1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you are the Pelicans do you trade AD?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Jump Ship, Dec 7, 2018.

?

Keep AD or trade him fro best offer?

1. Keep AD, hope he re-signs

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Trade AD and get what you can

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

There is no chance AD will commit to an extension and most likely wants out or does not re-sign in the off season. Do you think it is best to trade Davis and get something or keep him until he leaves?

The Rockets should offer Paul, Capela and picks to NO and picks to Cle to get Love to NO. If the Pelicans cant find a deal for Jrue you offer them Gordon and Knight for him straight up. Rebuild around AD and Harden.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Do everything I can to keep him.

I would have offered 4 1sts for Paul George like the rockets did.

I'd be offering g 4 1sts for Beal right now.

I'd be doing anything to pair AD with another all star. Jrue is great but hes a 3rd bahaha at best.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Cleverly disguised "hey guys, do you think my random trade idea for AD will work?" thread

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh I trade him. Clear all long term salary. Move to Seattle. Fire everybody in the front office. Hire real people.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

NO is not going to trade AD

6. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Do you guys think the Lakers should trade their expirings for a star player like chris paul, or waste another year of lebrons prime and cross their fingers a big free agent signs with them?

Not really. I dont think it will, but be real they have to start considering trading him to get max value for him while he still has years left on his contract. You wait until his contract year and the pelies limit themselves to the teams he wants rather than giving smaller ones a chance.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not yet, but getting close. AD has a player option after next year, so is effectively a FA not this offseason but the following, which means if the Pelicans ever do want to trade him, they have to do it at this deadline, this offseason, or next deadline (more or less... really any time prior to next trade deadline).

They'll get value back at next deadline... but definitely less as he makes it known (publically, privately but leaked) on preferred destinations.

They really need to be all-in on adding another all-star... not sure if/how they can do that without giving up at least some value.

They probably can/should move one of Mirotic or Randle. Probably Randle. ETwaun Moore might get them some value. Randle+Moore = $17.4 million of value. Wes Johnson adds another $6, so with the 125% they could probably swing for some decent salary all-star. Would need to add a pick. For example that package + a pick would work for Bradley Beal... not sure if/why Wizards do that, but just point out.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  8. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

The player option will never be used by davis. It is just freak injury insurance and smart on AD and his agents part.

Next season is his contract year, they are capped out meaning they cannot sign anyone significant other than a MLE sigining and a small player depending on Randle. they dont have any good picks, or a good pick themselves, their cap situation is not good or bad.

They would be unwise to let the clock tick out. Right now ad is probably saying he is unsure, and as we get closer to next year he will say he wants to be a free agent with his player option securing any injuries like cousins. We all know it will probably happen like it does to most teams, but ad gave thr pelies some good years, now they have to look at maximizing their return on that season of sucking to give rebuilding another go.

smaller teams are interested in ad now because they can convince him to give it more than a year to make it work with an offseason to make improvements for him...ad well as many other reasons. Next season, only the big teams will throw scraps and a pick for him unless he produces some list of teams he will sign with.

9. JayZ750

They can still get a decent offer this upcoming offseason. There has been enough players that moved a year before now and have perhaps gone on to not end up where one might expect, and AD is potentially so good, that you could at least see smaller players get involved which will force the bigger players to make "real" offers.

But that said, you're absolutely right... at 13-13 in a super competitive West, they can not afford to stand pat this trade deadline. And honestly, if they're on the outside looking in at the deadline still, and I'm them, I'm more than happy to consider trading him for a potential quick rebuild. What does that mean?

Give him to Atlanta for their first and Dallas' first this year. I think Atlanta would do that. And for the Pelicans sake, how many years can you miss the playoffs, or barely make it with him, keep trying to trade for / add talent next to him - Cousins, Mirotic, Rondo, Holiday, Randle - no obvious multi-great players other than Cousins which was working I guess but not amazingly. 7 years, 2 playoff appearances, 5-9 playoff record. It'd be one thing if here in year 7 they were building on last year and a home seed and 2nd/3rd round at least type contender. But they're not. I have no confidence whether they'll make the playoffs or not.

Whether that's organizations fault, or the fact that AD isn't a system in himself type superstar (ala Lebron, Harden types), or the West just being ridiculously good, or whatever.

Bear in mind if the Pelicans are potential lottery fodder, AND if the Mavs are at least teetering and probably less likely to make it than more, and the Hawks suck, something like Bazemore, Lin, Mavs 1st, Hawks first for AD would have the Pelicans DEFINITELY sucking from trade deadline on, and give them 3 lotto picks. Definitively two. And one very high one.

Just a thought.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Thats a good trade, i can see the hawks putting their logo on his brow. Anyways, yeah the hawks get 1.5 seasons of davis, a chance to sign soneone significant in the off-season to match up with davis and his full bird rights. They would be all over that deal this season, but if you wait until the off season then these types of deals are gone. And the more bidders you have the better.

11. JayZ750

Yes, this is a this trade deadline deal.

I mean I'm not all on board with the Hawks, that's for sure. I'm not like, give the Hawks Trae Young and AD, and you never know, maybe KD comes next.

But... hey, you do never know. They'll have zillions of dollars of cap space to add a KD and someone else.... or someone, which might get them in the playoffs in the East... and Atlanta is a solid southeast city, big market, in the East... maybe he stays.

12. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Wait, can they add someone if they absorbed davis salary with kent bazemore eating up 20mil after he uses his player option?

13. JayZ750

Bazemore, Lin, Mavs 1sts, their unprotected first for AD.

They have like $55 million committed next year assuming Bazemore exercises. Remove Bazemore's $19 million, add AD's $27 million, and they are at $63 million.

Current estimate has the salary cap at $109 million... so plenty of room.

14. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

This still makes sense, but i see the pelicans wanting another protected pick or two if they are taking back bazemore. The hawks would protect the pick(s) in a way that if they give it to the pelicans it means AD re-signs in ATL and they are a top 10 team in the league.

It also give atlanta the cap space to bring in a major player or two to build with AD. Good trade.

I am sure they could find a third team willing to give a pick swap for Lin. Or more if the pelicans take back some more bad salary.

#14 Jump Ship, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  15. JayZ750

Yeah, but its a definitive rebuild. They'll want to be bad one more year. And Bazemore expires the next year, so that's a contract they can then maybe move for something.

Yeah, it's a risky move for the Hawks, with AD only on for one more year... but the Pelicans aren't trading AD for a pick outside the top 6 - right now it'd be a top 2 pick, but it could get pushed down to 5 of course.

Good call. Or get something of value at least, since Lin is expiring.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

They should, if not now, next summer, cause he's not staying there...just like George, Kawhi, Butler etc. Players know when an organization is not good enough to put them into a great situation, sucks for the Pelicans fans but eh...the organization has been bad if not trash for years...

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought he had another year before the player option. if that's the case, you don't trade him until next year

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

If we trade those players for AD, we become the Pelicans

19. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

This is so stupid, I don’t know why teams keep making this mistake. If you wait until his contract year which is next season, since he is definitely not gonna pick up that player option and it is just injury insurance, then you limit yourself to the teams that he will re-sign with because no team wants to trade much for a one-year rental. If you trade him now, then you give Teams a chance to build around him during the off-season and hope he re-signs, this allows more teams to trade for him helping his value.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This summer the Pelicans can offer him a super max extension. AD will either take it, or won't. If he declines it, the Pelicans have to immediately trade him to the highest bidder. Boston has the most assets AND they are in the East.

It's that simple.