1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Rockets trying to unload Brandon Knight by adding a pick or two

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, Dec 7, 2018.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

I myself believe that Morey wants to trade Knight for an expiring contract. It is more of the salary dump trade than acquiring talents.
    https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...mors-houston-rockets-shopping-brandon-knight/

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So Brandon becomes the next Anderson.

Elephant810 and lw17 like this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Ugh, IF this is true, the Ryan Anderson signing continues to haunt us. We already gave up a medium quality player (Melton) just to turn Anderson into different corpses. Now we're about to give up picks to keep shoveling, shoveling, shoveling our way out of this awful bench.

Zergling, Richie_Rich, Easy and 9 others like this.
  4. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

FRP with Knight might get us a better return than a FRP with Anderson though. Both might require a pick but the end result could be slightly better.

BigggReddd likes this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Everything screams punt on this year.

Next year they'll have expiring contracts - Knight, Gordon, Nene.

Next year its possible GSW might not have either KD or Cousins.

Harden and CP3 will be older... but maybe if they have a "rest" year they can be fresher, lol.

If DM adds a 1st rounder with Knight to get back a ho hum talent (im thinking JR Smith, George Hill types), that would suck...

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

2nd round prospect, not medium quality player. If you look at Melton’s stats he hasn’t done much to prove he’s more then a prospect.

Reeko, ak99999, cbs1507 and 1 other person like this.
  7. BigBum

BigBum Member

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

There is NO WAY I would attach a first to Knight given the way things have gone to this point.

If I wanted to dump salary, I’d be looking to move Gordon for a 1st in return.

9. BigBum

BigBum Member

This team can't make the playoffs without Gordon.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

At this point I'm not sure that worrying about the playoffs is a smart goal. Financially the team probably wants the playoff revenue, but the smarter strategy is probably to get some assets to try to improve this offseason. Right now we aren't a good team and there's not a mechanism by which we can get better next year.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

12. napalm06

Nowhere in this article does it limit the discussion to second round picks.

But regarding Melton, why should we expect a prospect to be more than a prospect? The point is that he is a bench body that could grow into a contributor. At least some of the signs are there. The only similar quality player on our bench is Gary Clark. Melo, MCW, Chriss, Qi, Nene, and arguably Hartenstein and Green are wasted roster spots at this point. All would probably struggle to break any rotation in the league, but we have all of them. Melton just scored 21 points a few days ago in a game. With second round picks, you like guys showing random sparks and flashes.

If Morey can turn Knight and a 2nd rounder into two end-of-rotation players, I'll be all for it. I just feel like we've been tying up cap space and bodies in unplayable guys for too long now, especially for a team with a short window.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The tenor is obviously them trying to improve, not dump salary.

That said, if they still appear to be on the outside looking in at the deadline, moving Gordon for a pick isn't a horrible idea.

EXCEPT... a team that wants him is likely a playoff team, so their pick isn't SUPER valuable... and there's not a lot of teams owed good first round picks that would move on them. Like Boston isn't trading their Kinds/Sixers pick for Gordon. Atlanta isn't trading their Mavs pick. Maybe you could do something with Philly. Gordon for Wilson Chandler plus the 2021 first rounder they are owed from Miami and the 2019 second rounder they are owed from Chicago?

14. BigBum

BigBum Member

a 2nd rounder has little value, the teams are not interested. It's more like First than Second.

It is a good idea to break Knight into two pieces.

15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Trade away Knight with picks 2020
    Trade away Tucker with picks 2021
    Trade away Gordon with picks 2022
    Trade away Chris Paul with 4 1st Rd Picks in 2025, 2026,2027,2028

When will the Rockets Draft in the First Round, in 15 years

napalm06 likes this.
  16. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I saw the other day people on a Bulls fan page that suggested we give up Gary Clark and a first or second round pick for Jabari Parker and/or Justin Holiday. Would y’all make that trade? I’m not sure. I know this roster needs a shakeup. If we could somehow get Robin Lopez and Jabari that would be sick.

ak99999 likes this.
  17. napalm06

I would do that, especially like you said if we can get Robin for an unplayable piece, Knight, Chriss, MCW.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't get it. Either they find value in him being on the team or they hope to trade him for a pick? I guess that means his only value to the team is hoping he plays to raise his trade value?

I'm not a big fan of trade rumors making players play worse but in this case...how are you supposed to commit to a team and sacrifice for a team by putting winning first over personal stats and showcasing when you're treated like this?

I'm just saying. I think this stuff matters a bit. It's very hard for a team to operate as a team when everyone is on the trading block. If they are going to rebuild than commit to the rebuild.

Edit: Nevermind, didn't read it right, they are attaching picks to him to try and make him more enticing to teams. Yeah...at the very least let the guy play and see if he can help the team. With how this team is playing right now we need our picks...

#18 JayGoogle, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Tristan_fiore likes this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol no, Parker sucks, no way in hell i move a 1st rounder for a younger/less talented/more injured Melo.

A 2nd rounder for Holiday is something i would consider, but without Clark.

Mathloom and vonwafer like this.
  20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

if we're just looking to give assets (picks) just purge Knights contract - without hope of acquiring a rotational piece... then mgmt has officially thrown in the towel on the season...

Richie_Rich and snowconeman22 like this.