1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Dec 28, 2018.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Coming up on that time again. Really interested in seeing what Gaines can do with a full arsenal of picks. Have to consider last year's draft a success given what he had to work with. Reid is a stud with Keke/Akins/Thomas showing flashes here and there. Rankin needs a lot of work. We traded our 4th for DT which unfortunately didn't work out at the end but well worth the shot.

Current Draft Picks
    1st Round
    2nd Rounder (via Seattle)
    2nd Rounder
    3rd Rounder
    5th Rounder
    6th Rounder
    7th Rounder

Positional Needs
    OL
    CB
    WR
    RB

Will try to post draft news as it comes out but there a few early notes for the Texans.

- Not a particularly talent draft class for OL. Could possibly stay put and get a top 2-3 OT.
    - Deep draft for CBs.
    - Extremely talented DL class that could push some position of needs down to us.

red5rocket, Marteen, Clutch and 2 others like this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Offensive line: (get at least 3-4 of them)
    1. Dalton Risner, #71 Kansas St.
    2. Tyler Biadasz, #61 Wisconsin
    3. Beau Benschawel, #66? Wisconsin
    4. Michael Deiter, #60? Wisconsin
    5. Andre Dillard, #60 Washington St.
    6. Connor Dintino, #76 Pitt
    7. Alex Bars, #71 N. Dame
    8. Bobby Evans, #71 Oklahoma

Risner or Biadasz should be picked possibly in the 1st. Depends on what other players are available. Definitely pick 2 in the second round. They could possibly get another in the later rounds. The more the better.

BigShasta and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. gucci888

No Jonah Williams, Jawaan Taylor or Greg Little? Most mocks have them as the top 3 tackles in the draft unless you don't think they'll be there. But ya I'm going 2 OL and 1 CB with our first 3 picks, don't really care which order but we need talent bad.

Wattafan and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Of course heavy on O-line. But keep eye on CB from Penn St. as well

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think Williams is going top 10. The other will more than likely be gone by the time we pick. I'm hoping Deandre Baker makes it to our 1st pick but I doubt it. I'm willing to go BPA in the 1st.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

David Long, #22 out Michigan is a DB to pay attention to in maybe like the 2nd-3rd round.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. awc713

awc713 Member

Posting this quote just because I thought it was interesting. Disclaimer that I know less than nothing about NCAA FB. There's obviously more in the post that hits BOB hard, but I found the "dream scenario" interesting. I don't know anything about Harris, but drafting a RB in the first round was a head scratcher for me.

8. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

If cody ford is available, you draft cody ford. Otherwise, wait till rd 2 or even rd 3 for tackle help. This draft needs to be corner heavy for Houston. People will not like to hear it but they will most likely be after maybe 1 or 2 lineman for depth and more back end help on corners

orosiriley likes this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

No way take RB first round.

coachbadlee likes this.
  10. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I think all 4 of our first 4 picks should be OL... just get the **** solved now so we can build around Deshaun in the future

Remix and coachbadlee like this.
  11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I think all 4 of our first 4 picks should be OL... just get the **** solved now so we can build around Deshaun in the future

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

And who's your starting CB?

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I haven't started looking towards the draft yet, so I don't know many specific prospects, but here's what I'd do:

Round 1: Take a stud tackle. If ones not available, take a stud corner.

2A: Get a speedy receiver. Someone that can fill Fuller's role when he gets injured. We've got our slot guys. Keke and Carter are great for their role. We need a dependable guy to play opposite Hopkins. If we had one that was good or always healthy, the offense opens up immensely.

2B: Offensive lineman

3: Corner

4: Running Back

5: Another lineman

6:BPA

7:BPA

I'm actually quite nervous for this draft. Rick Smith was killer in the first and second rounds, but not so much mid rounds. Gaine seems to have found some mid round guys, even if most thought some were reaches (Jordan Akins), but we have no idea how he'll evaluate the premier talent of the draft.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Marquise brown could be available at our pick.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

There is a good shot that the Texans take a flyer on Clemson WR Hunter Renfrow in the 4th to 6th round.

The Texans have a need for another quality WR as our 2/3 can't stay on the field.

There is obviously the Clemson connection there and I wouldn't be opposed to a second slot similar to what the Patriots did with Edleman/Welker/Ammendola.

JamesC, red5rocket and Two Sandwiches like this.
  16. gucci888

Would be a good pick if Gaines can address the OL or CB in FA first. Otherwise I’m still leaning on grabbing the best of this available. Brown is electric though.

red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. raining threes

Mitch Hyatt doing his best Davenport impersonation.

18. raining threes

It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if Gaine drafted all offense and added two CB's in FA.

19. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Either way rookie CBs tend to be garbage... I’d look to the FA market for DBs

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Now I want 5 linemen picked.