1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

While doubtful, signing Bryce Harper would give the Astros a daunting lineup

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DCkid, Dec 11, 2018.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I heard this mentioned today listening to DC sports radio. Was curious what they had to say about it. Probably not going to happen, but the door has opened up a little now that there's been some rumors that Nationals/Yankees/Cubs/Cardinals have dropped out.

I think the Astros would be less interested in Harper than Harper would be interested in the Astros.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2018/12/11/bryce-harper-free-agent-astros/2273232002/https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2018/12/11/bryce-harper-free-agent-astros/2273232002/

2. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

No thanks. Signing any player not named Mike Trout to a 12 yr $400MM contract is a bad idea.

Maintain payroll space to 1) lock up Correa and Bregman long term and 2) pull off another Verlanderesque trade for an ace.

edwardc likes this.
  3. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

There are a lot of factors at play. I’m swaying to the side that says we can afford Harper.

4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

We should just give him a 1 year 49 million dollar contract. Would he turn that down?

5. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Sheesh they making that much nowadays in the mlb?

6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

No clue, I was just reading the article which said Astros shed 49 million in salary this year.

John Harvey and conquistador#11 like this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Handicapping current Harper odds:

Dodgers 40%
    Phillies 20%
    White Sox 15%
    Astros 10%
    Others 15%

8. Nook

Nook Member

From what I have heard.....

Harper:

Phillies 50%
    White Sox 25%
    Dodgers 25%

The Phillies really need to make a big play and have the financing. The only reason they do not have a higher shot is that Harper really likes the limelight. The White Sox have the money to match any offer that any other club makes but I don't think Harper has any interest in going to Chicago to play for the South Siders.

Machado

Yankees 50+%

Machado is hell bent on being a NY Yankee. As long as they are close to the offers of the Phillies, White Sox and others, he will go there.

Nippystix and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clearly, you're rounding. It's probably more like

Phillies 49.5%
    White Sox 24.5%
    Dodgers 24.5%

That means Astros have a 1.5% chance, which is really a 2% chance, which really is pretty good odds. Harper to Astros confirmed.

Nippystix, CometsWin and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It seems like if it’s purely about money, it’ll be Philly. If it’s about a mix of all the usual factors, it’ll be LA. Up until yesterday I felt like LA might not actually be bidding, but now it looks pretty clear they are in the mix, in which case I would think they’d be the clear favorites. But Boras tends to get his clients to focus on the money, so maybe you’re right and Philly is the favorite.

Have you heard if the Astros are even in the mix?