate...
    YODNY CAJUSTE https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/10/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-yodny-cajuste/

He's their 37th best player and would be a good RT candidate...
    DALTON RISNER https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/11/28/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-dalton-risner/

Depending on how RD 1 goes, I'd like two of these guys in the second round...

A 3/4 DE isn't a priority, but this kid would look great learning from JJ and gives us potential on DL
    ZACH ALLEN https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/28/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-zach-allen/

If we miss out on Yodny in RD1, this kid could be groomed to be our LT for a long time
    BOBBY EVANS https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/23/2019-nfl-draft-play-profile-bobby-evans/

I love the Wisconsin OL prospects, but not sure where they'll end up in the first few rounds. While I realize we probably need a CB prospect, I'd maybe look to someone we like in RD 3 or 5, and then maybe add another later.

No Worries, Wattafan and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yes, and some or all of it has been disputed by more reputable sources.

And I like walterfootball.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Your best CB is on the verge of retirement. Your second best is much better as a safety and is about to be a free agent. In a division with Luck and TY, you need CBs. It's the only reason we are worried about playing the Colts.

They have spent draft picks on the line in the last two drafts (4th and 3rd). There are no sure-fire QBs or RBs in the 1st round so I expect a lot of the good CBs and OLinemen to go quick. Can't wait till it's too late.

CallMeTheDream and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Your best CB is on the verge of retirement. Your second best is much better as a safety and is about to be a free agent. In a division with Luck and TY, you need CBs. It's the only reason we are worried about playing the Colts.

They have spent draft picks on the line in the last two drafts (4th and 3rd). There are no sure-fire QBs or RBs in the 1st round so I expect a lot of the good CBs and OLinemen to go quick. Can't wait till it's too late.

12. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

An under the radar FA signing I hope the Texans make a run at ... CB Bryce Callahan

Marteen likes this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I expect one of the DBs in
    Baker
    Oruwariye
    Murphy

To be on the board when we draft.

raining threes and coachbadlee like this.
  14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well Obrien makes asinine play calls so this would not surprise me at all. This is why I think he a Rick Smith didn't get along.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya hoping the Giants, Jags and Redskins get antsy and pull their trigger early on QBs. This draft is ridiculously rich at DL which is good for us however.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That would be too good to be true if Baker made it that far down. If so, you take him no questions asked. Murphy would be my second choice.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

What lineman would have to be on the board for you to take offensive line over DB.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

IMO, there will be good enough linemen in the 2nd (Benschawel, Deiter) and 3rd (Evans, Dillard, Dintino) rounds. I just couldn't pass up on players like Baker, Wilkins or Murphy at 27.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Texanstradamus

1. CB
    2. OT
    2. OT (Via Seattle)
    3. RB

We can add another corner and WR in Free agency

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Teams will hold off on DLine since you can still probably get good talent later in the draft. Huge drop off with CBs.